Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Nickys on Soi Buakhao. Bert's new place, Tropical Bar on the darkside, think its on Soi Khao Talo (sp), but sure you will find more detail on t'interweb.☺

Tropical bar is now way out on soi kaho noi..... according to the internet...

I intend to go to Mr Burger for breakfast on Khao Talo next week so shall enquire more..

Nickys has never appealed to me as it seemed to be continually for sale..

The foods good at Nickys and it will save you a trip to the dark side.

Tropical bar is now way out on soi kaho noi..... according to the internet...

Why did Bert move at all - was a pretty good place to stay ?

Posted from my mobile so I blame any spelling errors on that.

I never went to Tropical Berts and haven't been to the new place but, if it's the place I think I have seen advertised,it's a bigger bar / restaurant with a swimming pool. It looks like a really nice place.

Why did Bert move at all - was a pretty good place to stay ?

Posted from my mobile so I blame any spelling errors on that.

I heard that the land owner wanted everybody out to make way for a new development..

I never went to Tropical Berts and haven't been to the new place but, if it's the place I think I have seen advertised,it's a bigger bar / restaurant with a swimming pool. It looks like a really nice place.

I went there regularly until a few years ago. I liked sitting at the bar and chatting but I then brought my family across from UK and took them there and the food wasn't good. Never returned...

18 Coins on Soi Bhukaow opposite Sutus Court just South of Hellfire Crossing sold them last year. The restaurant has moved over the road next to Sutus Ct so it's likely one or the other will have them.

It's good to hear of people who still appreciate the sacrifices past generations made but successive UK governements have rendered those sacrifices to have been made in vain. Germany rules Europe, the Poles on whose behalf we declared wat in 1939 are nicking our jobs and the Iraqi affair has proven to be a fiasco. When the last of our boys left Camp Bastion in Afghanistan they had to take the memorial stone to their dead with them because it would have been smashed to smithereens by the locals before their plane had touched down in Brize Norton.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 Coins on Soi Bhukaow opposite Sutus Court just South of Hellfire Crossing sold them last year. The restaurant has moved over the road next to Sutus Ct so it's likely one or the other will have them.

It's good to hear of people who still appreciate the sacrifices past generations made but successive UK governements have rendered those sacrifices to have been made in vain.

I certainly carry my own emotional baggage. Just over recent years I tend to cry a lot when I am happy or see my children happy... guilt I suppose...

Like many ex services I hope that nobody has to endure what I have endured, know what I know, not tell things that should be told...

There's a collection box in the Triangle Bar as well. although not Air con, I was in there for a couple of cold SM Lights which cost 135 baht buy one get one free during the day long happy hour :thumbup . Good spot for people watching too.

There's a collection box in the Triangle Bar as well. although not Air con, I was in there for a couple of cold SM Lights which cost 135 baht buy one get one free during the day long happy hour :thumbup . Good spot for people watching too.

Good call... haven't been in there a while... might make it my first option....

I picked one up at Casual with a Sunday Roast on the Darkside.

Today I popped into The Booze Lounge and they had poppies too.

I picked one up at Casual with a Sunday Roast on the Darkside.

Today I popped into The Booze Lounge and they had poppies too.

Thanks.... where is casual..???

Thanks.... where is casual..???

Sorry Bullfrog I'm hopeless...........I know my way round the Darkside by where bars are. If someone says to me, 'It's on the same soi as Paradise and Mango and on the left before you get to Black Sheep" Then I've enough to find the place. And that's the only way (without going to google maps) that i can describe it's position to you........One extra hint the bar is bright Orange.

Booze-Lounge is on Soi Kow'ta'Lo..........For some reason that soi name has stuck. They sell poppies there.

Edited by atlas2

Sorry Bullfrog I'm hopeless...........I know my way round the Darkside by where bars are. If someone says to me, 'It's on the same soi as Paradise and Mango and on the left before you get to Black Sheep" Then I've enough to find the place. And that's the only way (without going to google maps) that i can describe it's position to you........One extra hint the bar is bright Orange.

Booze-Lounge is on Soi Kow'ta'Lo..........For some reason that soi name has stuck. They sell poppies there.

Thanks mate... and thanks to all for the options given... Today is a no booze day so shall stay in and have a trip to si bukhao Thursday and Khao Talo Friday..

I walked passed there around 10am yesterday, saw the collection box but the place was empty so walked round to Witherspoons for a draught Leffe Brun and bought poppies there... :chogdee2

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have observed 2 minutes silence on 11-11-11 for 51 years now, for those known personally to me and those that served in any conflict anywhere and will continue to do so as long as I am able to.

I have also continued throughout that time to support the Royal British Legion, however that stops as of now. I was recently informed of an old comrade that had died destitute very recently and there were insufficient fund to bury him so the RBL were approached with regards a small donations towards burying him properly. They were asked by various people but turned the request down out of hand, in the end one of his friends posted his situation on facebook and the funds were raised overnight by surviving comrades, some of whom had not seen him for 40 years.

I therefore decided to investigate the RBL accounts which as a charity they have to submit, and saw they are investing 9 million GBP in investigating and securing new ways in which to raise funds, whilst sitting on assets of 100s of millions GBP. However they were content to let a British veteran go to a pauper's grave.

Over the years I have donated funds that now amount to tens of thousands of GBP to the RBL, what a waste and futile effort. Not one more penny! their latest blurb;

"We have also introduced our new brand position, ‘Live On – to the memory of the fallen and the future of the living’". Brand Position Just another business pretending to be a charity that no longer represents what it was started for.

I am informed this would not have happened to an American Veteran, nor an Australian as you would have taken care of those that served. If that is the case then I salute your country whilst bowing my head in shame at my own.

• Upvote 2

Cerberus,

A very saddening and poor state of affairs indeed. Like many charities, it would seem the RBL has succumbed to accountants running it in their own interests rather than it's original purpose.

I find more deeply concerning however, those who have and continue to pass away, forgotten and unwanted in old people's homes and some, sat alone in their living room with only memories of comrades and loved ones for company. How many of these people have passed away out of sight of those who would have given them some of our time, time to listen, understand and even maybe share a story and a laugh? (because when one gets old time is much more important than money), but have been let down and betrayed by the one organisation which should have given them respite.

The RBL have not only let those they are supposed to help down, they have let themselves down. We live in a country which takes more care and has more concern for the rights of animals than it does it's pensioners and war heroes.

I always wear my poppy with pride, I also ensure my family wear one as well. If this is the attitude of the RBL then I will no longer give them any of my money, and if that means no longer wearing a poppy then so be it, and if I am ever asked why I'm not wearing one then I'll merely tell the person to have a look at the accounts.

Help for Heroes is possibly a more worthwhile cause, from now on the cash I donate to the RBL will be going to them.

It's shameful, absolutely and utterly shameful and thank you for sharing this with us.

Butch mate, all of my staff requested to wear a poppy when the Lass explained to them why she and I were wearing one. Today I told her I could not get more poppies as I was not willing to donate further funds the the RBL. We now have 68 poppies, enough for each one of them to wear and all made by themselves.

Not only did the RBL refuse to offer any assistance so did his Regimental Association. These are the days when they all talk the talk but only for their own ends, none walk the walk for which the charity was set up.

So sad when things come to this and there is no answer to it forth coming. One possible answer would be is to get the media to take it on board our social media with a copy forwarded to RBL HQ but then again its proud old soldiers we are talking about, people with dignity! Its a pity there are a few arseholes in all walks of life.