Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Where's the best places to go for Songkran

So I'll make it to town the day before and will wake up, my first day in Thailand this year, all set to get wet!

Where's the best places to go for water-fighting chaos, and where else would you recommend for general mayhem?

Thanks all.

Mr. R.

So I'll make it to town the day before and will wake up, my first day in Thailand this year, all set to get wet!

Where's the best places to go for water-fighting chaos, and where else would you recommend for general mayhem?

Thanks all.

Mr. R.

Soi 6? Soi 7? Soi 8? LK Metro? Walking Street? I'm sure you'll find something.

It is cancelled this year due to the continuing drought situation.

(I wish).

• Upvote 1

Soi 7 and Soi 8 are always good. The corner of Soi 7 and the small Soi that joins it to Soi 8 (where the Eagle Bar is) was one of my favourite places. It gets very intense there! The stretch of second Road where the Central Festival shopping mall is gets very busy too. They normally have a large screen set up with loud music and water cannons there.

Anywhere but Pattaya. I loath it. If it were a couple of days, not so bad, but a whole week of getting drenched every day, is too much much for me.

I could enjoy one day of it, perhaps, but that is it. Each to their own.

• Upvote 2

the last day is the best ,

get a waterproof camera start out early and take a long walk , beach rd , second rd as many side sois as you can,

It's the day when Thai familys all come out and join in ,

a lot of fun to be had ,

Joe

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

I guess it gets tiring if you've experienced it lots, and don't like getting wet.

I on the other hand suffer from neither of these afflictions. :party

Actually my choice could also be to stick in BK for the festivities. I don't really mind, but thought that Pattaya may have laid back approach to it all. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Also, as a side note, I may well hit the clubs, bars, or pop into a gogo or two. Do some of the pretty girls head home to families for the festivities, or is it business/partying as usual and just as busy as normal ?

Bangkok is a better choice - they keep it to 2-3 days. But if you really like 7-10 days of increasing hovoc go to Pattaya. You can even have the main days in both Bangkok and Pattaya since it is later in Pattaya.

Posted from my mobile so I blame any spelling errors on that.

Edited by Odense

Thanks all.

Mr. R.

The best places to go would be:

1. Cambodia

2. Hong Kong

3. Malaysia

4. Indonesia

Anywhere where total plonkers don't do the idiocy that is Songkran in Pattaya.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll be back in Thailand after an almost 20 year hiatus. I will be arriving on the 14th to BKK for two nights then on to Pattaya on the 16th. Does Songkan really extend for several more days on Pattaya in full force?

Yes, and in fact, it builds up to a crescendo the night of the 18th and the day of the 19th.

On the night of the 18th, water is traditionally thrown ALL NIGHT, at least on Walking Street, so be aware of that.

On the 19th, it's a full day of mad water throwing with grid locked roads.

I think I'll mostly just hibernate in the house, get stocked up before it starts and maybe, just maybe go one day. I've done it once when Cherry Bar was still on Soi 8 and enjoyed it, but getting there on the bike was chaotic to say the least as they have no shame drenching you no matter where you are or who you are.

CB

I'm really going to try and not moan about Songkran excessively this year.

I hate it like a lot on this thread, I realize the reason I hate it is because I love the town for the other 51 weeks and I can look forward to that.

In answer to the OP, Beach Rd soi 7/8 seems to be where the festivities are at their worst.

Enjoy

I guess it gets tiring if you've experienced it lots, and don't like getting wet.

I on the other hand suffer from neither of these afflictions. :party

Actually my choice could also be to stick in BK for the festivities. I don't really mind, but thought that Pattaya may have laid back approach to it all. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Also, as a side note, I may well hit the clubs, bars, or pop into a gogo or two. Do some of the pretty girls head home to families for the festivities, or is it business/partying as usual and just as busy as normal ?

You can do both, Bkk limits its Songkran madness to a couple of days lately always before Pattaya celebrates Songkran. Pattaya drags it out for a week.

If it is your first time, go to Bkk and hit Silom first in the early afternoon and then Soi 4 Nana later. If that doesn't get your fill you can make the trip to Pattaya and get wet for the next 5 days but the last day is the big day in Pattaya. If you go to that don't plan on getting and rides out of there for 24 Hours as any roads open will be jammed assuming a taxi would even consent to go.

As far as girls go, many go home for Songkran just like anyone else does anywhere else on a major holiday but there will be plenty around willing to take your Baht.

My main memory of Songkran in Pattaya is a bad ear infection, getting back to the hotel stinking of dirty water and generally getting pissed off.

My hint for anyone going :

Ziplock bags. More ziplock bags and some Ziplock bags, deodorant as well as some vaseline and cotton wool to put in your ear to stop the dirty water getting into it as you walk down Soi 8 and someone chucks a bucket of what is effectively filtered sewage at you.

Like masturbating with a cheese grater, sometimes interesting but mostly painful.

Edited by Butch

I'm really going to try and not moan about Songkran excessively this year.

I hate it like a lot on this thread, I realize the reason I hate it is because I love the town for the other 51 weeks and I can look forward to that.

In answer to the OP, Beach Rd soi 7/8 seems to be where the festivities are at their worst.

Enjoy

Must be a concern getting to work all dressed up in Songkran!

Must be a concern getting to work all dressed up in Songkran!

Yes Jacko it is and I would always ask anyone who defends Songkran to ask themselves if they would be happy arriving at work soaking wet. But, as I already said, I'm exhausted arguing about Songkran, I'm going to grin and bear it this year.

Yes Jacko it is and I would always ask anyone who defends Songkran to ask themselves if they would be happy arriving at work soaking wet. But, as I already said, I'm exhausted arguing about Songkran, I'm going to grin and bear it this year.

Must suck to not have the resources to escape for a week. Even Larry who begged for donations for a back operation is able to get out.

Anyway you are seen as the help from most people some type of working class scum

Must suck to not have the resources to escape for a week. Even Larry who begged for donations for a back operation is able to get out.

Anyway you are seen as the help from most people some type of working class scum

I've got resources to go on vacation but boss said I have to work it
  • Upvote 1

I've got resources to go on vacation but boss said I have to work it

Pesky bosses ;-)

Posted from my mobile so I blame any spelling errors on that.