Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

A CNN story today on laptop bombs.

I am not sure why putting it in luggage will help much. If you take the receiving circuitry from a cell phone, and you can phone it from a cell phone in a cabin, you could phone the laptop to explode. It shouldn't take a complete phone. Just the relevant circuitry.

Perhaps a EE could verify this.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/politics/terrorist-laptop-bombs-may-evade-security/index.html

Only if it can get a network signal, and that would be difficult at 35,000 ft.

Not sure that is available in the hold.

When I have used a phone in-flight I only log onto the aircraft Wireless Network and you have to pay somehow.

There is a phone network signal in the cabin (but not all aircraft and carriers) if I recall correctly and it gets charged as roaming.

I recall once talking to some pretentious girl in the A380 bar and asking her if she was paying roaming charges or had paid for the wireless network, and she told me no she hadn't. When I then asked her why she needed to look at her phone every 20 seconds at 35,000 feet over central India she turned her back on me!

The reality is a pressure switch and or timer would do the job though.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Trump wanted to ban muslims, not mobiles?

Mobile Muslims   They can only come in if strapped to a gurney.

It could be my only chance to join the mile high club.

Posted Images

Only if it can get a network signal, and that would be difficult at 35,000 ft.

Not sure that is available in the hold.

When I have used a phone in-flight I only log onto the aircraft Wireless Network and you have to pay somehow.

There is a phone network signal in the cabin (but not all aircraft and carriers) if I recall correctly and it gets charged as roaming.

I recall once talking to some pretentious girl in the A380 bar and asking her if she was paying roaming charges or had paid for the wireless network, and she told me no she hadn't. When I then asked her why she needed to look at her phone every 20 seconds at 35,000 feet over central India she turned her back on me!

The reality is a pressure switch and or timer would do the job though.

Such a comforting thought. Or, a Muslim pilot intent on taking the plane down.

Such a comforting thought. Or, a Muslim pilot intent on taking the plane down.

Well actually any pilot intent on taking the plane down, as we have seen in the non too distant past.

• Upvote 1

Well actually any pilot intent on taking the plane down, as we have seen in the non too distant past.

That's true. We had a German as well.

What a mindset. I think I will kill myself and take a few hundred others with me.

What a world.

I remember the days when flying was kind of fun. Now when you get to the airport, you really just don't know what new ban or restriction you may have to face. I was flying out of the Philippines, and they did not let me bring my umbrella with me in the cabin. I'm glad it was not an expensive one.

• Upvote 1

I remember the days when flying was kind of fun. Now when you get to the airport, you really just don't know what new ban or restriction you may have to face. I was flying out of the Philippines, and they did not let me bring my umbrella with me in the cabin. I'm glad it was not an expensive one.

Back then we would read a book or talk to the guy next to you ,, now we need all are comforts ,

not judging I'm as bad ,

Joe

Back then we would read a book or talk to the guy next to you ,, now we need all are comforts ,

not judging I'm as bad ,

Joe

Or even have a cigarette...My best flights were in the "smoking" days and I'm a non smoker...

The guys had recently seen 'The Avengers'!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Still the biggest risk has to be the pitifully poorly screened and low paid airport workers that have access to baggage and aircraft. Not every terrorist wants to go down with his or her own bomb.