Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/324846-feds-temporarily-ban-electronics-on-certain-flights-to-us

"U.S. government officials have temporarily banned most electronics on certain flights into and out of the country, according to Jordan’s national air carrier.

Royal Jordanian posted on Twitter Monday that “following instructions from the concerned U.S. departments, we kindly inform our dearest passengers departing to and arriving from the United States that carrying any electronic or electrical device on board the flight cabins is strictly prohibited.”

The ban does not apply to cell phones or medical devices, but does include laptops, tablets, electronic games and cameras. Those items can be stowed in checked baggage, however."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Trump wanted to ban muslims, not mobiles?

Mobile Muslims   They can only come in if strapped to a gurney.

It could be my only chance to join the mile high club.

Posted Images

Winn Schwartau wrote a book in the 90's / 00's called "Information Warfare" where he touched upon the electronic device ban. He said even then that there was no cause for alarm, but did actually go on to mention that instead of worrying about an accidental incident of a device interfering with the avionics, what if a terrorist or an enemy agency actually designed one to do precisely that.

He said that by inferring the systems were vulnerable to accidental problems, what we actually did was tell every baddie that there was a very large and exploitable vulnerability.

Edited by Butch

Winn Schwartau wrote a book in the 90's / 00's called "Information Warfare" where he touched upon the electronic device ban. He said even then that there was no cause for alarm, but did actually go on to mention that instead of worrying about an accidental incident of a device interfering with the avionics, what if a terrorist or an enemy agency actually designed one to do precisely that.

He said that by inferring the systems were vulnerable to accidental problems, what we actually did was tell every baddie that there was a very large and exploitable vulnerability.

I would ask the question, is it still safe to put these things in checked luggage?

Also, why not cellphones as well?

Cell phones have been used to trigger bombs.

Computers can be automated to run routines independent of operators.

So, I am unclear as to the exact threat. Certainly they must have some intelligence that led to the advisory.

I would ask the question, is it still safe to put these things in checked luggage?

Also, why not cellphones as well?

Cell phones have been used to trigger bombs.

Computers can be automated to run routines independent of operators.

So, I am unclear as to the exact threat. Certainly they must have some intelligence that led to the advisory.

Not the bloody way my suitcase looked when it arrived in Bangkok last trip.

I admit it was a bit heavy but it looked like it had been chucked out of a window.

There has also been quite a bit of discussion wrt pilfering at Bangkok.

Celphones can trigger bombs, but I would like to think security would notice the 2 sticks of dynamite taped to it.

Why have we only heard of this from Royal Jordanian, not exactly the biggest carrier in the world?

I admit it was a bit heavy but it looked like it had been chucked out of a window.

Celphones can trigger bombs, but I would like to think security would notice the 2 sticks of dynamite taped to it.

Why have we only heard of this from Royal Jordanian, not exactly the biggest carrier in the world?

One would hope.

If you read the article, "But the ban appears to apply to 13 countries for the next 96 hours, according to Fox News, and could be in response to a new intelligence threat" it also says details will be posted Tuesday.

As for detecting dynamite,A New York Post article says this (http://nypost.com/2015/06/11/10-things-the-tsa-isnt-telling-you/)

"Recently, when the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which oversees the TSA, sent undercover agents into some of the nations busiest airports armed with banned weapons and faux explosives, it found that TSA agents let those items through security 95 percent of the time, according to an exclusive report from ABC News. In fact, TSA agents failed to detect the items in 67 out of the 70 tests conducted."

Edited by ttk

A New York Post article (http://nypost.com/2015/06/11/10-things-the-tsa-isnt-telling-you/)

"Recently, when the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which oversees the TSA, sent undercover agents into some of the nation’s busiest airports armed with banned weapons and faux explosives, it found that TSA agents let those items through security 95 percent of the time, according to an exclusive report from ABC News. In fact, TSA agents failed to detect the items in 67 out of the 70 tests conducted."

I never knew the New York Post was also blocked here in Thailand!

Your quote says 'recently' but isn't it from way back in 2015?

Edited by jacko

I think it would be best to ban all mobile phones permanently.

My mobile phone bill for all of last year was £1.75, That expensive for me.

Saudi Arabian Airlines have mentioned the same ban as well.

More information:

Under the restrictions, travelers to the United States from 10 mostly Middle Eastern airports will be required to put all personal electronic devices larger than a cellphone or smartphone in their checked baggage. U.S. airlines are not affected by the ban because none offer direct U.S.-bound flights from the affected airports.

. . . .

Ten airports in eight countries, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Qatar, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, are affected. Officials said the airports were selected based on the “current threat picture.”

The airports are: Queen Alia International Airport (AMM), Cairo International Airport (CAI), Ataturk International Airport (IST), King Abdulaziz International Airport (JED), King Khalid International Airport (RUH), Kuwait International Airport (KWI), Mohammed V International Airport (CMN), Hamad International Airport (DOH), Dubai International Airport (DXB), and Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH).

I never knew the New York Post was also blocked here in Thailand!

Your quote says 'recently' but isn't it from way back in 2015?

June 11, 2015 so under 2 years. In my book that is still recently.

One word of warning on this the customs people at all US airport have the right to seize all electronics.

Unlock and take any or all info on the. Putting them in check bagage is asking for trouble here for now.

It would almost mean a certian stop and search. Not a pleasent experiance at all.

They have had this right for at least 6 years was put in by Obamma adminastration.

And this is for all countries and people entering US. As i understand this is that it bans them from being brought into

the country. which is why some airlines will not let you board. Either way unless you have impotant bussiness i would send by post to your destanation

and aviod the headache. I will be gald when all this settles down.

The UK has now going to impose the ban as well...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

Will this ban mean that the laptop will have to be in checked baggage, but if the battery is lithium ion then it will it need to be removed and the battery carried in hand luggage???

Excellent question due to fire issues.

With thievery, I am unlikely to bring much more than my phone and a point and shoot camera.

Interesting that the UK isn't implementing the ban as widely as the US. Qatar, Emirates and Etihad are missing off the UK list.....

If a terrorist was seriously planning an attack on an aircraft, all it will do is shift the target to another airline, unless they force all airlines to bring in a blanket ban...

Interesting that the UK isn't implementing the ban as widely as the US. Qatar, Emirates and Etihad are missing off the UK list.....

If a terrorist was seriously planning an attack on an aircraft, all it will do is shift the target to another airline, unless they force all airlines to bring in a blanket ban...

True. Unless they have intelligence that the threat is limited to employees of certain airlines.

Conspiracy theory time..... Have the US3 ( Delta, American and United) been lobbying Trump to make things difficult for the ME3 (Emirates, Etihad and Qatar)???

Conspiracy theory time..... Have the US3 ( Delta, American and United) been lobbying Trump to make things difficult for the ME3 (Emirates, Etihad and Qatar)???

There is an issue that involves the fact that Gulf nation airlines are getting subsidies from their governments.

http://www.openandfairskies.com/subsidies/

"Delta doesn’t stand alone. United and American Airlines also claim that Gulf carriers, specifically Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways, don’t have to worry about being profitable because oil-rich rulers with deep pockets own them. This allows the Gulf three to flood the market with excess capacity that drives down fares and puts competitors out of business. Delta’s reportedly cancelled its Atlanta-Dubai route for this reason. The airplane used on that route was redeployed on the transatlantic market where it could, according to Delta, “compete on a level playing field that’s not distorted by subsidized state-owned airlines.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2016/11/17/government-airline-subsidies-so-what/#56f59d121f5f

So, there are and have been issues regarding American carriers and Gulf carriers. What actions are being pondered I cannot say but it is not far fetched to assume that American carriers are lobbying the Trump administration which is obviously pro US business.

Just in on CBS News that it is laptop batteries that are replaced with bombs.

I could manage taking the battery out and checking that in, but would then be hunting power points in the lounges and on board.

Woman on BBC seems to think this will become more commonplace like the liquids ban, and will be extended to include mobile phones. I expect the thieving sods at LHR baggage handling are wetting themselves with glee!

I could manage taking the battery out and checking that in, but would then be hunting power points in the lounges and on board.

Woman on BBC seems to think this will become more commonplace like the liquids ban, and will be extended to include mobile phones. I expect the thieving sods at LHR baggage handling are wetting themselves with glee!

CBS News reported that phone batteries are too small to pose a threat. So why cameras?

Apparently a plane had a passenger by the window detonate his laptop. It put a hole in the fuselage and killed the bomber.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/laptops-banned-carry-ons-mideast-north-africa-flights-laptop-bombing-mogadishu/

The video was not working for me but scroll down for a photo of the hole in the fuselage.