Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The TM30 and Jomtiem.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:25 AM, jacko said:

Just a short report on a subject that causes confusion amongst many an Expat.

Me too!

Submitting a TM30, ie reporting to immigration where a foreigner is residing.

Firstly you might think you do it, done and dusted with, when you fill in the TM6 on arrival. No, not quite. If you go to a Hotel, Guest House and the likes they are required to do it, and great, they do it for you and online. What about condos, well the owner or house master should, but he may not want to, guess who the responsibility falls on, else you can be fined, yes Joe tourist.

The strict rule is it should be done within 24 hours (ridiculous, not everyone can put their life on hold and get to immigration at such short notice). If you go out and back into the country, or go stay in Bangkok for a few days, guess what, you are supposed to do it again!

Fortunately Jomtiem is a bit more realistic, and a long term Expat seems to be allowed to come and go without having to traipse in and out of Immigration after a shopping trip to Bangkok, or even a visit to dear old Ma in blighty, if he has his own place. Just the usual 90 day reporting and Extension renewals with re-Entry Permit, which are handled efficiently in Jomtiem.

But I had a friend come stay at my place... as the owner (housemaster) of my property I am required to submit a TM30 and had no idea what was needed. Some may say don't bother! I thought so too, but some other worrywart made me think otherwise. Perhaps he gets into a motorcycle accident or some other reasons that Immigration, or the police, were putting him under a spotlight. That spotlight would come my way when his address was asked of..

I armed myself with my passport, copies, a filled in TM30, copies of friend's passport and stamps and TM6 details, house book and anything else I could think of and went to immigration on a Friday afternoon. Stupid time you might think, but maybe not, remember you only have 24hrs to get it done, hands tied!

Nightmare, my ticket showed 50 people ahead of me, the counter/ room, area 10, was packed and people were queuing outside, I sat elsewhere watching the customer counter move one every 15-20 minutes as a solitary girl at a desk handled this bedlam. I sat there contemplating whether to just forget the idea.

I was pleased to see, as it got later, and maybe it being Friday afternoon helped here, by 3pm, there were now 3 ladies processing. It was moving along well, perhaps checks being less stringent. Numbers were thinning, but still substantial for TM30s.

My number called, be friendly and pleasant I thought. Things went smooth, TM30 form, copies of my passport and TM6 taken, my guest's similarly, my phone bill as proof of address. I was asked if I had copy of housebook, no but I had the original which was not looked at. A few questions about where I lived and how I 'owned' the property, done and dusted. I was then given a slip my friend is supposed to keep in his passport. I had been there 2 hours, but thankfully persevered.

If my old friend wants to visit next year, I shall tell the Mrs to pretend I have died!

Jacko, just a small addition. to the info you have helpfully detailed that may be useful for others.   I own my house, as a 'minority' company shareholder, so who is the House Master? if as in my case, the other shares are split between wife and Thai daughter. In our case, a House Master can be nominated to immigration as the Company Secretary, my wife in my case, who then is responsible for reporting and indeed for the yearly accounts and tax payments.  I use online for 90 day reports of course, so not an issue. When it comes to the yearly extension, a letter from her suffices to cover the issue of my main residence. .  

Edited by Pine Tree
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those using an agent, this new TM30 policy may not apply based on my experience today. Just back from having my photo taken at immigration and am happy to report I didn't get dinged for not f

FYI:  You need to submit your 90 day reports for the same address you specified on your last TM30, or they won’t accept it.

My understanding is that individual property owners can register on the website. Doubt this is going away anytime soon. I think it has been on the books for a long time. It was largely ignored bu

Posted Images

If i could piggyback.  I have a house in Khon Kaen, moving there next month. The Gf wants to put my name on "the Book" . Told her i didn't care as if she kicks me out ill just go quietly back to Patts.  Is there a reason, immigration advantage? that i should pursue this? 

2 hours ago, sailingbill said:

If i could piggyback.  I have a house in Khon Kaen, moving there next month. The Gf wants to put my name on "the Book" . Told her i didn't care as if she kicks me out ill just go quietly back to Patts.  Is there a reason, immigration advantage? that i should pursue this? 

If you are moving up to KK permanently it might be worth doing this and registering with Khon Kaen immigration and then conducting all your immigration business up there. If you are retaining an address in Pattaya then you may need to consider where you will spend most time. I have a couple of friends with houses up North who still conduct all their immigration business in Pattaya.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Bazle said:

Thanks. Very interesting. Just hope it's wrong! 

Yes, I was under the impression that so long as I did not change my residence, my last TM30 was acceptable... ie a night in a hotel, a trip out of country, or a renewal of Extension did not require another report. This brings in the need to get to immigration the next morning after a flight in.. ridiculous. I was having a discussion elsewhere about people doing their own online TM30 and taking screen copies of that... it was not acceptable in soi 5, as they wanted the stamped slips they produced to support say a C.O.R request.

Tiresome.....

I might also say better to ask an agent who will I hope have up to date knowledge, better than my hearsay!

Edited by jacko
21 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

This is what is bothering me now..If I go into town overnight am I now supposed to go across to Jomtien in the morning ???

I do not believe so, nor have I ever bothered. 

• Thanks 1

That should only be an issue if you use a hotel that inputs a conflicting TM30 for the overnight. TBH tell them that your passports in the Chinese embassy Bangkok for a visa they book you in and don't (cannot) submit the TM30 Owellian nonsense.

1 minute ago, Olded said:

I just got my years visa renewed a few weeks ago and they put in the passport a new TM30 and I didn't even ask for it.

Had you been out of country, or even stayed at hotel within Thailand since your last extension to stay (I'm assuming that's what you meant by visa renewed)?

23 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Had you been out of country, or even stayed at hotel within Thailand since your last extension to stay (I'm assuming that's what you meant by visa renewed)?

Bizarrely I was staying in a hotel on Chaiyapoon when I got my last renewal done by the agent.. How the fuck does that work ??? (That's rhetorical and doesn't need an answer other than TIT)

38 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Bizarrely I was staying in a hotel on Chaiyapoon when I got my last renewal done by the agent.. How the fuck does that work ??? (That's rhetorical and doesn't need an answer other than TIT)

I think the key is you used an agent. Probably got a pass for that reason on the new TM30 policy fine.

I wonder why the agent I talked to this morning didn't just tell me it wouldn't be an issue. Then again when I pick up my passport on Friday or Monday I may find out there's an additional amount owed before I can get my passport back.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Olded said:

I just got my years visa renewed a few weeks ago and they put in the passport a new TM30 and I didn't even ask for it.

That is surprising (coming from a guy who did 15+ years here without ever having done a TM30)....I got a new 90 day address report done without asking once, along with a new extension, ... sure it wasn't that? 

Edited by jacko
11 hours ago, jacko said:

That is surprising (coming from a guy who did 15+ years here without ever having done a TM30)....I got a new 90 day address report done without asking once, along with a new extension, ... sure it wasn't that? 

I had a TM30 in my passport years ago, a few years ago I went to Pattaya for few days and when I came home I stop at the immigration office to check in and he said if you come back to the same address you don't have to check in any more. Never used the TM30 again, so when I got my new passport I never put it in

Edited by Olded
  • Upvote 1
On 10/18/2023 at 4:38 PM, forcebwithu said:

I'm on a retirement Visa and haven't been out of the country, and as far as I know if you stay at a hotel in Thailand and return to the same address you don't need a TM30 ( unless they changed it again )

18 minutes ago, Olded said:

I'm on a retirement Visa and haven't been out of the country, and as far as I know if you stay at a hotel in Thailand and return to the same address you don't need a TM30 ( unless they changed it again )

That's the crux of this new TM30 rule. From what I've read, and what the Manareet agent told me, if you re-enter Thailand, or stay someplace else in Thailand where they file a TM30 for your stay, you need to report to immigration within 24 hours of your return to your home address. Crazy huh!

Your earlier post stated you did the extension to stay a few weeks ago, so it might have been before they started this new rule.

While I was writing this post Manareet called to let me know my passport was ready to be picked up. I asked the lady again about the new policy and she said it's what I described in the first paragraph. I pointed out that my TM30 in the passport is from 2017 and I returned to Thailand as recently as last May, but immigration didn't fine me. I don't think she understood what I was saying as she repeated the new TM30 rule.

The variable here is I used an agent for the extension to stay. We need another data point from someone that's doing their extension to stay on their own and after this new rule was announced to know if the new rule is being enforced, and if those of us using an agent get a pass.

• Upvote 1

I live in the UK but have a condo in Pattaya, and this latest development is unsettling. 

If I do a side-trip to, say, Vietnam, or spend a weekend in Bangkok, or spend a night in a hotel in Pattaya for convenience, I now have to go to Immigration and file a report when I get back. 

I can only hope that Immigration is overwhelmed with paperwork that they drop this silly idea PDQ. 

I think there is an Immigration website on which hotels can register to provide notification of their guests.  Does anyone know if an individual can register on this, and provide notification of themselves? 

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I live in the UK but have a condo in Pattaya, and this latest development is unsettling. 

If I do a side-trip to, say, Vietnam, or spend a weekend in Bangkok, or spend a night in a hotel in Pattaya for convenience, I now have to go to Immigration and file a report when I get back. 

I can only hope that Immigration is overwhelmed with paperwork that they drop this silly idea PDQ. 

I think there is an Immigration website on which hotels can register to provide notification of their guests.  Does anyone know if an individual can register on this, and provide notification of themselves? 

My understanding is that individual property owners can register on the website.

Doubt this is going away anytime soon. I think it has been on the books for a long time. It was largely ignored but then re-enforced after the Erawan bomb in 2015. I think there was some relaxation over the years and don't know why they have decided to crackdown on the rule now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Olded said:

I had a TM30 in my passport years ago, a few years ago I went to Pattaya for few days and when I came home I stop at the immigration office to check in and he said if you come back to the same address you don't have to check in any more. Never used the TM30 again, so when I got my new passport I never put it in

Yes that was the case, it was announced some years ago.... but I just saw a very recent video clip suggesting one had to do it each time on entering the country.......

9 hours ago, tallguy said:

My understanding is that individual property owners can register on the website.

I did that some months back.... and was told a screen copy of that reporting was not accepted to get me a cert. of res. It had to be the soi 5 issued and stamped one. Also I more recently got a message saying the registration website had moved to a new URL, and it was required I registered again.... that irritated me to think of having to do it all again. I also got some dodgy spam type emails suggesting immigration had a data leak on that registration..... I did not send the requested bitcoins!!!

An agent I used got me a discount on the usual 2000 TM30 fine, and I am inclined to say that is what I will do next time again!

9 hours ago, Bazle said:

think there is an Immigration website on which hotels can register to provide notification of their guests.  Does anyone know if an individual can register on this, and provide notification of themselves? 

Yes it is possible... but I have concerns over the security of the details you provide. 

https://tm30.immigration.go.th/tm30/#/login

Edited by jacko