Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
jacko

Boeing 737-Max. Another one down.

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Was it NASA who failed to change units correctly on Climate Orbiter ? Oops, that was in metric?

Air Canada did the same in the infamous Gimli Glider incident. 

At the time of the incident, Canada's aviation sector was in the process of converting to the metric system. As part of this process, the new 767s being acquired by Air Canada were the first to be calibrated for metric units (litres and kilograms) instead of Imperial units (gallons and pounds). 

On 3/12/2019 at 4:00 PM, js007 said:

Apparently, Australia has now grounded the planes.  Of course, the USA says they are "safe." I wouldn't count on that.  

Perhaps the way American pilots fly them they are safe. The plane has had over 41,000 flights in the USA, no problems. Might be SE Asia or Africa has different pilot training, maintenance, whatever...

1 hour ago, JONPAT said:

Perhaps the way American pilots fly them they are safe. The plane has had over 41,000 flights in the USA, no problems. Might be SE Asia or Africa has different pilot training, maintenance, whatever...

I've seen reports of complaints from pilots in the US suggesting that the problem had occurred and the pilots were not at all happy that they had no advance warning.  I'm sure it's recoverable if the pilot does the right thing.  That's not the same as saying the plane is safe.

2 hours ago, JONPAT said:

Boeing failed to inform the airlines about the MCAS system before the Lion Air crash....... you can't train pilots on as system if the airline isn't told about it......

12 hours ago, JONPAT said:

Someone doesn't seem to agree otherwise they would not be grounded in the USA too. 

I saw President Trump ordering them grounded yesterday.

Boeing then said they were about to ground them anyway.

12 hours ago, Gottsy said:

Just watch this. Even the FAA is complicit.

That’s a very good video about Boeing’s quality control problem.  Unfortunately, Boeing continues to have problems with quality control.  Last month, the USAF stopped taking delivery of new Boeing KC-46 tankers after finding “trash, tools, nuts and bolts . . . scattered inside the aircraft.”     You would think that someone from Boeing would have walked through the KC-46 before delivery with a checklist to make sure the inside was vacuumed, windshields clean, tires filled with air, etc. (like at your local car dealership).  This shows the "I don't give a damn" attitude of Boeing.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/03/14/air-force-keep-close-eye-boeing-kc-46-deliveries-resume.html

1 hour ago, Yujin said:

like at your local car dealership

Well, maybe not for all of us living in Thailand. 

Got mine back a bit 'sloppy' a few times.

Boeing executives and technical experts briefed pilots at U.S. airlines that fly the Max in November about the plane, less than a month after the Lion Air crash. They mentioned changes in the flight-control software, indicating that Boeing was already at work on a solution.

Boeing aimed to finish the work in April. Boeing has declined to say whether the Ethiopian Airlines crash gave new urgency to finish the work, but experts have said that is a safe bet.

Engineers had to find out what the system was doing on the Lion Air flight, how the system's commands appeared to pilots, what changes needed to be made to software, manuals and training, and the best way to make those changes.

Then they had to write new software code, test it — first in the lab, then on a 737 Max simulator, finally in a flying plane. And they had to be sure that the modifications didn't affect other flying characteristics of the plane.

lawyers say the second crash strengthens their argument that Boeing knew the plane was defective and let it fly anyway.

From Yahoo News

I don't know how you guys feel, but letting the aircraft fly, while they knew there was a problem to fix stinks. It has cost the lives of a further 157 people.  It worries me as to the ethics and competency of Boeing. This is going to hurt them bad. 

Are the repercussions muted because it happened in Ethiopia rather than the USA?

Edited by jacko

The thing that bothers me the most is the eyewitnesses reports that the plane had parts falling off and that there was smoke. There were a number of witnesses. Are they all wrong? I was sure that the flight recorders would clear that up but there is no mention of it yet. If there was a structural failure while in flight Boeing will deserve to have their tit in the wringer big time.

Would have it gotten 24/7 coverage if it had augured in in the US?  Yes, but it is getting a good deal of attention in the US media.  The FAA dithering and lobbying at the top level by Boeing cetainly drew critical comment..