Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Getting out of a speeding ticket because you are a foreigner

Has anyone ever experienced getting out of a traffic ticket or other predicament because you are a foreigner?

Right before last New Year’s I rented a car and traveling in North East Thailand, in Yasothon. I try to obey the speed limits especially being in a foreign country but kind of got stuck in the middle of 8-9 cars driving around 120kph, I believe the speed limit was 90kph. All of a sudden there was a speed trap and the first three cars got pulled over and when I stopped in front of the police officer, he looked at his piece of paper then my license plate and he started to gesture to pull over but then he looked at me and noticed I was a foreigner and he immediately just waived me through. I looked back in my rearview and noticed the cars behind me all got pulled over. I said to my Thai girlfriend what just happened why didn’t he pull me over and she said you’re lucky you just got a “Farang pass”. She said probably nobody there spoke English and they didn’t wanna have to deal with you so they let you go.

wondering if anyone else had a similar experience

In 15 years of driving on Thai roads I've been pulled in by the cops a grand total of one time. Every time we go through the police check points I always get waved through as soon as they see falang driving the car.

I got nabbed coming down the Highway of Death as it comes down the Korat plateau into Bangkok. 

The polite BiB informed me that radar clocked me at 120 kph in a 90 kph zone ... liar ... I know I was going at least 150 in that section.

The sunnier side is that once you get a written ticket ... just show that at the next roadblock if they stop you, it's a get pout of jail pass for the day so to speak ... they only ticket you once per day 555.

7 hours ago, TheFiend said:

In 15 years of driving on Thai roads I've been pulled in by the cops a grand total of one time. Every time we go through the police check points I always get waved through as soon as they see falang driving the car.

I would say that is not the case in the Pattaya area, although more recently I get waved through just out of town.....

35 minutes ago, jacko said:

I would say that is not the case in the Pattaya area, although more recently I get waved through just out of town.....

Day time checkpoints I get waived through everytime. Of course being on a bicycle would have nothing to do with that. :D

• Haha 1

My driving certificates usually come in the post with a QR Code which I just scan and move on calculating my savings against what it’d be cost in England 😊

Who said ferangs always must pay more not all bad in Thailand ☺️

I was away in the uk for a few weeks meanwhile the sneaky buggers installed a camera on the Bowin bypass needless to say I flashed past at 130 and when I checked the limit was 90 🙁