Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Pattaya is cheaper then Bangkok in most cases.

Really depends on what you want to do during your visit besides booze and bg's.

Bangkok has much more to do during the day (if you are awake).

Go to both.........then decide what suits you best.

With over 6000 members here do you think you'll get different opinions? :-)

They are different and you should at least TRY them both so you can form your own opinion on what you prefer. For me, I like BKK for about a week and then it's off to Pattaya for a long time.

As a potential first timer to Thailand in March I was going to ask the same question, so I will expand it.

I will be a single male traveller, 39, (happen to be gay if that makes any odds) and am just looking to have some rest and relaxation, beach and sun, some sights etc, maybe a little fun on the way but thats certainly not the main point of my holiday! Is it feasable/realistic to stay in Pattaya and travel up to Bangkok and see some of the sights, via either organised tours or independently, as Im not sure about staying alone in Bangkok..any ideas?

personally id prefer pattaya (cheaper , beach etc not so much traffic!) it takes about! 2 hours (maybe up to 3 depending on traffic) from pattaya to bangkok. there are more tours (eg kanchaburi thats the bridge on the river kwai place!, temples, river trips ayuthaya markets etc etc) to be taken from bangkok, whereas in pattaya as already stated there isnt as much to do (but dont worry there is still plenty to do there!) i guess i prefer pattaya as its not too hectic or hot as bangkok! depending on your time its up to you where to spend your days! but in my experience a lot of people who go tp thailand dont like bangkok the first time they go there! so its up to you! as for being gay, it wont make any difference where you go id have thought! just get over there and enjoy yourself! onr thing i guarantee is , when you do go, you will definetly go back again!

As a potential first timer to Thailand in March I was going to ask the same question, so I will expand it.

I will be a single male traveller, 39, (happen to be gay if that makes any odds) and am just looking to have some rest and relaxation, beach and sun, some sights etc, maybe a little fun on the way but thats certainly not the main point of my holiday! Is it feasable/realistic to stay in Pattaya and travel up to Bangkok and see some of the sights, via either organised tours or independently, as Im not sure about staying alone in Bangkok..any ideas?

If you are looking for more of a traditional holiday consider Phuket. There is no shortage of nightlife but it gets going later than Pattaya. The water is cleaner, beach is amazing, etc. Some girls took rayray and I to a cabarat show in the gay area on a night out. Seemed like a pretty crazy block, also looked cleaner than Pattaya.

Sailfast

If you are looking for more of a traditional holiday consider Phuket. There is no shortage of nightlife but it gets going later than Pattaya. The water is cleaner, beach is amazing, etc. Some girls took rayray and I to a cabarat show in the gay area on a night out. Seemed like a pretty crazy block, also looked cleaner than Pattaya.

Sailfast

Hmmmm!

Definately going to give it a look next year as ive heard lots about the place......

hello all, not sure if this post should go here or not! I was just wondering which is better? Pattaya or Bangkok? Any ideas or thoughts on this!!!

Deadman,

As I just came back for 1st time in LOS, went to both BKK and Pattaya.

1)if U into the massage parlor scene, BKK your best choice. No shortage of great MPs in BKK. Pattaya MPs cant compare to BKK in this dept. Pattaya have about 1-2 places while Bkk have about 30.

2)if U into sightseeing, by all means, spend 2-3 days 1st in BKK as the sights are great, traffic is terrible so a great mixture of urban living. If U not from a big city like me( so Im use to all this), BKK is a great wonderful experience. Its more hectic but its part of the fun.

3)BKK lacks a beach and the bar scene thats famous in Pattaya, so may be little more expensive and difficult to pick up a gal to your taste

4) But it is more relaxing here in Pattaya(but no sightseeing or much to do other than the bar scene and lie on the beach during the day.

So in conclusion, its up to U what U actually like. Sightseeing or just for the gals.

PT

Pattaya wins easily for me, but a first timer really should take in Bangkok. Fitting the two is not a problem. I was in Phuket for the first time last August. It was well worth the visit, but for what I really want out of my time in LOS Pattaya is much better. There's far more of it and it's much cheaper there.

Cliver -

While you did not say how long you will in LOS, I would advise to spend a few days in Bangkok when you arrive, or when you leave. That way you only have one round trip to Pattaya.

IMHO, Pattaya beats Bangkok for mongering (I'm Straight, but I would assume also for Gay) as prices are a lot cheaper and transportation is much easier.

You can pretty much walk anywhere in Pattaya, and Baut busses are about $0.25 U.S., and they are everywhere on the major roads.

I also understand that Jomtiem Beach has a gay beach near Rabbet Resort, as well as the infamous Boys Town in Pattaya 2.

Hope that this helps.

As a gay man you will probably enjoy Jomtien, over the hill from Pattaya, 10 minutes away by bahtbus.

The beach is much better - larger, cleaner, nice promenade, nice cafes & restos looking at the sea.

Many gay friendly hotels/guesthouses/clubs and a less in-your-face ambience than Pattaya.

Prices are samesame for food/drink/accomodation.

Gay area is DongTan beach, to the right as you come down toward the sea from Pattaya.

Always spend a few days in Bangkok when i arrive,shopping much better and cheaper than Pattaya,and more to do during the day,also Beergarden Ithink on soi 5 a good afternoon haunt if your looking for love!!!! girls not that expensive for ST.Cowboy and nana ok but pricey, so in my opinion Pattaya is better value for money if staying a long time.

i agree with your answer 4, phantomtiger. i have been to both pattaya & bangkok three times this year already so i'm probably a seasoned traveller. i have found pattaya to be more relaxing & less hectic than bangkok. i can't wait to relax again in january when i return for a final visit b4 i tie the knot!!!

i can't wait to relax again in january when i return for a final visit b4 i tie the knot!!!

I would want to tie a knot around my neck if this was my FINAL visit to LOS!!!!!!

Edited by farman

:banana

Dec 29th will also be my 4th visit this year and i must admit the shine has SLIGHTLY worn off.

I think i may have had my cake and eaten it this year............................... :D

Sniff :cry1 No more cake left(or is there?)

:beer

Take care

:chogdee2

Edited by farman

A few years ago I might have hesitated before answering, but not now. Bangkok is a pale shadow of its former self and as things stand is finished as far as I'm concerned. I've no plans to ever stay there again.

Pattaya all the way now. :chogdee2