Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

OVER RATED RESTARAUNTS

In response to some comments, I think we should keep in mind the fact that the vast number of contributors here do not have transport.

Going to Naklua, 3rd Road, right the way along Jomtien beach or even further afield is a serious decision. Walking or getting the baht bus along the road is what most guys probably do.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I do not agree with your 3-5 days for the symptoms. When I eat "sum tum bplah",very spicey, and follow it with some beers, I can expect a serious and urgent explosion of "brown slime" within 3 - 4 hours. FACT!

Food posioning does not take 3-5 days to cause symptoms. FACT!

Slime me, dine me, and blow me green weiny too!

Your Friend,

GreenSlime

most food poisoning will manifest within a few hours, the common symptom being vomiting and occasionally diarrhea.

but some forms take days (many harmful strains of e-coli bacteria enter the human body via food ingestion and don't show for days).

most food poisoning will manifest within a few hours, the common symptom being vomiting and occasionally diarrhea.

I agree. Food poisoing always manfests within 24hrs.

Symptoms will often also include intense stomach pain and cramps. If you have been taking anti diarrhea pills your problems are increased. You must take some sort of laxitive to stop the bacteria multplying in your body, if you have not already got diarrhea. Also drink loads of water.

I never want to go through the experience again. All you can do is use common sense but there are still no guarantees!!!

Regards

Robins in soi diana is very over rated and also over priced.the most underated place is lengkee on Pattaya klang never had a bad meal there and its better than most places 4 times the price.best duck in town and plenty of the other dishes are fantastic also.

the foot :D

• 1 month later...

I went to Mantra with 3 ladies and it costed 5,600 baht. The food is 70 % chinese even if they have pizza for 460 baht and sirloin steak for 900. The building is very nice and the bar fantastic but it was my first and last visit.

Most over rated by far is Bruno's. Small portions, vastly overpriced, poor service (on a less than 1/3rd full Monday night), dirty eating utensils. Fork still had bits of the last diner's food on it. How this guy continues to get good reviews is one of Pattaya's great mysteries.

• 1 month later...
try brahaus on second road has very good food and not over priced also brews his own beer very nice

Well over priced that place is. Bought Thai food in there for my lady and it was two times the price to most other places I have been.My verdict : Robbers.

Edited by Cennn3
Many say Kiss on 2nd road is good for cheap eats, maybe cheap but service and attitude of the waiting staff is pretty bad.

Food IMO is nothing to right home about, cheap maybe but I don’t visit too often anymore.

Yes, talk about LOS (Lack Of Smiles), the Kiss staff can be some of the surliest in Pattaya. (I'm talking about the one on 2nd Road opposite Mike Shopping Mall).

But it's open 24 hours (I think :ang2 ) and during the day and evening it is usually always fairly full.

The size of the Thai food portions are okay. Food's not bad. Pretty cheap.

I'll keep going but I won't leave a tip.

Yes, talk about LOS (Lack Of Smiles), the Kiss staff can be some of the surliest in Pattaya. (I'm talking about the one on 2nd Road opposite Mike Shopping Mall).

But it's open 24 hours (I think :D ) and during the day and evening it is usually always fairly full.

The size of the Thai food portions are okay. Food's not bad. Pretty cheap.

I'll keep going but I won't leave a tip.

Hi,

I've eaten there a few times but cannot understand it's popularity. :clap1

Hi,

I've eaten there a few times but cannot understand it's popularity. :D

Agree...tourist fodder

Staff are a bunch of twats

Vowed never to eat there again 8 years ago

If this is the best Thai food you can find you must be somebody who'd starve to death if they got locked inside Tescos for the holidays :clap1

Vowed never to eat there again 8 years ago

If this is the best Thai food you can find you must be somebody who'd starve to death if they got locked inside Tescos for the holidays :clap1

You haven't eaten there for 8 years but you know what it's like today? :clap1

No one on this thread has come near calling it "the best" :D

Bruno's

Mata Hari

Cherries

Indian by Nature

Art Cafe

Manhattens

All ok but at times i'd have to say that Manhattens and Bruno's are equal to 5 star hotels and some London restaurants i've eaten in. :D

Dave are you sure you have not replied to the wrong thread :clap1 , I would have rated these as tmy personal top restaurants.

My worst restaurant experience in Pattaya, has to have been mantra, over priced, shite service and average food.

I'm a sucker. I've eaten at Nang Nual for many years, downstairs and up top the hill both, Thai food, steaks, seafood and lots of combinations - two at a time and 36 people at one party.

I've always been satisfied. Last Saturday on a whim, the old la.... my lovely wife and I hopped in and drove to Pattaya from Bangkok over the alleged "roads" and went up the hill where they have parking on Saturday night and ate one of the worst Pattaya meals in history. Paid the same as if it were a good meal, too.

It doesn't take me four times to figure out bad cooking (and service, but they usually go hand in hand). There are just too many good places to eat. Nang Nual we hardly knew ye!

The Highlander on soi skaw beach off second road does an excellent mince & tatties with mealie pudding & fresh veg for anyone wanting a reminder of good scottish food, even although the owner is from london !! (via aberdeen)

Kiss on second road is absolute crap-been there twice recently, will not be back! :clueless

• 1 month later...

Here's one that LOOKS nice on the outside but the food is POOR, the service WORSE, and NOT cheap--

Max's Italian Restaurant, Soi Post Office close to Second Rd

But, besides all that, I reccomend it :lol:

At the very end of Beach Road in Jomtiem is a Thai seafood joint. Very tasty food and good prices.

I will second that.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of these places are highly overrated. They are for the tourists----that is for people who don't know any better or what many expats call the two week millionaires who throw their money around like there's no tomorrow. And why not? In two weeks, why should they care if they spend too much for food and for girls.

In general I feel that the Naklua area has much more reasonably priced food than Central Pattaya. And part of the reason is this area is like Little Germany and I feel that in general Germans are much more frugal than most Americans and English. They expect reasonably priced beer and food and are not ashamed to admit it--even if they have a fair amount of money.

Let me give you some examples....."Plamona" a German restaurant just up Soi 16 from me here at Wongamat Beach. Many hearty dishes go for 120 baht. Wienerschnitzel goes for 140 baht and this includes a large salad and two huge chunks of veal (in fact they put so much meat on my plate on night that I broke out laughing). There's Anton's at Soi 18 and Naklua Road where you get an all you can eat German food buffet for 175 baht low season and 195 baht during High season which puts Queen Victoria's buffet to shame which will set you back for 320 baht. In fact, the entire area is swarming with good German restaurants which will also typically serve up low priced Thai meals. And if you get an American or English breakfast and you spend more than 100 baht you have spent too much.

The place is run by a bunch of Thais and it's right on the beach just one hundred meters South of the Long Beach Hotel but you can drink your beer there for 55 baht a bottle and get a decent club sandwich for just 80 baht----and the ambience is outstanding with the Gulf of Thailand just a few meters in front of you as you gaze out from underneath a large thatched roofed area. And there's a lot more to eat here than just club sandwiches.

Just up the street from my condo is an excellent restaurant a lot of Thais go to, and a few of we Westerners who appreciate good food at outstanding prices. We call this place, "No Name Restaurant" because it really doesn't have a name. Here I can get an American breakfast for 60 baht, a Thai omelet for sixty, and most Thai dishes in this price range with some even lower. Today my girlfriend and I had total bill of just 70 baht and usually we don't go over 105 baht or so.

As I've said, many of the places mentioned here are just for tourists. I feel like a real fool paying tourist prices because I know I can do one helluva lot better.

As I've said, many of the places mentioned here are just for tourists. I feel like a real fool paying tourist prices because I know I can do one helluva lot better.

Heh. These German restaurants you eat at - they were built to feed the fishermen when they returned to the little Pattaya fishing village?

I'm pretty sure they are tourist restaurants. However good, however budget-friendly, no tourists, no restaurants.