Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Train ,3rd class fare to Nong Khai 35bhts for 3 of us,wih Pics

Why I like the Train 3rd class travel better than the none VIP bus

Its not the price ,even though the cost to Nong Khai was 35 bhts for Me and Free for Thais

The journey time from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai is about the same as the bus about 2 1/2 hours.

The trains can be late at times by 1/2 or more.

The none VIP buses can also be late waiting for the bus to fill up ,even pack people in standing up with no seats.

What I like on the train is more room to get stretched out.

Sit with near the open windows with the wind keeping you cool,on many buses over crowded and poor air con at times.

Journey far better looking at the country side , hidden away villages where most of the Pattaya ladies come from and of

course the bathing buffolows having mud baths :unsure:

Also on the train you have a smoking area ,you just have to stand outside between the carriages :beer

Nong_Kai_May_2009_007.jpg

Nong_Kai_May_2009_005.jpg

Nong_Kai_May_2009_016.jpg

Nong_Kai_May_2009_019.jpg

Nong_Kai_May_2009_020.jpg

Nong_Kai_May_2009_021.jpg

Nong_Kai_May_2009_022.jpg

Nong_Kai_May_2009_025.jpg

Edited by Dr Mick

I have done quite a few long haul train trips in Thailand. As you say the freedom to move around is great, although they can seem very slow at times. Perhaps okay for the 2-3 hour trips.... I did Bangkok to Nong Kai and it seemed to take forever. Then there was the off dute policeman who had drunk himself incoherent waving his gun about and scaring everybody on one trip.

Thanks again Dr for the info.

I tend to agree re trains,moving around part good for me.I have to fold my legs in 3 on some of those buses.being Tall in Thailand can be a pain.But gee-wiz the view is heavanly :allright Trains are definatley a more relaxed wy to go :rolleyes:

Look after yourself mate

Bruiser

Did the overnight train from Hua Lamphong Statsion to Nong Khai

in a first class adjoining cabin with a few friends 4 weeks ago.

It was pretty cool, especially the adjoining cabins. We could open

the door between & chat in the evening and morning. Train was late

both ways but we made the 20 baht rail shuttle to Thanaleng in Laos

for passport control. Food service for dinner and b'fast if you're so

inclined. You can also have a beer or two. Not too hard to sleep, either.

One downside aspect; bathrooms were nasty.

1147 baht each way.

Edited by The Mook

Done the overnite Bkk-CM, BKK-Nong Kai, BKK-Samui(combo train, bus, ferry) BKK-Hat Yai.

Love traveling by train when in Thailand. Always go 2nd class aircon sleeper.

I never eat the food made on the train cause the food sucks. Always buy from the vendors

that hop on board at train stops. Nothing better then ice cold beer and fried chicken

from the vendors.....

• 1 year later...
Why I like the Train 3rd class travel better than the none VIP bus

Its not the price ,even though the cost to Nong Khai was 35 bhts for Me and Free for Thais

The journey time from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai is about the same as the bus about 2 1/2 hours.

The trains can be late at times by 1/2 or more.

The none VIP buses can also be late waiting for the bus to fill up ,even pack people in standing up with no seats.

What I like on the train is more room to get stretched out.

Sit with near the open windows with the wind keeping you cool,on many buses over crowded and poor air con at times.

Journey far better looking at the country side , hidden away villages where most of the Pattaya ladies come from and of

course the bathing buffolows having mud baths :D

Also on the train you have a smoking area ,you just have to stand outside between the carriages :D

looked like a nice cheap litlle adventure ")

Hi,

When I first came to LOS I used to get the train from the airport(Don Muang) into Bangkok( Hua Lamphong). I dont know why I started taking the bus in later times. I used to stay in the neighbourhood around the station. Fun times.

Hi,

When I first came to LOS I used to get the train from the airport(Don Muang) into Bangkok( Hua Lamphong). I dont know why I started taking the bus in later times. I used to stay in the neighbourhood around the station. Fun times.

yeah me as well, i thought it was 15baht, definetly more culture than a taxi ride

Nice!

Makes sense for short trips and you aren't in a rush. But we shouldn't be in a rush in Thailand, should we?

I haven't met many Thais or had much of a Thai experience in an aircon taxi but horses for courses.

I always take a 2nd class air con sleeper for overnights. Cheap and fun. Bogs are nasty but I'm not in there very long!

packhike is bang on, avoid the food and buy from the vendors. Cold beer and fried chicken. Aroi!

Wait until arrival for brekkie as the train falang brekkie is yuck.