Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Anyone tried the Ipad yet? I can't understand how it could be better than a laptop. A laptop has a keyboard and the screen stand up alone. Sometimes I reckon they keep changing things, but not for the best.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw one in the flesh here in Pattaya the other day(a bar owner showed it me),i was surprised when he told me he bought it here in Funtown and more so for the princely sum of 36K!!!He showed me Photos he had loaded onto it and the definition was superb(should be for that price!),but as i say 36K!!! i nearly fell off my stool :banghead

I saw one in the flesh here in Pattaya the other day(a bar owner showed it me),i was surprised when he told me he bought it here in Funtown and more so for the princely sum of 36K!!!He showed me Photos he had loaded onto it and the definition was superb(should be for that price!),but as i say 36K!!! i nearly fell off my stool :D

What's it like for typing?

Stands up alone?

Pattaya bar owner :banghead ..........must still be spending the money from selling his house!!! :D ....If not a main drag bar.

What's it like for typing?

Stands up alone?

Pattaya bar owner :banghead ..........must still be spending the money from selling his house!!! :D ....If not a main drag bar.

No it's just a flat pad and it's just touch(so the keyboard comes up via touch on the screen)You can make the size of everything bigger/smaller by touch.Everything as you can guess is done by touch.The bar owner(part bar owner) is from a small Soi Post Office beer bar.I've known the other partner in the bar for years and the guy with the ipad just happened to turn up with this ipad one early evening and i asked him about it,so he showed me.I don't think he solely purchased this piece of equipment from beer sales on Soi Yamato for one minute,he has a business in Bangkok as well as a condo there and a condo here in Funtown too,he also drives a BMW.

Edited by THE_DRUID

I believe the Chinese already have a knock off copy called the iped already out for about $150.

It is supposed to be not too bad - runs on the Android system or something with an intel chip.

My Thought on the I- Pad is it's like a over sized I-Touch please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want and Apple you might be better off getting he Laptop.

It is supposed to be not too bad - runs on the Android system or something with an intel chip.

Fair enough. But 2 million iPads sold, now selling ("legally" as Steve Jobs would say) outside the US - knocked off by China and others - and I still can't figure out why I'd actually want one. I had thought that the idea with mobile stuff was to boil them all down into ONE device, which is why I understand the iPhone, say (or the superior Android). But the iPad is an extra carry-around that doesn't seem to do... well, anything useful. It's not a terrific book reader, it doesn't take phone calls, I can already put everything I want for a month on a 16-gig thumb drive that weighs nothing and takes up zero room in my pocket....

Obviously, I'm missing something. Anyone?

Gee. Where do I start!!!! :eyecrazy

----

Your not meant to think logically about gadget purchases. You are meant to just run out and buy one, as did people with high def TVs, despite their being no high def stuff to watch. Blue tooth kettles.

It's probably a must have for using in Pret a Manger, while doing lunch.

I guess I'm with Joe on this one as I think the iPad is a rather poorly-thought-out device.

It's not a netbook and it's not an e-book reader either. It tries to do both but, much like the wrong tool for the job, is at best a limited compromise.

I was hoping Apple would announce a kick-ass e-book reader using e-ink in a novel, advanced way but it seems prospective e-book customers will have to wait awhile yet. The fact it can't multitask, has no USB ports, and can't support Flash makes it of extremely limited usefulness.

I really can't think what it's good at, that couldn't be done better by a good little netbook or a dedicated e-book reader. But I guess that's the power of the Apple brand and the crazed Apple fanboys who will buy anything with that famous logo on it.

Edited by Damon
Your not meant to think logically about gadget purchases.

Hmmmm, two million lemmings ARE wrong. That could be it. It's just niggling at me that I'm missing something, though. And I am a bit of a gadget purchaser, too, although never serious money.

I wonder how well the Wi-Fi works? I have an I-Pod Touch that won't pick up Wi-Fi for shit. And yet my MacBook Pro works just fine fairly far from the Wi-Fi router.

As for the IPad itself? I don't see the point, really.

Apple lovers are like Toyota lovers. If Toyota put wheels on a turd, Toyota lovers would tell you what a great turd it is.

As long as Apple has so much proprietary shit on the products, I wouldn't touch them. Why anyone would buy a phone that that needs hacked before you can use it is way beyond me.

I spent about four hours trying to take music from an ipod and put it on a friend's computer. After spending a lot of time downloading itunes, and getting the message that itunes didn't recognize the music format, I gave up.

I spent about four hours trying to take music from an ipod and put it on a friend's computer.

That is exactly what Apple does not want you to do. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it is rather funny that you spent all that time attempting something the device is not made for...lol

It can be done, but it's a hack.

That is exactly what Apple does not want you to do. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it is rather funny that you spent all that time attempting something the device is not made for...lol

It can be done, but it's a hack.

I'll be first to admit that I know nothing about Apple. My friend told me the ipod had been hacked and had 4,000 MP3 songs on it. Since the songs were MP3 format, I thought I had a chance to be able to copy them.

Anyone tried the Ipad yet? I can't understand how it could be better than a laptop. A laptop has a keyboard and the screen stand up alone. Sometimes I reckon they keep changing things, but not for the best.

It's not gimmicky at all. You're just thinking about it from the wrong perspective. The iPad is all about content consumption. From that standpoint, it's pretty excellent. A laptop is for consumption and creation; of course it will have advantages for content creation.

Our daughter bought one and uses it everyday. She uses the e-reader easy Wi- Fi hook up works well all over the house and in the garden. She tells me she likes it better then her Mac. We'll see how much she uses it next September when she heads back to school.

How much of this is all hype, create enough of a buzz around something and it's suddenly the latest 'must have' regardless if it's any good or not, if you're seen with one you're 'cool' the latest fashion accessory. :D

It's not gimmicky at all. You're just thinking about it from the wrong perspective. The iPad is all about content consumption. From that standpoint, it's pretty excellent. A laptop is for consumption and creation; of course it will have advantages for content creation.

Ok. I see what you mean. Quite an expensive gadget then, if you already have a laptop. Is all the your stuff put on it via USB?

I wonder if the 2 million people needed one? :grin-jump

She tells me she likes it better then her Mac.

isn't it essentially a Mac ?

I assume you mean her PowerMac or MacBook pro, or even possibly an i-Mac or i-Book

I couldn't imagine what it would be like trying to create something on it, like I do all the time with a mouse, but I guess touch screens are the way of the future.

Fair enough. But 2 million iPads sold, now selling ("legally" as Steve Jobs would say) outside the US - knocked off by China and others - and I still can't figure out why I'd actually want one. I had thought that the idea with mobile stuff was to boil them all down into ONE device, which is why I understand the iPhone, say (or the superior Android). But the iPad is an extra carry-around that doesn't seem to do... well, anything useful. It's not a terrific book reader, it doesn't take phone calls, I can already put everything I want for a month on a 16-gig thumb drive that weighs nothing and takes up zero room in my pocket....

The 4G HTC Droid based device debuted yesterday.

Figures,I just got a free Blackberry Bold 9700 yesterday for extending my contract for 1 year.It'll be an HTC for me next.

Ok. I see what you mean. Quite an expensive gadget then, if you already have a laptop. Is all the your stuff put on it via USB?

I wonder if the 2 million people needed one? :D

Apple-philes/drones will buy anything Apple.

I wonder if the 2 million people needed one? B)

Zero "needed" it. Like I said before, it's a content consumption device. Nobody needs to listen to music, watch movies/TV, and casually surf the web. It's just another entertainment device, albeit a very good one.

I believe the Chinese already have a knock off copy called the iped already out for about $150.

Those pesky Chinese are quick on the draw. I was a cheap charlie a couple of years ago and bought a give away Cert phone which was a nearly exact copy of the iPhone. Only problem was I couldn't get it set up for the internet in the PI with either Smart or Globe. they each told me it didn't have the correct settings. And then the darn screen got cracked and the phone was relegated to a gift to one of the sweet babes of the PI. Since it was a Chinese knock off it couldn't be repaired in the Philippines.

it's better to go for the chinese model. simple that way. Apple is expensive and completely worthless in the eyes of many. I, however, got hooked when a rep in a store said to me as I was considering my first Mac, " I'ts really kind of hard to screw up a mac". Five years later, I have to agree with him although I've certainly tested the Macs to the limit.

I recommend you buy the real deal if you're so inclined to own an iPad and insure you're a happy camper. you won't regret it. Just get over the cost factor and buy quality. It's only money and you only go through this thing once.

Edited by 9cisco999