Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Nationwide flex up to 2% + £1

Only taking out 10,000bht per transaction is not the most efficient way to get your money out of an ATM - at £1=50bht you could get 14,000bht, more if the exchange rate continues to improve.

However, it looks like good old travellers cheques are going to be the cheapest way to get your baht. From Nationwide, Sterling TCs are free, except for £3.50 postage/delivery, max amount £2500.

More bad news from The Nationwide on the T/C's front.They stopped this service on July 31st.It looks like they are really turning the screw on their members.It begs me to think what kind of different service they are now giving compared to Banks?Poor interest rates.Multiple charges for card usage,stopping their Travel money service.Time to cut loose methinks.Fuck the Nationwide.

Edited by THE_DRUID
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I've already posted this once, but why not just open a Thai bank account and periodically wire money to Thailand? Once the money is in your Thai bank, that should be the end of the ATM charges, for the most part.

Edited by js007
Damn, the Nationwide was my last option for commission free Sterling TCs. Many places do € or $ cheques but they hit you on the exchange rate. As I don't trust cards in LOS, looks like I'll be paying 1% on TCs next trip. Not ideal, that's an evenings money gone or I'll be carrying cash next trip. :rolleyes:

Hey, I've got 3 (small) accounts with the Nationwide and it's a mutual society, so I own a bit of it, maybe I should march in and demand that they do TCs again? Might work. :allright

Brian,I have just opened a Lloyds/TSB current account,it took about a week for my Card and Pin to arrive .You can order Sterling T/C's with Lloyds/TSB commission free as long as you order them either on line or on the phone using your Debit card from your current account to pay for them.If you go into a branch and order them however you will be charged 1.5%.

ScreenHunter_03_Jul._23_09.58.gif

ScreenHunter_01_Jul._23_08.23.gif

I Telephoned the Travel money hotline to enquire about T/C's and the highest denomination they do is £200 Sterling T/C's.When you phone you have to state the denominations you want and tell them what branch you want to pick them up at.If you have them delivered then the charge is £4.50 to cover the cost of Registered Post.

Hope this info helps.i haven't ordered yet as i am not going to Los until the last week in September but this is the way i will be purchasing T/C's from now on.The Nationwide charges come into affect November so this trip will be the last time i use the Nationwide Debit card in Los(apart from emergencies).It's a Mixture of T/C's and Cash from now on for me.

Maybe I've already posted this once, but why not just open a Thai bank account and periodically wire money to Thailand? Once the money is in you Thai bank, that should be the end of the ATM charges, for the most part.

Certain issues have already been posted on this thread about opening a Thai bank account and it can be something of a mine field for a foreigner to get a Bank account up and running.It's possible but hit and miss as reported.

Certain issues have already been posted on this thread about opening a Thai bank account and it can be something of a mine field for a foreigner to get a Bank account up and running.It's possible but hit and miss as reported.

I think you overstate the difficulty.

Yes, upping the withdrawn amount to 14000 would save a few £ I suppose.

I looked at getting travellers cheques from nationwide but they have just stopped doing them!! At the moment I'm looking at getting a Halifax Clarity credit card. This is a no fee card, including for all cash advances even those at foreign ATMs. By paying the planned spending money in to the credit card account before travelling I figure I will avoid the interest charges as well, just leaving the 150baht local fee to pay. So this is option 2 if I have trouble opening a bank account next time I'm over there.

Cheers

I called into my local Halifax last week enquiring about the Clarity Visa Card and you are only elegible for one if you already don't have a Visa Credit card with the Halifax, i already have one.The advisor told me that in order to apply for one i would have to close down/Cancel my present Visa Card and wait for 1 month before i can apply for the Clarity Visa Card and then i was still not guaranteed that i would be accepted for the Clarity Card.I stressed that i also have 3 other types of investments/accounts with the Halifax but i was basically told by the advisor that this counts for nothing.You are not allowed to have more than one Visa Card issued by the Halifax at one time apart from having a 'charity' Credit card i was told.Their are no usage fees but you will incur a 12.9% APR which monthly roughly works out @£1 for every £100 in cash you withdraw.This is the best Credit Card out there at the moment for withdrawing cash on(but don't forget to also take into account the Thai Banking ATM usage charge of 150 baht per transaction.

Here's the Link to info about The Halifax Clarity Credit Card

Halifax Clarity Credit Card

Edited by THE_DRUID
Overstate in what respect??

In my experience, it's very, very easy to open a kasikorn A/C. No difficulty, no Visa, no problem, 10/15 mins you've got your book, card, go outside and change your PIN.

Only ever had a yearly, not monthly (TRN, that's what it says on my book) charge of 200, but then it's never been below 1000. I also get interest paid twice yearly.

I next arrive end of Oct, so that'll be the last time i use my Nationwide Debit (except for an emergency), then it'll be cash from the safe into my Kasikorn A/C as and when i need it/think it's a good exchange rate on that day.

Have helped a few people set up a Kasikorn A/C with just their Passport and address (no bother with Hotel ect) where they are staying, really, it's easy, well with Kasikorn anyway..

Re. opening a local (Thai) account; this is always a lottery. Many will say "Mister, must have residence certificate, go to Immigration". That's a lot of poncing around with letter a from your Thai landlord, photos and other formalities plus a couple of hundred baht. I did this, but I had plenty of time, so it was no problem.

Well for some reason Bangkok Bank did require one of me (same branch) years ago, but the residence letter was easy, they just wanted to see my rental contract.... and copies of course. You did get a rental agreement didn't you? :rolleyes:

So far, I've opened two Thai bank accounts. The first, at Siam Commercial at the beginning of Walking Street. I was in and out in 15 minutes. The second, at Kaiskorn bank in Pattaya, down by Tuk-Com. Again, I was in and out in 15 minutes, with no problem.

It costs me $40 to wire funds from the USA. If you only do that every other month or so, it works out OK.

The greedy US banks got so bad with their ATM charges, it was almost obscene. Imagine paying about 500 baht just to the US bank, every time you use the ATM. Do the Thai banks still try to charge an extra 150? That adds up to over $20 US, to use the ATM. I'll pass on that.

In my experience, it's very, very easy to open a kasikorn A/C. No difficulty, no Visa, no problem, 10/15 mins you've got your book, card, go outside and change your PIN.

Only ever had a yearly, not monthly (TRN, that's what it says on my book) charge of 200, but then it's never been below 1000. I also get interest paid twice yearly.

I next arrive end of Oct, so that'll be the last time i use my Nationwide Debit (except for an emergency), then it'll be cash from the safe into my Kasikorn A/C as and when i need it/think it's a good exchange rate on that day.

Have helped a few people set up a Kasikorn A/C with just their Passport and address (no bother with Hotel ect) where they are staying, really, it's easy, well with Kasikorn anyway..

Thanks for that info Irish boy. Kasikorn sounds like its the one to go for if i decide to open a Bank Account in Los.I can live with leaving only a small amount in the account and the yearly charge of 200 Baht.Which Branch in Pattaya of The Kasikorn do you suggest?I believe their is stilll an ATM withdrawal charge.True? if so how much per transaction is it? also i hear if you use the card in a different province to where you opened your account in,then their is a charge.Is this true? If so how much is the charge?

Do the Thai banks still try to charge an extra 150?
I am afraid so, I can only avoid it using the rare Aeon machines.

Last year I opened a KSB account getting a KSB ATM card. IIRC ongoing fees were 100THB/year if I maintain balance of 2000THB.

I then got internet banking enabled so I could monitor online and a virtual visa card setup for use for online purchases.

I had some AUD travellers cheques, and it would cost me 150THB to change 1000AUD approx 30000THB, however I noticed that when I withdrew money from my AUS ATM card, that it also cost 150THB, however the ATM card was charged in AUD, so my bank, NAB, didn't get the opportunity to rip me off on the FOREX rate and then also rip me off with a foreign transaction fee, and further KSB gave me a better rate for ATM withdrawal than for TCs. So TCs are off the agenda for the future.

Next time I'm planning on bringing some cash to dump into KSB, and then use my AUS ATM card to top up if required.

I found this useful info on the 'Net'.

Banking

Setting up a bank account in Thailand is easy and quick, as long as you have your passport. You can bring in practically any amount of money, though getting it back out is another matter, as discussed in the section on Transferring Money From Abroad. Practically anyone living here should do this immediately. There are few legal restrictions as long as the money originates from abroad, though you will get a savings account, not a checking account.

Cheques are seldom written here and are normally restricted to business transactions using company accounts. You can get a local ATM card immediately, as is standard practice, but not a chequebook. For large purchases, you can go to your bank to arrange a bank cheque to carry to the vendor. Your ATM card will work in any ATM machine regardless of bank.

You will be given a bank book. You will not be mailed detailed bank statements from the bank as in many western countries. You should carry this bank book with you whenever you do a transaction with a teller. They will put the bank book into their machine, and your transactions will be printed on the pages of the bank book in order. If you do a lot of transactions (ATM, deposits) without bringing in your bank book for a long time, then one line may include a combination of many transactions in value with no itemization (one line with code ACM for ACcuMulated).

You can use any branch of your bank for most transactions such as depositing local cheques, but you will find that a few services are available only at the branch in which you opened your bank account. The same goes for cashing (vs. depositing) a cheque -- you must go to the branch number on the cheque of the issuing party, as is written clearly on the cheque, if you wish to cash the cheque. You can call the bank (phone numbers below) and find out where the branch is. For depositing a cheque, if the issuing party uses the same bank as yourself, then the money will usually be available for withdrawal immediately upon deposit. However, if the cheque is from a different Thai bank, then it will clear in two days, e.g., if you put it in Tuesday afternoon then it will be available for ATM withdrawal after 6:30pm on Thursday. If you deposit it before 10:00am, then the funds will usually be available the next day after 6:30pm.

When you fill out a deposit or withdrawal form, be sure to use a duplicate form (carbon or chemical) so that you make two copies. They keep one and they stamp the copy to give to you as a receipt and with a computer printout on it having your name clearly typed. If your bank is poorly managed so you are stuck with no carbon, then just fill out two forms separately, as it won't matter. Make sure to bring your passport if you want to withdraw cash at the counter rather than at an ATM.

Which bank is best is up for debate.

I don't like Bangkok Bank because for so many years they didn't even offer English on their ATM machines though that eventually changed, but they still were slow to accomodate those who can't read Thai. My favorite has always been Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), which had good English from the start in 1994, including in their ATMs, almost always has good service, and maintains a good reputation. Another bank, Kasikorn, formerly "Thai Farmers Bank" (but they are not just for farmers; that's just their origin long ago) also provides exemplary quality of service, is very modern, and has a good reputation in the hi-so financial community. These are the top three for foreigners. Bangkok Bank stays in there because the previously staked claim as the biggest Thai bank in southeast Asia.

Technically, foreigners are now required a work permit to open a bank account. Nonetheless, the banks serve many tourists who wish to put their money into a local bank and use a local ATM account for their stay here, especially if they're staying for one to three months. It's reasonable to expect that a work permit and other documentation are required to open a checking account, but not a savings account tied to an ATM card for withdrawals. Like many foreigners say, if one branch refuses you, then just go to another branch of the same bank, or else another bank, and it's rare to be rejected more than 3 times. Many people get it in their first attempt.

Transferring Money To/From Abroad

Besides using a credit card as discussed above, there are other ways of transferring money from abroad. Some require setting up a bank account in Thailand, which is easy and quick as discussed in the previous section on Banking. There are also branches of several foreign banks in Bangkok, as also listed previously.

Western Union is the fastest way to send money, e.g., same day, but is the most expensive way. You have to go pick up the money at the Western Union office. They are located in certain Central Department stores in Bangkok. To find out which ones, call 02-254-9121. I've used the Central on the corner of Phloenchit and Wittayu, though the Western Union outlet was hard to find and in a remote part of the store.

Wiring money from an overseas bank account to your Thai bank account (or vice versa) usually takes one to three days, though sometimes it can take more than a week, depending upon the banks and the system used. It can also be pretty expensive.

If you plan to deposit a cheque written to you personally, try to make sure the cheque is written to your full name, for example Joseph Antonio Blow instead of Joseph Blow. This is because your Thai bank account will be in your full name, and branches and central offices have been known to reject deposits without the middle name in it. It depends on the bank and branch. I've had to argue with a few of them, and the time and effort to prevent this makes it worth avoiding this issue.

One of the cheapest ways is to send an international cashier's cheque or money order which you prepare at a bank, e.g., Siam City Bank as recommended by several people. Such a cheque should be sent by a registered international courier, e.g., DHL. These couriers are listed on our page on Postal and Courier.

Notably, do not use the post office Money Order service. You don't get a money order cheque. It's a farce. Go to a Bangkok Bank or a Thai Farmer's Bank instead. There is an alluring advertisement on the website of the Communications Authority of Thailand (who is in charge of the post offices) at http://www.cat.or.th/new/postal.htm, and you'll see a Money Order place in post offices. Again, don't use it. Here's my experience.

To send money or to receive cash, you will need your passport in hand.

There are generally no restrictions on receiving money, but sending money is another matter, as is walking out of the country with money. Many new regulations were put into place as a result of the 1997 economic collapse and currency speculation which caused the Thai baht to fluctuate and become more unstable.

Transferring money will require an invoice from the remote receiver, and you should bring as much documentation as you can.

Currently, it is said that you can walk out with up to 50,000 baht.

To convert Thai baht into cash without any other documentation, you will need to bring your plane ticket and your passport.

[The latter part of the above section has a lot of TBD to be added.]

Transferring Money Within Thailand by ATM Transfer

If you already have a bank account in Thailand, it's quick and easy to send money to someone else's bank account in Thailand, or to some company's bank account. This is a common method of payment.

The only trick is that you must go to an ATM machine owned by your bank. For example, if you have an SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) ATM card, and your girlfriend has a Kasikorn Bank (KBank) then you must go to an SCB bank ATM to transfer the money. You cannot use a Krung Thai Bank ATM or a Kasikorn Bank ATM or anything except an SCB Bank ATM. Likewise, if you girlfriend wants to send some money to you, then she must go to a Kasikorn Bank ATM, not an SCB ATM.

The ATM machines vary, but the process usually goes like this:

1. Put in your ATM card and enter your PIN number.

2. Choose English language :-)

3. Choose "Transfer"

4. Choose the receiving bank

5. Type in the recipient's account number

6. Type in the money amount to send

7. Wait a moment. The ATM will retrieve and display the recipient's name for you to verify it's correct.

It's very easy and quick. The money is instantly available to the other person.

Keep the receipt. If you need it for tax records, then you should photocopy or scan it, because most of the receipts fade very quickly (thermal paper). The receipt will have the sender's and receiver's account number, transaction number, amount, date and time. It won't have any names on it.

Notably, interbank transfer often fails after 10pm, though transfers within different accounts of the same bank usually work 24 hours/day.

Bad news for those UK guys who, like me, have been using the Nationwide Flexaccount for cash withdrawals in Thailand.

From 1st November the conversion fee will go up from the current 1% to 2%. In addition, there will be a flat fee of £1 per transaction.

In a typical 2 week trip to Thailand I normally take 10 lots of 10,000 out of the ATMs. Assuming a rate of 50=£1 each withdrawal will be £200. So the fees will be £4 (200*2%) + £1 + £3 (ATM fee of 150baht) =£8 a go. Thats £80 per visit and I go 5 times each year so £400 per year.

So it looks like it is time for me to open a local bank account which I've never tried to do before because I'm always there on the 30day airport stamp and I just couldn't be arsed to try and do it. I understand you need a visa to open an account so can any of you advise which visa I need to get?

Cheers

I think you will probably need an 'O' Visa from Hull £108 incl Postage to open a Thai acct. A tourist Visa probably wont suffice. For the sake of the hundred quid I don't think it's worth you risking trying to do it on a tourist stamp. You also don't need an immigration letter from Jontiem your passport and non imm 'O' visa is sufficient.

However thats cheaper than your £400 a year charges.

SCB Charge me a flat 1,000 baht for receiving money from the UK.

Your transferring £2,000 a time so open up an account with www.worldwidecurrencies.com they transfer anything over £500 free I also use smart currencies but they charge £20 for anything under £3,000 You can do an internet payment direct to either of these exchange companies free from your UK account.

More bad news from The Nationwide on the T/C's front.They stopped this service on July 31st.It looks like they are really turning the screw on their members.It begs me to think what kind of different service they are now giving compared to Banks?Poor interest rates.Multiple charges for card usage,stopping their Travel money service.Time to cut loose methinks.Fuck the Nationwide.

Just tried Nationwide today (3/8/2010), and have ordered £2500 Travellers Cheques, commission free, £3.50 delivery. Not advertising it on the website and the old 0800 number directs you to a new tel number - 0845 3010417. Only limits are max £2500 per order and only once in 90 days.

Just tried Nationwide today (3/8/2010), and have ordered £2500 Travellers Cheques, commission free, £3.50 delivery. Not advertising it on the website and the old 0800 number directs you to a new tel number - 0845 3010417. Only limits are max £2500 per order and only once in 90 days.

That's interesting. Thanks. Did you have the option of collecting the TCs from a branch rather than them being sent through the post?

Brian,I have just opened a Lloyds/TSB current account,it took about a week for my Card and Pin to arrive .You can order Sterling T/C's with Lloyds/TSB commission free as long as you order them either on line or on the phone using your Debit card from your current account to pay for them.If you go into a branch and order them however you will be charged 1.5%.

ScreenHunter_03_Jul._23_09.58.gif

ScreenHunter_01_Jul._23_08.23.gif

I Telephoned the Travel money hotline to enquire about T/C's and the highest denomination they do is £200 Sterling T/C's.When you phone you have to state the denominations you want and tell them what branch you want to pick them up at.If you have them delivered then the charge is £4.50 to cover the cost of Registered Post.

Hope this info helps.i haven't ordered yet as i am not going to Los until the last week in September but this is the way i will be purchasing T/C's from now on.The Nationwide charges come into affect November so this trip will be the last time i use the Nationwide Debit card in Los(apart from emergencies).It's a Mixture of T/C's and Cash from now on for me.

Thanks, I have a Lloyds CC so I'll bear that one in mind.

Thanks for that info Irish boy. Kasikorn sounds like its the one to go for if i decide to open a Bank Account in Los.I can live with leaving only a small amount in the account and the yearly charge of 200 Baht.Which Branch in Pattaya of The Kasikorn do you suggest?I believe their is stilll an ATM withdrawal charge.True? if so how much per transaction is it? also i hear if you use the card in a different province to where you opened your account in,then their is a charge.Is this true? If so how much is the charge?

Before Irish boy gets back to you, can I just add he's absolutely correct about the simplicity of opening a Kasikorn acc.

I used the branch beside Tuk.com & 20min later had the pass book and ATM card.

I took with me my passport (with 30 day standard visa) & business card of my accommodation (also Thai mobile number).

Changed my pin outside. I never had any withdrawal charge when using the ATM,

Sorry I cant help with the different province issue as I haven't that adventurous so far.

hope this helps a little.

cheers rogero :rolleyes: :allright :beer

Edited by rogero

I use the one in Soi Bauhkao, up by RCON, but that's cos I'm usually about there anyway. Don't think it matters which branch to open an A/C. Mabay try the one by Tuk Com, big and easy to find.

There's not a withdrawal charge using a Kasikorn card that i'm aware of, only a foreign ATM card,if that's what you mean. Although yes i have heard that in different Provinces they do charge, although not sure of the boundaries or how much as i've always used Nationwide before. I'd be interested to hear the answer to that myself as i'll be putting cash in my Kasikorn and using their card from now on.

Yea i usually leave about 3000 in it, nothing much, just enough to make sure it's open. I also have Internet Banking set up, so can look at my A/C anytime i want. Which was good after i bought my Condo and my Thai Solicitor put the change in.....just to check, to be sure to sure... :rolleyes: Also good if you SWIFT money over and want to check it got there and how much you got after exchange rate ect

I've had nothing but a good, professional experience with Kasikorn.

That's interesting. Thanks. Did you have the option of collecting the TCs from a branch rather than them being sent through the post?

I think the only option was delivered to home address.

Before Irish boy gets back to you, can I just add he's absolutely correct about the simplicity of opening a Kasikorn acc.

I used the branch beside Tuk.com & 20min later had the pass book and ATM card.

I took with me my passport (with 30 day standard visa) & business card of my accommodation (also Thai mobile number).

Changed my pin outside. I never had any withdrawal charge when using the ATM,

Sorry I cant help with the different province issue as I haven't that adventurist so far.

hope this helps a little.

cheers rogero :thumbup

Thanks for the reply.I take it by 30 day standard Visa you mean a Visa you got from the Embassy/consulate and not the 30 day stamp you get on arrival in Los.I ask this because their are conflicting stories/experiences being posted ,irish boy mentioned that he had no problem opening a Kasikorn Bank account without a Visa and some people are saying you need to show a Visa? I imagine it's possibly 'Hit and Miss' and each branch may be different depending who you are dealing with.

I use the one in Soi Bauhkao, up by RCON, but that's cos I'm usually about there anyway. Don't think it matters which branch to open an A/C. Mabay try the one by Tuk Com, big and easy to find.

There's not a withdrawal charge using a Kasikorn card that i'm aware of, only a foreign ATM card,if that's what you mean. Although yes i have heard that in different Provinces they do charge, although not sure of the boundaries or how much as i've always used Nationwide before. I'd be interested to hear the answer to that myself as i'll be putting cash in my Kasikorn and using their card from now on.

Yea i usually leave about 3000 in it, nothing much, just enough to make sure it's open. I also have Internet Banking set up, so can look at my A/C anytime i want. Which was good after i bought my Condo and my Thai Solicitor put the change in.....just to check, to be sure to sure...

I've had nothing but a good, professional experience with Kasikorn.

Thanks Irish boy for posting some good advice regarding my queries about Kasikorn Bank accounts.

I called into my local Halifax last week enquiring about the Clarity Visa Card and you are only elegible for one if you already don't have a Visa Credit card with the Halifax, i already have one.The advisor told me that in order to apply for one i would have to close down/Cancel my present Visa Card and wait for 1 month before i can apply for the Clarity Visa Card and then i was still not guaranteed that i would be accepted for the Clarity Card.I stressed that i also have 3 other types of investments/accounts with the Halifax but i was basically told by the advisor that this counts for nothing.You are not allowed to have more than one Visa Card issued by the Halifax at one time apart from having a 'charity' Credit card i was told.Their are no usage fees but you will incur a 12.9% APR which monthly roughly works out @£1 for every £100 in cash you withdraw.This is the best Credit Card out there at the moment for withdrawing cash on(but don't forget to also take into account the Thai Banking ATM usage charge of 150 baht per transaction.

Here's the Link to info about The Halifax Clarity Credit Card

Halifax Clarity Credit Card

After posting the above a few days ago regarding The Halifax Clarity Credit Card yesterday i decided to give the Halifax a call.I explained to the adviser on the phone that i already had a Halifax Credit Card and she confirmed that i would have to close that card/account down if i wanted a Clarity Card.However she said that she can put my existing Halifax Visa Card on Hold whilst i apply for a Clarity Card and if i got turned down for the Clarity Card The Halifax will be able to reactivate my existing Halifax Credit Card(There was no mention of having to wait 30 days before applying for the Clarity card once i had closed my existing Halifax C/C,so conflicting stories yet again from an adviser in a branch and an adviser on the phone!!!).I did the application over the phone and they gave me a reference number and they told me i have to phone them back in 48 hrs to see if my Clarity Credit Card application is succesful.I will post on here an update on the results of my application in the next few days.

Edited by THE_DRUID
I called into my local Halifax last week enquiring about the Clarity Visa Card and you are only elegible for one if you already don't have a Visa Credit card with the Halifax, i already have one.

I applied for my clarity card online, and it approved me, i have received the pin number but not the card yet, i also have a Halifax visa credit card but haven't used it for 6 months as i have better cards,

so i don't know if you might be worth applying online ??