Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 134 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

I don't mind the Russians. They bathe and their women are smokin' hot. I'll miss all the topless hotties on the beach (though they always seem to be accompanied by their babushkas).

• Upvote 1

Evidently 5 Russian tour companies have gone bust in the last 2 months

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-tourists-stranded-abroad-crisis-deepens-162713798.html

This real event is probably the reason for the "Russian pullback," rather than the nonexistent events rb mentioned.

No one in particular but given the large numbers of Russian tourists in Pattaya. Their absence will be noticed. Big time loss for the local economy.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/430663/chinese-skipping-thailand-after-coup

Add in a 25% decline with the Chinese tourist trade.

Just a thought in the form of a question - with the Ukraine thing going on and western (NATO country) economic sanctions against Russia, is there a connection?

The impact on their currency is certainly a connection.

• 2 months later...

Just an update from the OP...

It was a temporary lull in Russian visitors...they have been back in force for the last month, and now are back....the baht bus drivers are packing them in and loving it!!

Sorry for the picture quality...the missus was taking the pictures while I was driving. This is a load coming from the Ambassador Hotel south of Pattaya to central Pattaya yesterday.

2014-11-24 17.30.59.jpg

2014-11-24 17.30.57.jpg

• Upvote 1

So a collapse of the Rouble is the reason why numbers have increased in the last month by MM observations ???

Interesting

Yeah, that makes no sense to me either.

Hi.

The real "collapse" of the rouble is less than 1 month old ,

The "falling" of the rouble started barely 4 months ago ;

I suppose that most Russian tourists we are seeing now

have booked their trip 6 months (or more) ago, well before the rouble fall begin,

and IMHO we should not see a big change in Russian number for this high season.

Edited by Idefix

Hi.

The real "collapse" of the rouble is less than 1 month old ,

The "falling" of the rouble started barely 4 months ago ;

I suppose that most Russian tourists we are seeing now

have booked their trip 6 months (or more) ago, well before the rouble fall begin,

and IMHO we should not see a big change in Russian number for this high season.

We may see a change in their spending habits unless they bought their greenbacks 4-5 months ago too.

Them getting packed into the baht bus like sardines is more to do with the Thai drivers.

The balagan in-front of the Ambassador is quite a danger and has forced me to slow down somewhat and really needs to be organised before something big ploughs into a crowd.

The Russians need over $100/barrel to balance their budget, the current price is about $76, so they are in trouble.

Guest King_Midas

So a collapse of the Rouble is the reason why numbers have increased in the last month by MM observations ???

Interesting

No idea what his observations are. What I have witnessed is a total closure of all their "Travel Shops" on 2nd rd in the low season and certainly none of the creatures themselves (that were obvious) on Pattaya Beach Rd.

Maybe more were over Jomtien....

Edited by King_Midas

No idea what his observations are. What I have witnessed is a total closure of all their "Travel Shops" on 2nd rd in the low season and certainly none of the creatures themselves (that were obvious) on Pattaya Beach Rd.

My observations are in the pictures and commentary.

There's no shortage of Russians in Jomtien.

Longer term what will this mean for the glut of condos under construction………?

I'm still seeing Russians nest building in Index and Home Pro but when your currency takes such a hit…What was affordable becomes less so…..And backing out of deals is to be considered.

Edited by atlas2

Longer term what will this mean for the glut of condos under construction………?

I'm still seeing Russians nest building in Index and Home Pro but when your currency takes such a hit…What was affordable becomes less so…..And backing out of deals is to be considered.

Yes I had that thought in Homepro recently.

Next they will be wandering around hand-in-hand with a Chinese or Indian guy looking at curtain rods.

Pretty obvious what his observations are.... his comments and pictures and as a resident. Pretty straight forward.

You must have walked around with your eyes closed in low season as there are still some of their "Travel Shops" operating on 2nd road and they were on beach road walking and using the "beach" if you want to call it that.

And yes... there were some in Jomtien.

Guest King_Midas

Pretty obvious what his observations are.... his comments and pictures and as a resident. Pretty straight forward.

You must have walked around with your eyes closed in low season as there are still some of their "Travel Shops" operating on 2nd road and they were on beach road walking and using the "beach" if you want to call it that.

And yes... there were some in Jomtien.

Ok well all six close to where I stay were all closed throughout......

Maybe other were indeed operating. I'd put their presence as 20% of last high season certainly no more

I do not where you stayed but the area from near Soi 7 down towards Walking Street end of 2nd road... most of those were open and in that area on Beach Road there were a few walking around and on the "beach".

they were around... maybe a little less in numbers but as you say ... it was low season.