Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

registered sim cards and banned internet sites

Define won't work Gary......can't make calls but will receive or unable to get onto the network?

As far as putting it into a Thai ladle's name, I go along with Gonzo above. I normally look down on people who take this lazy option of everything in her name... an getting her to sort it! A disaster, or at best a lot of inconvenience, waiting to happen.

I can make calls to a registered SIM but can't receive any calls unless the number that calls me is also registered. I have three phones and none of the SIM cards are registered. Trying to call one phone from another gets me a recording saying I cannot connect to that number. I had thought that my SIM cards would not let me receive any calls. That was wrong, a friend called me and it came through. He told me that his SIM was registered.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazes me about how super secretive people are about their basically meaningless lives. I am not Jason Bourne or James Bond. If the government wants to waste its time and money listening to me bitch a

Ok. Once again, You will not lost your number even if you can't register in these 6 months What will happen is that you will not be able to make calls or send messages, but you will still be able

1. VPN for $35 a year   2. Go to Japan. Gaijin cannot have a cell phone at all, ouch.   3. Ask any convenient TG to get the phone for you.   Keep in mind you , an ordinary guy get a cell phone a

1. This registration is mandatory.

2. Thailand has become one of the most heavily censored countries in the world.

3. The military government hires people to monitor communications, including text messages I believe, and some of the things they find objectionable might surprise you.

4. All communications are stored. A comment you make today might get you in trouble years from now.

1. Mandatory in my country too

2. Censored? How does that impact your phone ??

3. Monitoring, yes. Which western country does not do it ? Without talking of USA who tries to monitor the whole world :rolleyes:

4. How long do they keep the records in your country ?

Idefix, does this registration apply to ALL phones?

Like, do I have to register my Japanese phone, which I use to receive calls from Japan?

I don't know. Didn't read anything about that.

I think you only have to register Thai SIM Cards, and only if you want call or send message.

Both my True numbers and my Dtac numbers won't work. AIS still works.

I can make calls to a registered SIM but can't receive any calls unless the number that calls me is also registered.

I don't understand Gary. Are you saying that yours phones are already blocked because not registered? I doubt about that because it's very clear that you have up to end of July to register. Only from August they will stop unregistered phones to call.

I don't understand Gary. Are you saying that yours phones are already blocked because not registered? I doubt about that because it's very clear that you have up to end of July to register. Only from August they will stop unregistered phones to call.

All I can tell you for sure is that only one of my phones work. I have Dtac, and two Truemove SIM cards. They have stopped working in both my smartphones. My old Nokia with an AIS SIM still works. I think AIS has not gotten around to blocking that one, YET.

I was very irritated because my dual SIM smartphone could call but not receive calls. I had thought it was the phone so I did a factory reset and had to setup the phone again. I am using 19 different apps and had to download all of them again. It WASN'T the phone.

3. Monitoring, yes. Which western country does not do it ? Without talking of USA who tries to monitor the whole world :rolleyes:

I think you only have to register Thai SIM Cards, and only if you want call or send message.

Points 1, 3 and 4: You're not making me feel any better.

Point 2: You see an ad for the Hunger Games. You take a picture and send it to your friends. Turns out it's considered a symbol of resistance to totalitarianism. The police detain you for questioning, though they release you after a couple of hours. This has happened. Compris?

On the last point, I hope I don't find that my Japanese phone doesn't work in Thailand unless I register it.

All I can tell you for sure is that only one of my phones work. I have Dtac, and two Truemove SIM cards. They have stopped working in both my smartphones. My old Nokia with an AIS SIM still works. I think AIS has not gotten around to blocking that one, YET.

I was very irritated because my dual SIM smartphone could call but not receive calls. I had thought it was the phone so I did a factory reset and had to setup the phone again. I am using 19 different apps and had to download all of them again. It WASN'T the phone.

On my Thai phone i also have a dual sim both TRUE MOVE and AIS...a few months ago after a trip i came back into Thailand and the TRUE MOVE was dead...no signal even tho i had over 1500 baht credit.

Went to TRUE next to Tuc com and they gave me a new sim card with my original number....5- minute job.

I did have to show a copy of my passport.

In addressing your argument, idefix, I'd say I don't like it in the USA either. So that's a moot point to me. The USA is the great gatherer of all and everything possible to know about any breathing soul. I don't like that any more than I like the idea of Thailand following in lockstep. I've passively tried my best for over 40 years to limit what governments know about me. I did so within the limits of the law. e.g. No, I won't give my fingerprint for my driver license because it is not a requirement. To a bank, I would not give my social security number because at the time it was not required by law. for a mandatory physical at work, i refused to give my SSAN again because i told them it was not to be used for purposes of identification.

Little things I know, but as MeGoDAnceNow says, it is an encroachment for sure on personal privacy/freedom.

And so far no one has even broached the part of the topic of banned internet sites which include such sites as the Daily Mail and CNN.

Little by little...

Edit to add: Things have changed and now I would have to give my fingerprint for that license as well as for the bank accounts. But I fought when I could and would do so again if possible.

Edited by 9cisco999

Must be right, I have 2 True lines and an AIS all registered and working OK.

Points 1, 3 and 4: You're not making me feel any better.

Point 2: You see an ad for the Hunger Games. You take a picture and send it to your friends. Turns out it's considered a symbol of resistance to totalitarianism. The police detain you for questioning, though they release you after a couple of hours. This has happened. Compris?

On the last point, I hope I don't find that my Japanese phone doesn't work in Thailand unless I register it.

I guess you mean Japanese SIM/ network. Can't see why it would not.

And so far no one has even broached the part of the topic of banned internet sites

which include such sites as the Daily Mail and CNN.

Probably because it's a no-problem. VPNs easily bypass this said ban.

Yes, or just use the Tor browser to view them.

The problem is that the same government that wants to know who you are if you want to use a mobile phone, is likely to get its panties in a bunch if you say things that would be considered quite innocent anywhere else. Censorship is bad, surveillance is bad. Censors doing surveillance? Bad squared!

Fuck all I can do about it but pretending it isn't dangerous doesn't solve the problem,

I went in today and registered the Truemove SIM card that is my normal main number. It is now working properly. I was surprised that our small city had a True shop. It has been open about three weeks. They charged me 10 baht to register the card. The other Truemove SIM is still fucked up. Using it to call my main SIM, it shows two different numbers. Why is that? The next time I go in, I will register that one also. Everything was working fine until the government got involved. My wife registered the AIS and Dtac cards for me. It appears that they are also working. property. I don't normally use either of those SIM cards,

I have often wondered, if a government wants to monitor the internet usage within it's country, a good place to start might well be known VPNs.

As a non-technical idiot , can some-one explain how the 'authorities' know if a phone is owned by a Thai or an ex-pat . My current phone was given to me as a gift from my son's mia noi - is it because it is set to English?

a good place to start might well be known VPNs.

No need to use a "well known VPN". Any Internet-connected computer outside Thailand can be used as a VPN. I rent for 2 Euro/month a small VPS from OVH that I use for many small things, one of them being a VPN ;)

As a non-technical idiot , can some-one explain how the 'authorities' know if a phone is owned by a Thai or an ex-pat.

If you registered your SIM with a passport, you must be a foreigner... ;) ... and more seriously, I don't think that Thai/foreigner is their problem. The initial reason for the registration was the "terrorism problem" in the South, and certainly mainly Thai people.

Edit: Mixed VPN/VPS ;)

Edited by Idefix

Yesterday when I registered my Truemove H SIM card, I gave them my Thai driver's license and my passport. The guy handed my passport back to me and said the driver's license is enough

Yesterday when I registered my Truemove H SIM card, I gave them my Thai driver's license and my passport. The guy handed my passport back to me and said the driver's license is enough

Because your passport number is written on it, and your address.

You can now use the website, pay your bill and all sorts of useless extras....... there is even a smart-phone app and my 2 SIM cards, the cable TV and Internet accounts are all there in one spot.

Edited by jacko

Probably just a coincidence, but I discovered this morning I could not send SMS texts and, apparently, could not make calls on my phone with an AIS SIM. Even topped up 200 baht through Kasikorn as a I thought that would generate a text to me. Nothing. It worked fine as a WiFi device.

So I headed off to the AIS store in Central Festival. Young lady checks my number and then checks to be sure there is a SIM. Then she restarts the phone. After all, it's a computer, if all else fails, reboot. The phone worked.

She then asked if I wanted to register the phone. I had brought my passport for that purpose but would have forgotten if she had not asked.

Then after I left the store, I got 7 SMS texts informing me I had topped up 20 baht. This was in addition to the earlier 200 baht I had done. No messages from Kasikorn so I don't think it was leakage or ghosts. Registration bonus?

Since some take great comfort in such things, thought I would pass this along

"This week on 60 Minutes, Lesley Stahl and producer Shachar Bar-On got an early look at Memex, a powerful new search engine developed by DARPA, the U.S. military's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

The inventor of Memex, Chris White, sat down with Stahl and Bar-On and explained how Memex works--and how it could revolutionize law enforcement investigations. (See Chris White's demonstration in the video player above.)

"The internet is much, much bigger than people think," White said. "By some estimates Google, Microsoft Bing, and Yahoo only give us access to around 5% of the content on the Web." That leaves a lot of room for bad actors to operate freely in the shadows.

White says that Memex goes far beyond the realm of traditional search engines and gives law enforcement a powerful new tool to search the "dark web," where criminals buy, sell, and advertise in the illegal weapons trade and sex trafficking.

"The easiest way to think about Memex is: How can I make the unseen seen?" said Dan Kaufman, director of the information innovation office at DARPA.

"Most people on the internet are doing benign and good things," Kaufman said. "But there are parasites that live on there, and we take away their ability to use the internet against us-- and make the world a better place.""

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-search-engine-exposes-the-dark-web/

Edited by nkped

Have you tried using one of the sim cards that doesnt work in the phone that currently works,it should work if it is the simcard that is being registered.

The initial reason for the registration was the "terrorism problem" in the South, and certainly mainly Thai people.

Yes, they tell the same story in my country too.

And mostly they catch people who are critical of the government. Sure it's mostly for Thai people but just try sending a text message that says "soldiers back to their barracks now" and see what happens.

// but just try sending a text message that says "soldiers back to their barracks now" and see what happens.

Just sent it to you :smile:

and I added as first line "Hi General" ;)

Edited by Idefix
  • Upvote 1

Amazes me about how super secretive people are about their basically meaningless lives. I am not Jason Bourne or James Bond. If the government wants to waste its time and money listening to me bitch about the wife or what a great shag i just from wtf's her name from wtf bar let them. I would rather know there are ears out there that may prevent a terrorist attack and if i shagged number 69 up the arse to their kowledge then so be it

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1