Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

registered sim cards and banned internet sites

I realize I have to go along with the program as long as I'm living in Thailand, but I don't feel thrilled at the idea. The direction things are headed for everyone here is to a more and more restrictive level.

I was already disappointed to find out about the internet thing but when I learned today about registering sim cards with a passport, I'd say that is taking away what many like to call a non nanny state condition.

Seems to be getting to the point where it's a really in your face kind of thing. ? ? ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazes me about how super secretive people are about their basically meaningless lives. I am not Jason Bourne or James Bond. If the government wants to waste its time and money listening to me bitch a

Ok. Once again, You will not lost your number even if you can't register in these 6 months What will happen is that you will not be able to make calls or send messages, but you will still be able

1. VPN for $35 a year   2. Go to Japan. Gaijin cannot have a cell phone at all, ouch.   3. Ask any convenient TG to get the phone for you.   Keep in mind you , an ordinary guy get a cell phone a

1. VPN for $35 a year

2. Go to Japan. Gaijin cannot have a cell phone at all, ouch.

3. Ask any convenient TG to get the phone for you.

Keep in mind you , an ordinary guy get a cell phone and make ordinary calls and these mean nothing to anyone (the Thai government hasn't got a football stadium full of people listening in to a million simultaneous calls, especially in a language they don't understand).

• Upvote 2

2. Go to Japan. Gaijin cannot have a cell phone at all, ouch.

Where is this enforced? I have been in Japan numerous times and have bought 3 cell phones. Granted, they may be more relaxed on the US Navy bases but I never had a problem getting one. They did ask for ID, my Gov ID worked fine, and then for an addreess. When I said I was on TDY, they just made one up...well actually I think they just used the booths address. A few hours later I had a working phone

They're very restrictive in Japan but foreigners can have a mobile phone. I've got one in my pocket now. If you are a visitor to Japan you can rent one at the airport with a credit card.

But they try to prevent anyone from using a mobile phone or the internet without being identifiable. If you go to an internet cafe in Japan (nasty places) you have to show ID, which they write down. Free wifi usually is not available or requires providing an email address at least.

Ostensibly this all started 20 years ago or so when a crazy dude kidnapped a bus full of children using a burn phone (purchased without ID). ID is now required to get a mobile, and pay-as-you-go is not available.

Fortunately Japan does not restrict access to websites, yet. Thailand seems to be going from worse to worser. I long for the old days when Thailand was a democracy and Burma was run by tinpot generals. Like GP says, get a VPN, preferably based in Switzerland.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm trying to display the AIS message when you dial *141# that it shows when you do NOT have a registered SIM. I'm ticked off as I did go to AIS and they did type my paper details into their computer.

This decision will cause other ramifications. I have had my number for about 10 years and it is recorded by my Thai bank account. If I want to transfer money they will send a use once pin which I receive on my phone which has the thai sim card in Australia. I will not be in Thailand for some time yet and I will just just have to let the number go which means no more transfering funds on line. I only have 10K baht in the account so I will just withdraw it via an ATM here in Sydney and let the account go together with the phone number. For me it is a minor annoyance but some others might transact larger amounts. I have mainly used it to transfer AUD when the exchange rate is favourable to use on holidays.

After the phones they just might get serious about foreign owned bank accounts.

This decision will cause other ramifications. I have had my number for about 10 years and it is recorded by my Thai bank account. If I want to transfer money they will send a use once pin which I receive on my phone which has the thai sim card in Australia. I will not be in Thailand for some time yet and I will just just have to let the number go which means no more transfering funds on line. I only have 10K baht in the account so I will just withdraw it via an ATM here in Sydney and let the account go together with the phone number. For me it is a minor annoyance but some others might transact larger amounts. I have mainly used it to transfer AUD when the exchange rate is favourable to use on holidays.

After the phones they just might get serious about foreign owned bank accounts.

Your problem surely is only transferring money out of your Thai account?

(And for me a OTP is only required when it is a new recipient to be recorded.).

Your problem surely is only transferring money out of your Thai account?

(And for me a OTP is only required when it is a new recipient to be recorded.).

What bank is that? I have Kasikorn and when I do a transfer (not a bill pay), I get sent an OTP...every time.

What bank is that? I have Kasikorn and when I do a transfer (not a bill pay), I get sent an OTP...every time.

Bangkok Bank..... if I want to transfer/pay I have a list of those already entered pop up.

Add a new payee will require the OTP being entered.

Edited by jacko

// I will not be in Thailand for some time yet and I will just just have to let the number go which means no more transfering funds on line. //

Ok. Once again, You will not lost your number even if you can't register in these 6 months

What will happen is that you will not be able to make calls or send messages,

but you will still be able to receive messages & SMS. So you will continue to get your OTPs :smile:

• Upvote 3

Ok. Once again, You will not lost your number even if you can't register in these 6 months

What will happen is that you will not be able to make calls or send messages,

but you will still be able to receive messages & SMS. So you will continue to get your OTPs :smile:

I haven't been able to confirm that you would be able to receive calls and SMS messages while International roaming.

But you could be correct, as I believe there is no surcharge to forward an SMS to me (AIS) while I am in the UK.

To check/confirm if your prepaid SIM is registered, use the following codes.

True *151#

AIS *141#

DTAC *102#

I am afraid the response is in Thai text, but a smart phone (or not so-smart Thai woman) and Google Translate can help you there.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I haven't been able to confirm that you would be able to receive calls and SMS messages while International roaming.

But you could be correct, as I believe there is no surcharge to forward an SMS to me (AIS) while I am in the UK.

To check/confirm if your prepaid SIM is registered, use the following codes.

True *151#

AIS *141#

DTAC *102#

I am afraid the response is in Thai text, but a smart phone (or not so-smart Thai woman) and Google Translate can help you there.

Thanks for that. I have two prepaid phones with True and dialed *151#. The instant SMS from True showed my phone number and passport number on both mobile prepaids. I asked the TGF to have a look and she confirmed that all was alright after reading the Thai text. I recall registering my phones about 10 years ago.

For anyone with an unregistered prepaid phone it is easy enough to register. Just go to Big C Extra upstairs, or to any other office of your phone company with your passport and have your phone(s) registered. It should only take a couple of minutes.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that. I have two prepaid phones with True and dialed *151#. The instant SMS from True showed my phone number and passport number on both mobile prepaids. I asked the TGF to have a look and she confirmed that all was alright after reading the Thai text. I recall registering my phones about 10 years ago.

If it was 10years ago have you not changed your passport and hence number since?

I am sure my AIS uses my old passport number, and AIS *141# returns only Thai text saying registered.

My wife is off registering all of our sims now. Mine in her name but being as her bike, my bike, the house, and dog are registered with her i'm not to worried about my sim. Any problems or irregularities regarding these registrations involving foreigners i will post them

My wife is off registering all of our sims now. Mine in her name but being as her bike, my bike, the house, and dog are registered with her i'm not to worried about my sim. Any problems or irregularities regarding these registrations involving foreigners i will post them

I was really actually venting about what I see as governmental intrusion. The government can triangulate and find any phone it wants, but now it wants a name and ID # associated with a phone at all times. I just don't follow along with the adage that if I have nothing to hide just make my life an open book for a government. (as if it isn't already)

Nothing to see here, just keep moving...

I have a VPN but why wouldn't I be surprised to find one day the government has filtered them as well?

Edited by 9cisco999
  • Upvote 1

I was really actually venting about what I see as governmental intrusion. The government can triangulate and find any phone it wants, but now it wants a name and ID # associated with a phone at all times. I just don't follow along with the adage that if I have nothing to hide just make my life an open book for a government. (as if it isn't already)

Nothing to see here, just keep moving...

I have a VPN but why wouldn't I be surprised to find one day the government has filtered them as well?

That's the real problem. It's an affront on our privacy and our liberty. Anyone who says "I have nothing to fear because I'm doing nothing wrong" is hiding his head in the sand -- or in something worse.

If it was 10years ago have you not changed your passport and hence number since?

I am sure my AIS uses my old passport number, and AIS *141# returns only Thai text saying registered.

Aussie passports are good for 10 years. Mine expires in 2017, so I guess I registered the two phones after my valid passport was issued in 2007. On a different note, I have to renew my 5-year Thai driver's licenses in a week's time after they expire on my birthday. The new 5-year Thai licenses will then have an invalid passport number on them, when I have to renew the Australian passport in 2017 with a different passport number. All this bureaucratic bullshit seems to follow one from the cradle to the grave. :frustrated1:

• Upvote 1

The Thai government at work; Both my True numbers and my Dtac numbers won't work. AIS still works. Maybe they haven't gotten around to stopping that number yet. What a bunch of bullshit !!

For those expats that have a Thai wife/partner it is simple - put the phone in her name

I trust my longtime partner with my life. She saved it twice. Nevertheless, there is no chance I will put anything of value in her name, real estate, bank accounts or other chattels. She will be well provided for, should I expire before she does. Most Thais are inherently stupid when it comes to looking after anything of value. My phone gets used for transactions and there is no way I will put it in another persons name.

• Upvote 1

The Thai government at work; Both my True numbers and my Dtac numbers won't work. AIS still works. Maybe they haven't gotten around to stopping that number yet. What a bunch of bullshit !!

Define won't work Gary......can't make calls but will receive or unable to get onto the network?

As far as putting it into a Thai ladle's name, I go along with Gonzo above. I normally look down on people who take this lazy option of everything in her name... and getting her to sort it! A disaster, or at best a lot of inconvenience, waiting to happen.

Edited by jacko
spelling

Define won't work Gary......can't make calls but will receive or unable to get onto the network?

As far as putting it into a Thai ladle's name, I go along with Gonzo above. I normally look down on people who take this lazy option of everything in her name... an getting her to sort it! A disaster, or at best a lot of inconvenience, waiting to happen.

Or buy a cheap phone, get some random Thai guy to register it for a fee and have him sign an undated form saying he sold it to you.

Edit: This is a really worrying development when combined with the extreme censorship of this current government. And don't forget all our text messages are not only intercepted but stored permanently. :(

Edited by MeGoDanceNow

Seriously guys ?? What's the problem here ?

- Many people registered voluntarily long ago because their phone number is important and they don't want to lost it.

- How is this registration different from the registration in western countries ?

Seriously guys ?? What's the problem here ?

- Many people registered voluntarily long ago because their phone number is important and they don't want to lost it.

- How is this registration different from the registration in western countries ?

1. This registration is mandatory.

2. Thailand has become one of the most heavily censored countries in the world.

3. The military government hires people to monitor communications, including text messages I believe, and some of the things they find objectionable might surprise you.

4. All communications are stored. A comment you make today might get you in trouble years from now.

Some of these things are true in Western countries, and I object to those too. But our countries are not nearly as heavily censored and our civic institutions are much stronger. I don't like this one bit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1