Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Stepcounter. Where to buy? Anybody use one and can recommend?

I walk between 1 to 2 hours a day along varying routes but want to get a more accurate measure of how far or how many steps a day I do..

I want something that I strap to my wrist and something that is easy to use..

Does anybody have any idea of where to buy one in Pattaya???

I know a few people who seem to have apps on their phones which perform a similar function. Might be worth looking into, especially if you can find a free one.

Yes mate...That was the first option that came up on a search but I have an ancient steam driven phone.

I am currently waiting for my daughter to get out the shower to translate and identify the list of Omron distributers in Thailand .... Although their website doesn't show any wrist band options..

Hi

I am unsure on the accuracy of such devices. You cadence doesn't change much but the length of your steps change a lot depending on what kind of ground you walk on.

I know some people are happy with Apps using their phone's GPS, but you said not an option for you

As you say you walk daily, I think you should have a good idea of your average walking speed, and then the walked distance. It's what I do. A good way to estimate/calibrate your speed, is to draw one of your daily route on Google Earth to know its exact length.

And to reply your last question: http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=step%20counter ;)

Edited by Idefix

Go to Tukcom.

There you can find all manner of digital watches & Fitbits, both real and knock offs.

When I was there last December I bought a Samsung knock off watch for 700 baht. It worked, but the battery only lasted about 7 hours. It also had a 1 mega pixel camera, capable to bluetooth to your phone and had a sim card slot.

It was a cool little inexpensive toy that might fit your need.

I have a FitBit Charge that I have been using about 1 1/2 years... well actually 4 since the bands on this model started to come apart after 3-4 months. FitBit sent out a new replacement the first 3 times but after the 1 year warranty expired, they would not. The unit works fine though..just make sure to get a model that has a better band.

Thanks to everybody for your replies and ideas.

I sent my daughter to Tucom to investigate and also asked my sons in UK to check out options..

This morning I received this reply from my eldest son in UK via Skype...." ive pinched a pedometer from work for you they happened to be giving them out"....He gets here 8th April so I'll give it a try....

• Upvote 1

Mine is OMRON HJ-321 frm Amazon, made in China so Lazada may have a similar one. Mine cost fifteen American dollars and is tri-axial which mean you can just put in your pocket and it will count steps what ever position your leg is in. Use the free one but if you are unhappy with it then purchase a better one. Keep the battery out of the free one.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

So here is a quick update.....

My son's free step counter was bollocks..

I went to Tucomm today and walked around all 5 floors then took the lift down and there on the ground floor opposite the lifts was what I was looking for.

They had a GPS GoLife 820i for 6,900 which tracks your route, distance, calories.

There were also Zewatches that tracked your steps in the same shop and on the 3rd or 4th floor they had Garmin watches that do the same thing but surprisingly not GPS tracking models..

I am very tempted by the GPS facility of the GoLife 820i...

Any suggestions / comments .????.....but please, any comments about price should relate to what is available to me here rather than in your home country (unless you are willing to buy and bring it over for me)