Jump to content
Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
Sign in to follow this  
helloitsme

Internet for 1 month

Recommended Posts

Apologies.... probably posted int he wrong section... but I need to pick your brains again...

I'm here for 4 weeks.

Just rented a condo on pattaya tai. So far so good, except....

The wifi is shit. Currently downloading at 3.7gb, and it seems to keep dying.

Now, I'd like to watch the cricket world cup, without having to resort to going to a bar to do so.

I have a dtac phone, with 5gb of internet, but when that runs out it's going to be dead slow. They say when my 5gb runs out I can put more on, obviously at extra cost, but not unlimited as I'd like.

I'm happy to use my phone as a hotspot, if the package will cope.

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, helloitsme said:

Apologies.... probably posted int he wrong section... but I need to pick your brains again...

I'm here for 4 weeks.

Just rented a condo on pattaya tai. So far so good, except....

The wifi is shit. Currently downloading at 3.7gb, and it seems to keep dying.

Now, I'd like to watch the cricket world cup, without having to resort to going to a bar to do so.

I have a dtac phone, with 5gb of internet, but when that runs out it's going to be dead slow. They say when my 5gb runs out I can put more on, obviously at extra cost, but not unlimited as I'd like.

I'm happy to use my phone as a hotspot, if the package will cope.

Any ideas?

I use AIS and am on the first of my two 30 day trips this year.  On arrival last week, I tapped into their "ON TOP PACKAGE:  MAO 650B unlimited net, speed 4Mbps for 30 days"  AIS has HEAPS of packages available so can only guess that DTAC has lots also.  Have you sifted through their website?

I use guest house wifi most of the time but when it starts dropping out, or getting too slow, I plug the mobile into the laptop and activate "USB Tethering" in the Settings and so run from my AIS package.  I have the laptop hooked up to the widescreen tv, if I want to view on there.

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

3.7 down should be plenty for a video stream, but then if it keeps dropping out......

 

I'd go with AIS too, seems to be the best deals and coverage.

Edited by Bob Belzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Barhop said:

I use AIS and am on the first of my two 30 day trips this year.  On arrival last week, I tapped into their "ON TOP PACKAGE:  MAO 650B unlimited net, speed 4Mbps for 30 days"  AIS has HEAPS of packages available so can only guess that DTAC has lots also.  Have you sifted through their website?

I use guest house wifi most of the time but when it starts dropping out, or getting too slow, I plug the mobile into the laptop and activate "USB Tethering" in the Settings and so run from my AIS package.  I have the laptop hooked up to the widescreen tv, if I want to view on there.

Hope this helps.

Dtac have various packages,  but all are limited data, then go very slow, but if they relieve you of more baht you can have another wodge of data. Their maximum, according to the kiosk at both swampy and big c is 20gb.

I'll locate an AIS store and make enquiries. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, helloitsme said:

I'll locate an AIS store and make enquiries. Thanks 

In case you don't know, AIS have moved from the Basement level of Central Festival to (I think) the 3rd floor where many other tech shops are located.

I'll be interested to know how you get on. The condo management where I am will, apparently, start charging for the communal wi-fi at some unspecified time in the future, so I, too, will be looking to tether my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bazle said:

In case you don't know, AIS have moved from the Basement level of Central Festival to (I think) the 3rd floor where many other tech shops are located. >SNIP<

 

That's correct, Google was still telling me they were in the basement a month or so ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have certainly used my AIS phone as a hotspot or to stream TV, but as you say it soon eats up your data allowance at full speed then it gets choked. 

I see little choice other than look for a Bolt-On package that gives a serious amount of fast data. 

Or get to that bar!

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a monthly plan but I ate up the data quickly. The one way to handle this (well as far as AIS goes) is that there are regular bolt on packages sent to my phone on almost a daily basis. I keep these and top up with what seems appropriate to my needs. all told in a month I spent an extra 100 baht using this method. 

As a side issue. During the month I downloaded the AIS app and then got it converted to English. There is a shit load of info on this app that I am just coming to grips with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update, fresh from the AIS shop, although the numbers may be slightly wrong as I've lost the leaflet.... duh!

Most data... 33gb, at 10mbps, then throttled, 1100b 

33gb data, 4mps, 699b?

20gb data, 4mps, 599b

They do not do an unlimited anymore on a one month program, but do if you sign up for a year.

Just to add to the dilemma,  the condo internet has been steady at 8mps all morning. I suppose everyone else is asleep!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an AIS package, but I'm not sure which.  When I bought the SIM card I gave the guy 1000 baht and he fixed it so that my phone would be active for about a year.  Mostly, I use wi-fi for data, so I'm not charged by AIS.  But when I am out and about and using the phone for data, after a short while I get a text message that I have used 10 baht of data, and that for 19 baht I can use data for the rest of the day.  500 mb, speed 512bps.  I guess that's not much data and is kind of slow, but maybe they have other plans that would give you more data at a faster speed on a pay as you go basis?  I'm sure they must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 12:49 AM, helloitsme said:

Update, fresh from the AIS shop, although the numbers may be slightly wrong as I've lost the leaflet.... duh!

Most data... 33gb, at 10mbps, then throttled, 1100b 

33gb data, 4mps, 699b?

20gb data, 4mps, 599b

They do not do an unlimited anymore on a one month program, but do if you sign up for a year.

Just to add to the dilemma,  the condo internet has been steady at 8mps all morning. I suppose everyone else is asleep!!

I have fiber at home but when we visit the country house (like now) I have to use an AIS phone as a hotspot.  At our usage level we run through their data cap in no time flat.  We use about 5G/day.  Up until last April their unlimited plans really were unlimited, now they're a joke.  I've checked Dtac and they're the same.

If I was going to sign up for a year I'd just go hardwired.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...