Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Airplane legroom about to get worse?

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/airlines-are-packing-in-more-passengers-than-ever-and-it-s-going-to-get-worse-1.1292727

"Cebu Air Inc., the Philippines’ biggest budget carrier, last month said it was moving kitchens and bathrooms on some of its new A330neos to cram in a record 460 seats, 20 more than the plane’s current maximum. It’s part of a broader push, particularly in Asia, to stuff more people into jets flying the most popular routes, according to aviation researcher Landrum & Brown....."

Cebu Air are an absolute shower of shit. They run a daily from NIAIA to BKK which leaves early in the morning, its only saving grace. They are struggling however, and it's not surprising.

That will probably affect farangs more than Asian people because of peoples size, so i guess Cebu are not too bothered.

Leg room in economy is garbage now, but seat padding is getting thinner which also means airlines can cram in more rows of seats. A short flight is tolerable with crappy economy class seats, but longhaul would be total misery on a full flight, yuck.

Edited by whitney
  • 1 month later...

BA and Lufthansa are having to leave the back rows of their new "densified " A320 neo's unsold because of safety concerns caused by uneven weight distribution. The planes are now basically too heavy at the back which could be dangerous under certain specific circumstances. Serves them right for joining the race to the bottom in my opinion.

2 hours ago, neilri2001 said:

BA and Lufthansa are having to leave the back rows of their new "densified " A320 neo's unsold because of safety concerns caused by uneven weight distribution. The planes are now basically too heavy at the back which could be dangerous under certain specific circumstances. Serves them right for joining the race to the bottom in my opinion.

They can probably get more passengers in them than the carriers that fly Boeing 737- Max aircraft.

I agree with your sentiment... so what happens, seats reconfigured and toilets or galley at the back? 

10 hours ago, jacko said:

I agree with your sentiment... so what happens, seats reconfigured and toilets or galley at the back? 

Apparently they are working on a software fix rather than re configuring the plane! The specific situation is apparently when the plane might need to climb very sharply and very quickly such as when aborting a landing. Personally i think that the legacy carriers should differentiate themselves from the low cost carriers rather than go head to head with them but apparently in steerage price is still the main driver for a majority of customers.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, jacko said:

They can probably get more passengers in them than the carriers that fly Boeing 737- Max aircraft.

I have memories of flying on a plane that had a staircase in economy going down into a toilet area.. Perhaps the past will be the future....!!

On 7/27/2019 at 4:27 PM, Gus said:

That will probably affect farangs more than Asian people because of peoples size, so i guess Cebu are not too bothered.

I feel very strongly that passengers and their baggage should be weighed as a complete "package" and be charged accordingly...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
7 hours ago, neilri2001 said:

Apparently they are working on a software fix rather than re configuring the plane! The specific situation is apparently when the plane might need to climb very sharply and very quickly such as when aborting a landing. Personally i think that the legacy carriers should differentiate themselves from the low cost carriers rather than go head to head with them but apparently in steerage price is still the main driver for a majority of customers.

Hummm, sounds like what Boeing tried to do with 737 Max.

5 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

I have memories of flying on a plane that had a staircase in economy going down into a toilet area.. Perhaps the past will be the future....!!

Lufthansa A340-600's were built with toilets below the main deck. Airbus offered it as an option.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 9/18/2019 at 3:10 PM, Bullfrog said:

I feel very strongly that passengers and their baggage should be weighed as a complete "package" and be charged accordingly...

I 100% agree with this. For guys like us who most probably travel light and don't weigh 140kg's then it would make flying cheaper, plus hopefully it would encourage people to lose weight as well, so win-win.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:09 PM, TheFiend said:

Lufthansa A340-600's were built with toilets below the main deck. Airbus offered it as an option.

Tristars had a selection of 6 (I think) at the rear, along with DC8's as well.Never had to queue for a dump.

7 hours ago, Butch said:

I 100% agree with this. For guys like us who most probably travel light and don't weigh 140kg's then it would make flying cheaper, plus hopefully it would encourage people to lose weight as well, so win-win.

I don't know how some get into those economy seats on the budget carriers. I saw some being interviewed in Majorca yesterday who are worried of being stranded there due to Thomas Cook problems. Hugely obese and a reminder why I live in Thailand... and of course everyone whining on how the government should rescue them if they get stranded. TC will struggle, who in earth is going to book with them now so cashflow gone. My sister is in Greece after a Jet2 flight... I wonder what the legroom is like on one of those. 

• Upvote 1

I think that Jet 2 are "premium" budget carriers. I recently flew out to Europe on a Thompson Jet which had zero IFE but loads of legroom, easily equivalent to that of EVA Econ, the seats however only reclined 2 inches.

One terrible flight I can recall was on an SAA 747 where they had crammed in the econ seats to the maximum, horrific flight with, even though I'm relatively short, my legs were cramped to hell. Never, ever, ever again.