Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Rant about food delivery

I realize it’s Chinese New Years, Tet, and the Korean New Year, whatever that’s called. Lots of people in town, partying. They all seem to be having a good time. Not a good day for food delivery, though.

I finally managed to get some food, after five restaurants answered back with “all our drivers are busy.”  

I’m not sure what they pay the Grab drivers, but maybe it isn’t enough. Surety there are people out there that wouldn’t Ind making some quick cash.

What am I missing?  Is there some other delivery service that can actually make deliveries?  If need be, at a premium price.  If I want food, I want food.  Charge me a 300 baht delivery fee, if that’s what it takes.

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, js007 said:

I realize it’s Chinese New Years, Tet, and the Korean New Year, whatever that’s called. Lots of people in town, partying. They all seem to be having a good time. Not a good day for food delivery, though.

I finally managed to get some food, after five restaurants answered back with “all our drivers are busy.”  

I’m not sure what they pay the Grab drivers, but maybe it isn’t enough. Surety there are people out there that wouldn’t Ind making some quick cash.

What am I missing?  Is there some other delivery service that can actually make deliveries?  If need be, at a premium price.  If I want food, I want food.  Charge me a 300 baht delivery fee, if that’s what it takes.

Just come into town via Bolt. Plenty of cars working and traffic not busy. One of my local restaurants is closed for the day but loads still open. Maybe easier to get out and pick up the food yourself.?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Why not venture out and eat in a restaurant or get takeaway with a moto taxi if you are that hungry LOL

Let’s just say I’ve had enough of the “local” restaurants.  They’re OK, but after a while, I want something different. 

As for taking a taxi?  I could do that. It just silly that I have trouble getting delivery.  I can think of places I’d like to eat, but they’re scattered all over the place. Too much trouble.

js, delivery started to get bad even before the tourists' arrived.  Had a comically bad time with an order from Robins Hood which has good food. I called the manager and he sent his own staff over within 20 minutes ,tipped the fellow 100 baht.  Called another order a couple weeks later and said i'll tip the driver 100 baht if we could skip Grab. The guy was very happy. I had the same arrangement with Chow Soy before they moved to the darkside. New York Pizza is also good as they have their own delivery guys. They message when leaving so you know when they will arrive.  Mcdonalds seems to be at the condo before i finish the order call.  I tend to cook about 10 days, made an excellent Goan Fish Curry tonight, but sometimes you just want the stuff handed to you.  Hope things improve but doubtful.  Moving to Khon Kaen later but no delivery, no Villa Market or Paleo Robbies and i don't eat Issan Thai.  We will see.

Here is my rant about food delivery,

Those guys on scooters delivering are FUCKING INSANE!!!!

End rant.  ?

• Like 1

I don't like delivery food..... a few times the Mrs has gone to get take out when so inclined. 

My neighbors seem to live off it.

I would still rather eat out,,, but I don't want to drive far, and even then, I like to have a couple of beers so she will have to do the drive home. Strange last night, I was expecting everywhere to be packed, so went out early...and as I drove past one large place it absolutely was... but went to another member of the same chain over the road and it never got busy. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, today I’m up to nine restaurants that couldn’t find a driver.  I’ve been trying to order food since 1pm. Maybe they should start paying the delivery guys more money.

edit: I finally gave up and had a salad thing I had in the refrigerator.

I was about at the point of hiring a limo to deliver my food. If I could hire a taxi to Bangkok for 1500 baht, how many could it possibly cost for a 20 minute food delivery?  500 baht? I’d pay it.

Edited by js007
  • 5 months later...
On 2/15/2023 at 5:48 PM, js007 said:

Well, today I’m up to nine restaurants that couldn’t find a driver.  I’ve been trying to order food since 1pm. Maybe they should start paying the delivery guys more money.

I was having issues with Grab around this time as well. I talked to Frosty about it and he suggested it is because I chose to pay by cash, because he had issues getting drivers  until he got his girl to order and use her credit card.

Lately, I have not had any issues with Grab. I suspect this is the result of low season.

I only order locally from Thai places that know me and I slip them 20 Baht even if they will do it for free..

Farang food is a completely different matter. I tend to get munchies late at night whilst watching the late footie matches on the telly. In which case I keep my freezer well stocked with food from https://expatfoodsthailand.com/shop/ .. Wang the food in the wave and your ready to eat..

Alternatively, I see nothing wrong with ordering a 7/11 delivery of cheese toasties that @forcebwithusuggested ....seriously!!!

EDIT = I must send out a special comment about Mr Egg. The man came over Sukhumvit on his little leccy bike to deliver me fish and chips during lockdown when it was pissing down with rain.. I gave the girls a large tip (ooooh matron!). I have so much respect for the man for getting out and working whilst others were bleating and whining !!!

Edited by Bullfrog
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hahahaha!!!

Karma has responded to my pompous' ass post above!!

Last night was my friend's daughter's 2nd Birthday. Last night everybody was busy working on a late work order they received, so I stepped up and ordered a KFC delivery for everybody!

It took well over an hour to get here and everything was fucking cold!!

Birthday girl started to get cranky waiting so long but still enjoyed it .. but that isn't the point of this thread really is it !!!

• 1 month later...

I have not stayed in my Jomtien condo for a year or so. My wife was very seldom with me. While at the condo, I always used Panda food delivery and was never disappointed. I found their service excellent. I think their drivers are likely poorly paid so I always gave them a fairly generous tip, nothing too generous but usually around a hundred baht. Food delivery is not a very good job and also dangerous so I don't mind tipping. Maybe in the past year the service has deteriorated, I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2