Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Why Use a Pre arrainged taxi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly pre-book and sometimes go upstairs if I am just going to Bkk. It's habit now, but when I first started coming to Thailand, used to get in at 1 AM and you weren't really sure what to expect as far as taxi's at Don Muang.

I told this story before, but being a newbie, back in the year 2000 or so. Back then, there were stories of falangs being taken for a cab ride and coming back with a body part or two missing (true?, I don't know, but got my attention back then) I had no taxi reservation, so I picked a driver in the arrival hall at 1 AM after a 20 hours of flights, who said, sure, I will take you directly to Pattaya. After a minute in the cab, he pulled the old, I just have to stop for gas routine on the lower deserted road and then after that, the excuse me, we have to stop at this dark, deserted, off the road hotel to check in with office. Sounds like fun, doesn't it, especially for a newbie that didn't know shit at the time!

Great, I wait in the taxi wondering what to expect, a newbie mistake! Out come 3 guys, one or two big ones and I'm thinking, shit I've had it now!. So I get out of the taxi, heart going a just little fast, then puff up my chest like a chicken. It must have worked, because they switched my bags to another car and one of the big guys took me to Pattaya! Always puff up your chest!! :D

My flights now get in at 5 PM, so safer, but I have always remembered that incident and that's why I pre-book. I want some service that I can trust after a long flight. You definitly don't want to put yourself in a position like the one I described, do you?????? I'll save the drama for the BG's.

I pre-book to get a girl picked up in Bangkok, pick me up at the airport, and drive us to Pattaya. It's more convenient and costs the same as a meter taxi from Bangkok to the airport and another one from the airport to Pattaya.

I mostly pre-book and sometimes go upstairs if I am just going to Bkk. It's habit now, but when I first started coming to Thailand, used to get in at 1 AM and you weren't really sure what to expect as far as taxi's at Don Muang.

I told this story before, but being a newbie, back in the year 2000 or so. Back then, there were stories of falangs being taken for a cab ride and coming back with a body part or two missing (true?, I don't know, but got my attention back then) I had no taxi reservation, so I picked a driver in the arrival hall at 1 AM after a 20 hours of flights, who said, sure, I will take you directly to Pattaya. After a minute in the cab, he pulled the old, I just have to stop for gas routine on the lower deserted road and then after that, the excuse me, we have to stop at this dark, deserted, off the road hotel to check in with office. Sounds like fun, doesn't it, especially for a newbie that didn't know shit at the time!

Great, I wait in the taxi wondering what to expect, a newbie mistake! Out come 3 guys, one or two big ones and I'm thinking, shit I've had it now!. So I get out of the taxi, heart going a just little fast, then puff up my chest like a chicken. It must have worked, because they switched my bags to another car and one of the big guys took me to Pattaya! Always puff up your chest!! :D

My flights now get in at 5 PM, so safer, but I have always remembered that incident and that's why I pre-book. I want some service that I can trust after a long flight. You definitly don't want to put yourself in a position like the one I described, do you?????? I'll save the drama for the BG's.

Player:

Why not just go to the stand and have them turn the meter on? Completely traceable...

This topic just keeps on reappearing in one form or another

The answer now seems clear

If youre brand new, cant speak a word of Thai, dont know where you are going or what you are doing....then mucho hand holding is in order....so pre book

All others just get the Taximeter from the stand.

Sheesh

This topic just keeps on reappearing in one form or another

The answer now seems clear

Not quite crystal clear. I have seen the taxi stand at Swampy Poon when it was a horror to behold. Not every time, not at all times of the day, but sometimes. The only way to avoid queues totally is to pre-book.

Besides, my company reimburses me for ground transport in Thailand, why wouldn't I pre-book if it guarantees me a better car and no waiting in line, whether five minutes or 65 minutes?

Evil

:banghead

HI EMIL,VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR RECCOMANDATION FOR THE PICK UP AT THE AIRPORT NICE DRIVER NICE VOLVO I'LL BE USING THEM AGAIN SPECIALLY NOW THAT AE CHARGE FOR TRAVELERS CHECK E WILL CARRY CASH.I HAVE BEEN THRU TO CHANGING TAXI ROUTINE AND I WAS WITH ANOTHER GUY BUT STILL VERY UNCONFORTABLE.I'M PLANNING ON GOING BACK TOWARD END OF APRIL AND I WOULD LIKE TO BUY YOU A DRINK.cIAO

I can't see the point of using Taxi even if your new:

Air con Bus is the best way to travel, at 150bht to your hotel;

Only problem is last one leaves at 18:00;

I have met some intresting people traveling on bus to Patt's

You don't have any of them Kamikaze drivers frightening the shit out of you:

Below is e'mail i recived from them:-

Dear P W,

Thank you for booking with us.

It is confirmed that your 1 seat will be reserved on 14:00 bus from Suvarnabhumi airport to XXXXXXXX on March 14th.

The fare is 150 baht/person and it includes company's transportation to your hotel. May I have your hotel's phone number in case our driver does not know the place.

At Suvarnabhumi airport, our staff will be waiting for you on Level 1, Gate#7 next to Tourist Police counter, holding a small sign of "Pattaya - Bell Travel Service". Then she will lead you to the bus which is parked right outside the terminal. Her contact number is +66(0)89-449-8843.

!!! Important !!! At the airport, please make sure to look for our staff with "Bell Travel Service" sign because there are many "Pattaya" signs that are not ours. Many of our passengers followed them and they were dropped off by the street in Pattaya.

Our company also provides the transportation from Pattaya to Bangkok.

The bus schedule from Pattaya is 6:00/9:00/11:00/13:00/15:00/17:00/19:00. Your destination can be either to Suvarnabhumi airport, Don Muang airport or hotels in Bangkok. However, there are only 3 departure times that have connecting transportation to hotels in Bangkok i.e. 9:00, 13:00 and 17:00.

The fare to Suvarnabhumi is 150 baht/person, to Don Muang airport is 350 baht/person and to hotels in Bangkok is 300 baht/person. These fares include pick-up and drop-off services from your hotel to your destination in both cities.

Thank you and best regards,

Ms Sirisong Haewan

Bell Travel Service Co.,Ltd

Tel. Bangkok Office: 02-747-4673, 02-747-4675

Tel. Pattaya Office: 038-370-055, 038-370-056

Suvarnabhumi airport:

Contact number is +66(0)89-449-8843

rrc_bus@hotmail.

SO LADS BE ADVENTUROUS AND TAKE THE BUS: That 1000bht you save gets a lot of drink in once your in Patts;

:clap2

I'M PLANNING ON GOING BACK TOWARD END OF APRIL AND I WOULD LIKE TO BUY YOU A DRINK.cIAO

I'm glad you were satisfied with the car service and thanks for the drink offer. It looks like you will be arriving shortly after I depart on the 18th of April. Just a warning on the service, they are a travel service and have a number of different drivers so the next time you'll probably have a different driver.

I can't see the point of using Taxi even if your new:

A lot of American flights arrive well past 11PM and depart before 7AM. That's a pretty compelling point for using a taxi.

A lot of American flights arrive well past 11PM and depart before 7AM. That's a pretty compelling point for using a taxi.

Not forgetting that flights may be delayed and you may then miss the bus on which you have been booked and be unable to get a seat on a later one or have a very long wait.

Alan

There is a bit going on at Suvarnabhumi at the moment with the official taxis coming under the control of AOT and issues related to that. There was also a large protest by the official taxi drivers a couple of nights ago about the activities of the "black" taxis at the airport. Running the gauntlet of a couple of hundred mad Bangkok taxi drivers probably isn't the ideal start to anyone's holday.

There is a bit going on at Suvarnabhumi at the moment with the official taxis coming under the control of AOT and issues related to that. There was also a large protest by the official taxi drivers a couple of nights ago about the activities of the "black" taxis at the airport. Running the gauntlet of a couple of hundred mad Bangkok taxi drivers probably isn't the ideal start to anyone's holday.

Tom if the official taxi drivers are upset about the competition from the black taxis just think how happy they will be when the skytrain line connecting to Bangkok opens. Is it still on schedule to open at the end of this year?

Well I like to pre book as it passes time when im at home

its part of the excitment before i set off

Well the deed done again Mr Toon ,took him less than 1 day to get back to Me to confirm booking

and he always call me Mr Boss :D

13 days hope to see my name on the board in arrival hall then off i go :bigsmile:

I have always had a great service on the last 8 trips so why change a good thing :D

Tom if the official taxi drivers are upset about the competition from the black taxis just think how happy they will be when the skytrain line connecting to Bangkok opens. Is it still on schedule to open at the end of this year?

Emil,

The last I heard the timeline was for trials to start at the end of this year with services starting next year. That could just be the line across the river though. I must take a look at the maps for the new routes as I've seen two huge stations being built (one at the bottom end of Sukhumvit Soi 24 and one up by Pratunam) but I haven't got a clue where the lines go to from those places.

Are you in Pattaya at the moment? If so, for how long?

Emil,

The last I heard the timeline was for trials to start at the end of this year with services starting next year. That could just be the line across the river though. I must take a look at the maps for the new routes as I've seen two huge stations being built (one at the bottom end of Sukhumvit Soi 24 and one up by Pratunam) but I haven't got a clue where the lines go to from those places.

Are you in Pattaya at the moment? If so, for how long?

They are also extending the line from Oh Nut along Sukhumvit towards the elevated toll road.

I'm home in California and just finished calculating my taxes and writing the Feds and the state of California big checks. :D However wheels up in 64 hours and will be in Pattaya till the 18th of Apr. It will be my first time in Pattaya during Songkran. I'll be packing heat as I plan to go to Carrefour and buy a couple of Calahan magnum 44's water pistols. I'll put them in the freezer prior to going out for my afternoon walk and if any BG gets me wet I'll be aiming for their chest and they will "Make my day" :D

I just realized that I hadn't arranged for my pickup at the airport while reading this thread about 30 minutes ago and had to fire of an email. I came close to using the airport taxi service.

They are also extending the line from Oh Nut along Sukhumvit towards the elevated toll road.

I'm home in California and just finished calculating my taxes and writing the Feds and the state of California big checks. :allright However wheels up in 64 hours and will be in Pattaya till the 18th of Apr. It will be my first time in Pattaya during Songkran. I'll be packing heat as I plan to go to Carrefour and buy a couple of Calahan magnum 44's water pistols. I'll put them in the freezer prior to going out for my afternoon walk and if any BG gets me wet I'll be aiming for their chest and they will "Make my day" :allright

I just realized that I hadn't arranged for my pickup at the airport while reading this thread about 30 minutes ago and had to fire of an email. I came close to using the airport taxi service.

Emil,

I'll be in Pattaya next weekend for a few days (split between Soi 3 and Thappraya Rd) ........... got a photoshoot to do at the SkyTop Grande. PM me your cellphone number and I'll hook up for some nosh with you ................ :allright

When I went to Don Muang in November, I could see what looked like the extension of the Sky Train to the new airport. From what I could see, there is still quite a lot of work to be done.

Now, if they would just extend the line to Pattaya ........

Alan

got a photoshoot to do at the SkyTop Grande.

I think you should incorporate the photoshoot of the SkyTop Resort with one of Hammer's bar crawls. That way a large group could stop for a beer compliments of BigD. :unsure:

same from melbourne Aust, direct flights with thai arive either around 6am or 11pm arival in Bkk

I think you should incorporate the photoshoot of the SkyTop Resort with one of Hammer's bar crawls. That way a large group could stop for a beer compliments of BigD. :sosad

Sounds like a good plan to me. The more guys that take a look at a quality guest house especially one at the $14USD per night price point........... :ang2 I'd suggest calling Pete before hand and let him know your coming as I'd like to point out the deal is you have to go through Pete to get the FREE beer and you have to take a tour of Sky-Top. His phone number 087-1501905 www.sktopcenterpattaya.com

BTW the FREE beer offer ends April 30, 2008.

Edited by BigDUSA

OK, now that the writer's strike is over, can we move on to something with substance or will this thread just go on to infinity? Or did i just fan the flames... :ang2

Does every thread have to come around the fucking Skytop????????????????????????? :sosad

Edited by Sailfast

[quote name='Sailfast' date='Mar 8 2008, 10:48 AM' post='547688'

Does every thread have to come around the fucking Skytop????????????????????????? :bigsmile:

Some guys on this forum are just fixated with Sky-top and can't stop talking about it.

I like to book so i know that I have a safe driver (I emphasise this when i book).

Getting a metered taxi is fine as long as the driver is ok.

The 3 times I have been to pats I have used Lost In Space service twice with his wife Jan,

good driver, good service. Third time used Proper Limiosines (only because Jan was unavailable due to baby) also good.

I have used "limosines" and metered taxi's from Patong airport that I took when I got there & some

were so scary to ride with that i have ordered them to stop so I could get out.

Why do some guys keep inferring that you have to negotiate the price with a public taxi from the Airport? The price is laid down as 1,200 Baht plus 50 Baht Airport fee plus tolls. There is absolutely no requirement to haggle with anyone. :finger

Maybe the public taxi desk is quoting different rates to get to Pattaya to some people.

During my last few trips I have noticed that they are quoting a fixed rate for travel to Bangkok. I know better so I just say meter + toll + airport surcharge. A Korean couple in front of me were quoted around 400 baht to go to Sukhumvit which should only be around 300 baht even with tolls and airport surcharge.