Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

thai license needed to ride motorcycle in patts?

In Oneday's recent and excellent trip report, he mentioned that a new law requires a Thai driving license when riding a motorcycle in Pattaya. Apparently an international permit and farang country's license is ok on the highways but not in town. Is this true? Or is it another law that will be universally ignored, like prostitution. I want to try a motorbike on my next visit, but it seems a major hassle to get a Thai license. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't worry about it. You're unlikely to ever have to produce a license, and if you can't it's probably a small fine (200-400 baht). It's certainly not worth it to try to get a Thai license for a short trip, even if you could meet the residency requirements.

That's my take on it, not a legal opinion.

I wouldn't worry about it. You're unlikely to ever have to produce a license, and if you can't it's probably a small fine (200-400 baht).

Fines for not having a Thai license are apparently a routine money-maker for the BiB according to other posts. A common piece of advice in those posts is to basically avoid making a big deal of it if you are stopped. Don't try to argue legalities and instead just try some laid-back negotiation to try to pay your fine there or "have it delivered" (the cop may have you give the fine to a motor taxi or some random guy there so you don't give the cop the cash directly). Some posters say it helped when their TG handled the negotiation with the cop (as low as 100B, but often more).

-Smelly

I believe the official line would be that a International driving permit would allow you to drive a bike for the duration of 1 year. It is available from uk main post offices for 5quid and you need to supply a photo and your full uk licence.

Although the post office issue it, it is sponsored somewhat by the AA.

On the web site they have a list of all the countries that it is valid in.

To obtain a thai licence you would first need a Non-tourist visa such as an "non-im O" and a letter showing your condo contract. This would allow you to get a certificate of residency from immigration office. Armed with this and you international driving permit, you can apply for your thai licence at the chonburi driving centre. The international driving permit will allow you to bypass any written exam and driving exam although you still need to do eye test and distance test etc.

The cost is about 1000baht for a car licence and seperate bike licence. The first issue will be for 1 year and when you renew it will be for 5 years.

Personally it has been a total godsend as it acts as a "thai ID card" somewhat and as soon as you show it(spot check etc) to the BIB they have always just let me go. It also lets you pay thai prices at national parks such as samet etc. My opinion is that it is very worthwhile getting it if you can!

I am a little surprised by the explanation above by the OP (I know, take it up with the Trip report OP).....

Firstly, I did not know they were now making new laws that only applied to Pattaya.... especially one that doesn't make sense as tourists effectively would not be permitted to rent bikes in a tourist town???

I did know that the standard rental agreement restricted the bikes to the Pattaya area.

Does it matter anyhow, policing is sparse at best, driven only as a way to collect money rather than prevent traffic violations? The typical 'traps' are on Beach Rd near the police station.....and the 2nd Rd/Klang junction. Not wearing a helmet and stopping at lights past the line are reasons to be talked to. Sometimes road blocks on Sukhumvit between Tai and Nua...... particularly where it creates the most delay.

An international licence or any national licence is legal for tourists/visitors to drive regular vehicles -- cars, pick-ups and motorcycles included.

That is no guarantee of what Somchai Peeler might tell you, however. That is a matter between him and you.

I don't drive a motorbike but from what I've observed the laws, if there are any, are very rarely enforced. When I use to live near the school on Soi Arunotai I would often see up to 5 school kids on a motorbike without a helmet. Probably 3 laws broken. I also get a kick when I see Thai policemen driving on motorbikes on Pattayaklang without wearing a helmet. With the exception of the highways I've never noticed any posted speed limits.

Edited by Emil
An international licence or any national licence is legal for tourists/visitors to drive regular vehicles -- cars, pick-ups and motorcycles included.

That is no guarantee of what Somchai Peeler might tell you, however. That is a matter between him and you.

An international licence has no validity unless accompanied by the original home country licence.

The second sentence is the reality, they will tell you whatever if they feel so inclined.

Edited by jacko

While an International Driving Permit is valid for 1 year you may not drive in Thailand for more than 3 months without obtaining a Thai license even if you have a valid IDP. How the police would find out if you have exceeded this 3 month limit I do not know.

stevoh.

A big advantage of the IDP (the UK version anyway) is that it's a cardboard folder, ideal for holding a few hundred Baht in.

Hand to BiB,

Look away, :bigsmile:

Get IDP back from smiling BiB. :bigsmile:

If only that worked in the UK. :bigsmile:

While an International Driving Permit is valid for 1 year you may not drive in Thailand for more than 3 months without obtaining a Thai license even if you have a valid IDP. How the police would find out if you have exceeded this 3 month limit I do not know.

If you are careful about following the law as you describe, then it is a piece of cake for the lawman to know how long you have been in Thailand from the passport you carry because you are a scrupulous law-obeyer.

An international licence has no validity unless accompanied by the original home country licence.

Actually not. You need a national licence to OBTAIN an international licence. But when politely interrogated by the Thai police, the visitor/tourist requires only the international licence OR the national one and not both.

If the session escalates, you'll need more than two driving licences anyhow. In fact, if it escalates that badly, you won't need any, there will be much more at stake.

Legend has it that an international licence is the best, because it's legal AND most police have almost no knowledge about it, and so will let you go rather than try to engage you about it. Legend has it.

Edited by joekicker

Another advantage of having the IDP's as well, in most cases where the police will tell you they are going to hold your bike until your ticket is payed, they will actually just take your IDP and tell you that it can be returned at the police station upon paying the ticket, allowing you to drive on your way. While I am sure this is not always the case, in my experiences, having the IDP is worth the money.

Also, another trick that they will often use, and do not do this to avoid the hassle. If you are riding and have your helmet on, and your lady does not have hers, and you get pulled over, do not sign the ticket. Let her sign the ticket. The result, if you and your bike are both being detained, then your lady can freely go to the police station to pay the ticket, while you wait with the bike. IF you sign the ticket, she will be forced to return to take you to pay and sign for the receipt, thus allowing for the falang ticket rate to be incurred. So, if you are not the one who caused the infraction, then don't sign anything. With rental companies, this can result in a sumly fee to retrieve the bike from impound, something I am sure nobody wants.

• 4 weeks later...
Actually not. You need a national licence to OBTAIN an international licence. But when politely interrogated by the Thai police, the visitor/tourist requires only the international licence OR the national one and not both.

If the session escalates, you'll need more than two driving licences anyhow. In fact, if it escalates that badly, you won't need any, there will be much more at stake.

Legend has it that an international licence is the best, because it's legal AND most police have almost no knowledge about it, and so will let you go rather than try to engage you about it. Legend has it.

Actually yes as far as this issuer or a rental agency is concerned

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

What the police probably requires is for it to be accompanied by a picture of royalty.

Another advantage of having the IDP's as well, in most cases where the police will tell you they are going to hold your bike until your ticket is payed, they will actually just take your IDP and tell you that it can be returned at the police station upon paying the ticket, allowing you to drive on your way. While I am sure this is not always the case, in my experiences, having the IDP is worth the money.

Also, another trick that they will often use, and do not do this to avoid the hassle. If you are riding and have your helmet on, and your lady does not have hers, and you get pulled over, do not sign the ticket. Let her sign the ticket. The result, if you and your bike are both being detained, then your lady can freely go to the police station to pay the ticket, while you wait with the bike. IF you sign the ticket, she will be forced to return to take you to pay and sign for the receipt, thus allowing for the falang ticket rate to be incurred. So, if you are not the one who caused the infraction, then don't sign anything. With rental companies, this can result in a sumly fee to retrieve the bike from impound, something I am sure nobody wants.

Interesting. In California, if i am the vehicle operator, I am responsible to make sure helmets are worn and seat belts are buckled. I will get a ticket as well as those not in compliance.

I would be more concerned by "any' insurance being obviously totally invalid without an appropriate license.

Plod no doubt can be bribed "away" but what if your actions on an uninsured bike, total a Merc !!

I would be more concerned by "any' insurance being obviously totally invalid without an appropriate license.

Plod no doubt can be bribed "away" but what if your actions on an uninsured bike, total a Merc !!

This is a good point.

Two years ago, a young English lad, had a motorcycle accident in Vietnam. He was badly injured. His father applied to have him flown home by the Travel insurance company, but they refused to honour the claim, because the lad did not have a full UK motorcycle license. One of these small print things that they don't mention when taking your premium.

Luckily the father had a contact in VN and a few bob to pay for his sons repatriation. It still cost thousands of pounds.

He was so enraged with the insurance company, he contacted Sky News and was interviewed to warn others about insurance exemptions for claiming.

Read all of your terms and conditions for your travel insurance. It is time well spent- BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME !

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't worry about a driver's license. What you NEED is a very good health and accident insurance policy. You also need a pile of money available if you have an accident because it will likely be your fault.

There's no law that short-term visitors have to have a Thai licence. There's no law they have to have an international licence. There is a law that visitors have to have a valid driver's licence from somewhere. Overall, the issue of your licence isn't important in the Grand Scheme of Things. You won't be stopped for a check. If you're stopped for something else, the matter of your licence will be of secondary consideration or a lot less. Not having a licence AT ALL is not a biggie.

Police might stop you, and might tell you different. You may feel inclined to help them out with the cost of a couple of LD, to make them go away and stop bothering you. Or you might want to spend the next two, three years fighting over it and winning because you used your home-country licence to drive, which is perfectly legal. Up to you.

Was driving a hire car towards Sukhothai and got stopped at a road block. Was asked for my "drivers ID" so showed them my UK Photocard Driving License which they were more than happy with and allowed to continue my journey. Did have an IDP with me, but it was about a week out of date.

Think they were trying to catch drink drivers as it was a Buddha holiday.

Couple of hours earlier had been chatting with one of the other halfs uncles, who was more than just a little bit pissed at 08:00.... he is a copper!!!

Was driving a hire car towards Sukhothai and got stopped at a road block. Was asked for my "drivers ID" so showed them my UK Photocard Driving License which they were more than happy with and allowed to continue my journey. Did have an IDP with me, but it was about a week out of date.

Think they were trying to catch drink drivers as it was a Buddha holiday.

Couple of hours earlier had been chatting with one of the other halfs uncles, who was more than just a little bit pissed at 08:00.... he is a copper!!!

The police seem much 'nicer' out in the sticks up north.

You get stopped, they check licences, but non of the blatant aggro or squeeze for a donation to the tea fund.

Quite refreshing after Pattaya I find. :rolleyes:

Edited by jacko