Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Would you guys consider living in Pattaya permanently?

Well, Hi all you guys,

From what i read so far I gather that most of you are "Farang" that ome to visit Pattaya and enjoy the time spent here, and perhaps come back a few or more than a few more times. But would you ever consider living here on a permanent basis. Kinda retire in Pattaya???? ( although a lot of you may not consider yourselves as getting close to retirement age for at least a good few years at least!!! :rolleyes:

Affinity One

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Hi all you guys,

From what i read so far I gather that most of you are "Farang" that ome to visit Pattaya and enjoy the time spent here, and perhaps come back a few or more than a few more times. But would you ever consider living here on a permanent basis. Kinda retire in Pattaya???? ( although a lot of you may not consider yourselves as getting close to retirement age for at least a good few years at least!!! :rolleyes:

Affinity One

Been retired from the age of 50 here and still not bored after 6 years.One day i might leave but got too many good friends here

Yes, most definately, I shall be retiring soon, and have a place in Roi Et and a place just outside Pattaya to spend my last years in. Some time to relax and start painting again, and a few days a week enjoying grubby entertainment. Swimming everyday, get through the books I never got round to reading, and finish my book, which never finished writing. Loads to do, in the sunshine, and some time alone too, when mrs P is with the family. Will be good for the kids to come down to Pattaya for the weekend once a month.

It will be a diffwerent routine, and anyone coming to live should avoid boozing every day of the year, I dont do it here, so no need elswhere.

Been there, done that, no desire to do it again. Horses for courses, but after 6 years of living in Pattaya it is not somewhere i will live again, too much of a village mentality for me, and the bitchiness and backstabbing and general bullshit that goes on between farangs is unlike anywhere i have ever come across in the world, will be Bangkok for me, a place that ain't everyones cup of tea, but a city i love and where i had the best 3 1/2 years of my life and somewhere you can choose to be annonymous if you so desire.

Take the availability of cheap women out of Pattaya and it doesn't really have a lot to offer in terms of somewhere to live compared to other places in and outside of Thailand, however as a mongering destination it probably still ranks top and i'd recommend it to any blokes just wanting to get their rocks off for a few weeks holiday, but not as somewhere to live.

Been here for 2 years, and still not wanting to leave.

I am still young tho (mid 30s) and might go back to the states for a couple years before coming back here.. but I have no doubt I will be here for most of the rest of my life, and no regrets on the radar :)

Frosty

I live a little out of town and have been retired in Thailand for nearly 6 years.

I travelled around Thailand for a year and ultimately decided on the Pattaya area. I didn't want to feel so Isolated from my Farang origins, language and everyday comforts, it's also nice to live near the sea.

Later I moved out of town a little as the constant noise and hustle bustle didn't suit me.

Permanent, well never say for-ever eh?

I've lived down south now for 3 years and each time the thought of moving crosses my mind it doesn't take long to conclude that the grass isn't likely to be much greener anywhere else that I'd consider moving to. I actually enjoy the fact that I'm not surrounded by thousands of other farangs and don't find the language, or at least my lack of language skills, to be too much of a hardship, nor do I find the food, bureaucracy, services etc to be much of a hassle (or at least not to the extent that I'd get wound up about it for very long).

If I need a break, there are a whole host of places to visit within a two hour drive of my house. I also have one airport 30 mins drive away with flights to BKK, SIN and Phuket and another a further hour away with flights to KL and Air Asia's main hub. Throw in the main railway line and main north-south road are less than 30 mins away and 3 border crossing points with duty free facilities around a 90 minutes drive away and I think that you'd be hard pushed to find an overall better location anywhere is LOS. As for the girls, we haven't got the quantity that Pattaya has but the variety and average quality of the girls is way better IMHO. At the same time we don't seem to have the grief with various scams/attitudes/rip-offs that go with the girls/bars and are often reported on the likes of this forum.

I've probably lived in Thailand longest of anyone here, but I can't imagine living in Pattaya. I love the sleaze - for a short time. Plus, it really is primarily a white ghetto and it's very, very difficult NOT to live in that ghetto. Not very many Thais live in Pattaya, or want to. I'm with them. I can't imagine I'll die anywhere but Thailand despite some lengthy absences the past few years, but I'll only die in Pattaya totally by chance during a short visit, not by choice in my residence.

I've been living in Pattaya ten years now and love it. You have many of the western amenities that most of us expect and enjoy as well as most of the advantages of living in Thailand. I think that deciding to retire and live in Pattaya was one of my better decisions for sure.

You have many of the western amenities that most of us expect and enjoy as well as most of the advantages of living in Thailand.

You can get many of the western amenities in just about any of the larger provincial cities. Even Tesco hypermarkets are to be found everywhere from Had Yai to Chiang Mai and Nong Khai.

You can get many of the western amenities in just about any of the larger provincial cities. Even Tesco hypermarkets are to be found everywhere from Had Yai to Chiang Mai and Nong Khai.
Well it isn't just a Tesco Tom... we got a Macro too!

And the Tesco stocks shoes beyond size 42!

I have the expats club which is a wealth of support and knowledge...

English pubs if I need to......

English friends around with similar lifestyles.

A few very good international schools for those that have kids.

Immigration and vehicle registration services on the doorstep.

A motorway nearby.....

Great nightlife and restaurants abound.

And lots of tarts...

An airport just 1.5 hours away that goes to everywhere...

Great medical facilities nearby and superior Bangkok ones not too far away.

Wonderful tourist police to help us when we have problems..... and assistants who speak our language. :D

I most certainly wouldn't want to live in a condo on 3rd Rd using public transport.....

And the idea of living in big city like Bangkok or Nakhon Ratchasima repulses me...

But the place is changing and heading in a direction that likely will force me to move on... I do hope my house increases in value in the meantime. :puke

Edited by jacko
I've probably lived in Thailand longest of anyone here, but I can't imagine living in Pattaya. I love the sleaze - for a short time. Plus, it really is primarily a white ghetto and it's very, very difficult NOT to live in that ghetto. Not very many Thais live in Pattaya, or want to. I'm with them. I can't imagine I'll die anywhere but Thailand despite some lengthy absences the past few years, but I'll only die in Pattaya totally by chance during a short visit, not by choice in my residence.

So how many ghettos have you lived in joe? im assuming a man of your vast knowledge knows thats its a name the italiens invented to describe a place were they kept their jewish population in slums not nice huh? a bit like the places us white people keep your muslim brothers in.

So how many ghettos have you lived in joe? im assuming a man of your vast knowledge knows thats its a name the italiens invented to describe a place were they kept their jewish population in slums not nice huh? a bit like the places us white people keep your muslim brothers in.
I am of the impression that in the UK, the Muslim ghettos were not created by others as places to keep them in, rather they created them and desire to keep the others out! :D

In answer to the OP I would not wish to live in Pattay permanently.I would however not mind staying 4-5 months a year and still live in the UK for the rest of the time.Might not suit everyone but I think it would suit me.

In answer to the OP I would not wish to live in Pattay permanently.I would however not mind staying 4-5 months a year and still live in the UK for the rest of the time.Might not suit everyone but I think it would suit me.
Perhaps it would be better just to return to the UK for the summer..... what day will it be this year?
So how many ghettos have you lived in joe? im assuming a man of your vast knowledge knows thats its a name the italiens invented to describe a place were they kept their jewish population in slums not nice huh?

I really apologise. I was under the assumption that everyone reading this forum was familiar with 21st century English, including the part that language evolves. My bad. These days, seeker, a "ghetto" isn't in Italy necessarily. It is somewhere, anywhere in the world, that "like" people choose to live in order to be other "like" people. The only perjorative of the word is that a ghetto these days is an "exclusive" place where outsiders aren't wanted. I hope this helps.

a bit like the places us white people keep your muslim brothers in.

Now I'm on jacko's side again.

Bet you can't name one such place.

The first time i came to Thailand,we booked a hotel in Bangkok for 3 weeks.After 3 days we wanted to get the hell out as we both got headaches and sore throats,scam artists everywhere,flooding,snobbery,bloody teachers in some bars,who realy thought they were the elite of farangs.I could go on and on,especialy some of the horrible thai women,who live there,who make Ladies from Pattaya(not bg) lovely angels.

Met a guy singing in a bar,who suggested we pack our bags,get out the shithole and head for Pattaya.The rest is history,retired 2 months later and headed for a new life in Asia(on my own,as mate got raided by the cops).No regrets and would be still working now,if it wasnt for that guy advising us where to go.

Been back to Bangkok quite a few times to see if i could make this a nice holiday destination,but realy hate the place,and hate many of the farangs there,hate the pollution and hate the racism thats always in the background there.

The first time i came to Thailand,we booked a hotel in Bangkok for 3 weeks.After 3 days we wanted to get the hell out as we both got headaches and sore throats,scam artists everywhere,flooding,snobbery,bloody teachers in some bars,who realy thought they were the elite of farangs.I could go on and on,especialy some of the horrible thai women,who live there,who make Ladies from Pattaya(not bg) lovely angels.

Met a guy singing in a bar,who suggested we pack our bags,get out the shithole and head for Pattaya.The rest is history,retired 2 months later and headed for a new life in Asia(on my own,as mate got raided by the cops).No regrets and would be still working now,if it wasnt for that guy advising us where to go.

Been back to Bangkok quite a few times to see if i could make this a nice holiday destination,but realy hate the place,and hate many of the farangs there,hate the pollution and hate the racism thats always in the background there.

I am with you. I hate Bangkok. I don't even like visiting Bangkok. I dead it. I enjoy Pattaya for a day trip. But I will always make my home in and around Chonburi City / Bangsaen area.