Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

BF from Walking street Go Go probably broke my safety box and steals TB 100000 + + a couple of days back

I'm really sceptical of the girl being the thief here, breaking noisily into your box like that. IF she was involved, I bet she was a setup, and someone else did the box when you were out. (Doesn't explain the noise you heard, but it explains everything else including her behaviour -- although you noticed that behaviour AFTER discovering the missing dough, eh?) But her staying with you argues against her being the setup, too. Also, if the cops have talked to her, and she still denies it, very heavy chance she didn't do it. They're ever so good at, um, getting to the bottom of a case quickly.

So far as the bar and your personal relations, no one is going to defend a thief. The problem is, you don't know if she is. Watch your mouth, just say you don't KNOW what's happening and you're assisting police with their enquiries, everything will be cool.

The onliest thing that's got me super-nosy is why you'd stay with this girl again, "knowing" she was the thief???

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if its just me, but if I were in the shower and had a bar girl in my room and heard a loud banging the FIRST thing I would think of is my safe. I'd come out soaking wet to check on things.

While I don't keep 100K baht in my safe, I have close to or equal that in US currency, at the start of my trip. This story will probably have me all paranoid about taking a couple thousand $ with me to Thailand and keeping it in a safe from now on. I'll have to make an effort to take travellers checks next time.

Oh and I agree with Volsfan about the whole 'bigging yourself up' thing. Whether you treat girls nice or are a good customer in a gogo means jack shit for this story. You're a victim of theft, that's all we really needed to know.

The interesting thing about this is whether you'll get your money and hard disk back. So the girl may get arrested, but she probably already gave the money to her Thai boyfriend who couldn't give two fucks about her spending time in jail.

This story will probably have me all paranoid about taking a couple thousand $ with me to Thailand and keeping it in a safe from now on. I'll have to make an effort to take travellers checks next time.

...... or open a Thai bank account.

maybye the hotel uses a hard drive , not tapes in their security system---

i install security systems here in uk , their all hard drive now

they store info for weeks even months

i would check with the manager

i cant see a b/g having the savvy to open your safe , and that vid with the spud was probably a fix imho

the safe i had was a newer electronic one than in the youtube vid, no handle to turn, you just put in your number.

One night pissed i locked it with what i thought was the usual number but got it wrong.

Next morning couldn't get in safe.

The hotel manager got in it in under a minute with a screwdriver, all reset and working normally.

I watched how he did it and it was really easy, so don't rely on these safes too much

It's CRAZY to keep very large sums of cash money in a cheap ass hotel safe. CRAZY.

I wouldnt really call $400 a VERY LARGE SUM OF MONEY,oops $4000 but nothing special about having that amount

Edited by ozboy

However all this turns out, one thing seems obvious to me: don't keep that kind of money in a room safe. It takes all of about 15 minutes to open a Thai bank account. Then, you deposit your money and you're out the door with a new ATM card.

I usually have a laptop and camera and so on, but I usually have those items insured.

Anyway, I've always been lucky, I guess. Nothing ever taken from my room.

I wouldnt really call $400 a VERY LARGE SUM OF MONEY

100,000 Baht=$3,310USD. I would call that a CRAZY amount of cash to keep in a cheap ass hotel safe.

Maybe I am gullible but I would like to say that I have been coming to Pattaya on a regular basis for the past 10 years - maybe 15 to 20 trips and I have formed an opinion that Thai girls from mainstream establishments are as honest as the day is long (or have I just been lucky???????)

A couple of questions spring to mind on this event -

1. Did the girl (or anyone else) have knowledge of what was in the safe - I do not think too many of us leave 100,000 baht in a hotel safe.

2. If she did not know what was in the safe it seems pretty unlikely to me that she would try such a break in on just pot luck as to what might be in there.

I for one, without more substantial evidence against the girl, would be looking elsewhere.

Just MHO.

:cry4:

I am very grateful to the OP for his courage in sharing his misfortune.

I first became familiar with electronic inroom safes in 1996 when I lived in a residence hotel wherein my room had one. A couple of times, when the damned thing jammed up, the manager used a special rod (provided by the manufacturer) which inserted into a hole in the safe, & thereby opened it in seconds.

More recently in Pattaya, the battery in my inroom safe died; & the manager used some magnetic disk devices (provided by the manufacturer) to open it quickly.

Any hotel with these electronic room safes has to have some method of opening them in case of a lockout. So, if a corrupt employee gets hold of that opening device, the resident is fucked!

Normally while staying in Pats, I don't keep a large amount of cash in my safe. However, I do store my Passport, T/C's, 2 credit cards & 2 ATM cards in it (a 3rd on my person). Now, having read the OP, I am gunshy. Next trip, I think I will not bring credit cards (I hardly ever use them in Pats, anyway) & limit my ATM cards to two, one on my person & one in my safe with my T/C's. I dare not carry my Passport around with me; I am too clumsy & absent-minded.

I have seen signs for places wherein one can rent a safebox by the month, but I've never investigated. Renting one probably means getting a key which one must then protect. This might be a lesser evil than the safe. Can anyone tell me the hours of operation of these places (when access to box is available) & comment on their security?

100,000 Baht=$3,310USD. I would call that a CRAZY amount of cash to keep in a cheap ass hotel safe.

He didn't name the hotel, so you really can't compare it to your high end lodging.

It's what he had in the safe, and what he thought was safe to keep there.

You call it CRAZY, but some people might not.

I've kept much more than that in a safe.

So, if you want to be throwing words like CRAZY around about other BMs who actually have experience of being here, rather than reading Pattaya newspapers and bullshitting day to day on a Pattaya forum, and who happen to do things differently than you (like live in hotels without movable safes as the Skytop had), then my response is fuck you and the horse you rode in on maybe you should keep your worthless counsel and criticisms to yourself.

Anyway you are spot on about the “Safety Box”. I can post picture of it, if someone are nice enough to resize the pic or tell me how I can to do it.
Well the forum software does resize pics for display automatically.

But simply open it in say Microsoft Office Picture Manger and use the compress function.

I would be interested to see the brand because if it looks anything like mine, I shall be replacing it!!!!!!

Hard faced gal to be hitting on the safe while you shower.... did she have a hammer? Did she already know you had a pile in there!

i have just tried to open my safe with the you tube method i could not
I think the OP said the safe interior was completely smashed.

So the method used was somewhat different, a picture of the damage would confirm that.

I had cause to take my safe to bits once (compulsive tinkerer), and the solenoid controlled latch preventing the door being opened is a weak point, (gravity dependent) and I could imagine a shock, at the same time as giving the handle a twist, might just work. They are cheap assed things that so far have not let me down, whereas I have had something removed from lock-ups behind reception.

1. .... - I do not think too many of us leave 100,000 baht in a hotel safe.

Just MHO.

:P

sure we do...plus charge cards and debit cards as well, that are worth a lot more than $3300.00

to the OP....IMHO.......whether or not you name the girl and the GoGo bar doesn't matter to me...naming the dodgee hotel does...I agree with the poster who said it could have been an inside job of an employee at the hotel...or does your balcony have close access to the guest house next door?...where a nible guest could easily jump from his balcony to yours? Could be a falang in the next establishment...watching you leave your room.

those little metal fences that separate balconies at guest houses don't mean anything to an accomplished crook...and Pattaya is definitely full of accomplished crooks

name of hotel please...if you don't name names...why post this thread at all..is it a windup?

Thanks OP for posting the experience. It is interesting........ i always prefer and use the in-room safes so will be wary now onwards. I dont trust the hotel recep standing in front of my valuales for so many hours just a few steps away from the keys. I know it takes two keys to open but if an in room safe can be broken into , so can the reception safes.

BTW Apex hotel still has the old mechanical safes in their rooms!

I guess the best bet is to minimise your losses IF it does happen. Maybe its a good idea to bring half your holiday money in cash and the other half in limited credit/debit card or use atm cards. The bank charges are negliable compared to the inconvenience (if anything happens) and can be viewed as some sort of insurance policy.

Hope everything works out fine and Merry Chirstmas to everyone especially the OP ; despite what's happen.

It's what he had in the safe, and what he thought was safe to keep there.

You call it CRAZY, but some people might not.

I've kept much more than that in a safe.

So, if you want to be throwing words like CRAZY around about other BMs who actually have experience of being here, rather than reading Pattaya newspapers and bullshitting day to day on a Pattaya forum, and who happen to do things differently than you (like live in hotels without movable safes as the Skytop had), then my response is fuck you and the horse you rode in on maybe you should keep your worthless counsel and criticisms to yourself.

You might have missed it but this is an opinion forum. My opinion it's CRAZY to keep large sums of cash in a cheap ass hotel safe. Your opinion is somewhat different. OK by me. No need to engage in personal abuse. Lame on your part. :P BTW, I've well over 40 trips to Pattaya since 1999 and I've got the passport visa stamps to prove I've been in country. :thumbup

Eighteen years ago and somewhat pissed I tried to get into my room safe in the Landmark Hotel on the Sukhumvit road in Bangkok.

After three fcked up drunken attempts the safe locked me out so I called the front desk who sent a security guy plus another guy who turned out to be the in-house engineer and the Hotels night manager to my room. After answering a few questions the manager verified I was the room occupant.

At that the in-house engineer entered a four digit number onto the key pad which I was told was a special number they called the ‘engineers access code’ which opened the safe.

On seeing how easy it was for him to get into the safe left me worried and from that day on I left little in the safe.

A few years later I read a number of room safes within the Landmark hotel had been riffled by someone (staff) who it was said at the time must have known what the engineer’s access number was.

To this day i've never trusted leaving to much in hotel room safes.

What a stupid assumption! :P

It is not only that Stevoman,

This is eighter done by this girl or someone breaking in to my room.

If this was done by someone breaking into my room between 20.00 – 01.00 the crime scenario would have locked different. The safety box would have been empty; the thief would not only have taken what can be put in a little thai girls bag. There where still money and walubales left in the safety box. My laptop (60000 baht) keyboard, mouse, maybe also exsternal Pc monitor would have been gone. This done by someone breaking in to my room having the hole room for them self, just doesn’t make sense.

When you put the girls behavior and the other stuff on top of that . . .

What a stupid assumption! :P

Sure it is.

Obviously the banging was just a decoy to throw him off the scent of the real thief, who was likely invisible and smelled like chlorine. :thumbup

Get a grip. She makes loud banging while hes in the shower, acts strange afterward, and the safe has been broken in to. Do the math.

IS there a chance she didnt do it? Sure... but its stupid to ASSUME it was someone else all things considered. Better to be wrong and have to apologize then to be right and let the thief walk away without being busted.

But then... I expect this type of BS from you, so its all good :D