Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Can you still live on 30 grand a year in Pattaya ?

True that, here is what my 5yr old pickup costs me per year.

Insurance - 15,000

Tax - 1000

Compulsory third party insurance - 1000

Tyres - 52,000

oil + filters - 10,000

Fuel - 52,000

weekly wash - 7000

general repairs for last year have been 20,000

total = 158,000 or 13,611 per month.

Get the GF to clean it....... :allright :bow

Mine is about the same age but I don't think it costs me so much.

I haven't had 20k/year repair bills, (touch wood).

And new tyres every year..(lot of mileage)?

Nearer 8k/ month I think.....

I keep a scooter too so more expense there.

Having a house is a big ticket item, always bills, repairs, work to be done.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the age old question, if you are go-go high end barfine every nite no.

If you can live on that at home you could here but peopls budgets and tastes vary wildly, if you are a big drinker then you need more there.

My spend goes from 6000 baht a day to 500 baht a day , depending on what you do.

I would say yes (at first glance I thought you were asking 30k baht/month, which would be a NO!).

This is 75k baht/month which is sufficient...

No partying every night though!

Yes it has got tighter, but so have I.

This is ok ,its my budget and i live a good life ,but in Khon Kaen

Get the GF to clean it....... :allright :bow

Mine is about the same age but I don't think it costs me so much.

I haven't had 20k/year repair bills, (touch wood).

And new tyres every year..(lot of mileage)?

Nearer 8k/ month I think.....

I keep a scooter too so more expense there.

Having a house is a big ticket item, always bills, repairs, work to be done.

True that, here is what my 5yr old pickup costs me per year.

Insurance - 15,000

Tax - 1000

Compulsory third party insurance - 1000

Tyres - 52,000

oil + filters - 10,000

Fuel - 52,000

weekly wash - 7000

general repairs for last year have been 20,000

total = 158,000 or 13,611 per month.

Not including depreciation and replacement costs and having a sum of over 500 USD a month is what I call dear. But I know LOS is not inexpensive. It is however fully intoxicating

Edited by 9cisco999

Let me explain a bit more.

30 K a year in US Dollars Net. That means you have 30 k to spend.

Lets figure on a high end 5000 us dollars to get set up.

Set up is an Apt and furnshings and etc and a long-term motorbike rental to start.

I would think after the intial set up, You have 2500 a month coming in ??

That is quite a bit for a bloke that stays somewhat under the Radar and doesnt go out and Barfine and Drink himself to death ?

I posted this same thread in a PI Forum and around 90 % said they would have no problem with that figure in Angeles city or even Subic.

Personally I think Pattaya how so much more to do then AC or even Subic. Only advantage is Girls as the PI girls overall are much friendler then the Thai:s But then again that is only my opinion.

I am sure many long time residents of Pattaya could disagree with that statment ??

At the end of the day it comes down to Personal choice and if you want to hang with 1 chick or play with 50 ?

The question can you play with 50 and still maintain Budget............................

Great replies Guys.

Stein

Even 2nd hand, a basic truck isn't cheap and you've then got to add on servicing and repairs, cleaning, insurance and fuel.

A truck ??? Why would you need a truck to live in Pattaya :allright

220px-Volvo_FH12_täysperävaunuyhdistelmä.jpg

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/truck

You don't even need a car if you live alone in Pattaya

I only use my motorbike or public transports

and I make big saving on insurances and cars budget because of that. :bow

I think after your last night at Windmill, you may have spent a bit more than average :hairout

You would think. But I'm going to have to spend quite a few more frugal nights in FLB before my "average" FLB bill gets that low.

If we take that one day. I bought breakfast for two, took the dog to the vet, went to BigC for cleaning supplies and toilet paper, while there the GF found a front door mat and a pair of shoes she liked, and a toy for the dog. I put 100 baht on my phone and 300 on hers, and paid the 1900 baht electric bill. When the GF went for som tam and rice, she also filled the tank on one of the motorbikes. Dinner for two, plus drinks. Two drinks in FLB waiting for the bar crawl to start. I think that we visited 6 gogo's with at least one drink in each, several lady drinks and that was all before I got to Windmill where my bill was over 4,000 baht. ATM fee 150 baht. On the way home I stopped for cigarettes, milk and water.

I think that I exceeded what Idefix thinks I can live on, and I didn't include internet, rent, TV, or averaging the cost of my motorcycles. Oh, and mama gets money sent monthly.

You would think. But I'm going to have to spend quite a few more frugal nights in FLB before my "average" FLB bill gets that low.

If we take that one day. I bought breakfast for two, took the dog to the vet, went to BigC for cleaning supplies and toilet paper, while there the GF found a front door mat and a pair of shoes she liked, and a toy for the dog. I put 100 baht on my phone and 300 on hers, and paid the 1900 baht electric bill. When the GF went for som tam and rice, she also filled the tank on one of the motorbikes. Dinner for two, plus drinks. Two drinks in FLB waiting for the bar crawl to start. I think that we visited 6 gogo's with at least one drink in each, several lady drinks and that was all before I got to Windmill where my bill was over 4,000 baht. ATM fee 150 baht. On the way home I stopped for cigarettes, milk and water.

I think that I exceeded what Idefix thinks I can live on, and I didn't include internet, rent, TV, or averaging the cost of my motorcycles. Oh, and mama gets money sent monthly.

They've made "Slum Dog Millionaire" but I bet "Lovedog Millionaire" would be more entertaining :hairout

A truck ??? Why would you need a truck to live in Pattaya :hairout

220px-Volvo_FH12_täysperävaunuyhdistelmä.jpg

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/truck

You don't even need a car if you live alone in Pattaya

I only use my motorbike or public transports

and I make big saving on insurances and cars budget because of that. :dbh

Same as me after using a car for a million years in the UK the last thing I want is one here, but each to their own.

Maybe in time it will change but with the weather a bike is good for me :uh-uh:

SHIT !! I was going to say yes, until I saw your post. I calculated it to 75,000 baht a month. It costs me double that on average. I may have to go home, and back to work much sooner than I thought. The government wants you to have 800,000 Baht to live on in a year. That is their requirement for a retirement visa. So I'm sure than many can live on that much. Not sure why I can't do it. I don't feel like I live big. I did the first 6 months, but now I sure don't.

It's a lot easier than you think. Like I said, I don't live big. Occasionally, I do have a big night out. You got to remember, flying over here, I was limited to two bags, and a carry on. Every thing else has to be bought. Want to cook an egg in the morning? You have to buy a burner, a tank of propane, hoses and regulator to hook it up. Buy a pan, a plate, and a fork, add toast, and you have to buy a toaster, a knife, bread, butter, and the egg. Like coffee with your breakfast? add a microwave, coffee, a cup, a spoon and a bottle of milk. Then buy a bag to put the trash in, and a can to put the bag in, and pay someone to pick it up and haul it away.

Don't get me started on the cost of TV, internet, or owning a motorcycle, or air-con, or refundable security deposits, that are not returned. Did I mention my monthly stop by the BIB and contributing to their retirement fund?

You posted the below on another Thread today, if you cut this out or at least down to a minimum, you would make huge savings.

Anyway last week in was in a little out door bar that I have been going to since my first week in Pattaya. I know all the ladies, and they all know me. I bought several of the girls a lady drink, which is rot gut Tequila that mamasan makes them drink. It was a slow night, and I was the only customer in the bar. I then sat and watched the people go by as my girlfriend talked to the laddies. I was OK with that, because I like watching the bra less Russian girls walk by. After a while I got board with it, and was starting to sweat, so I tell the girlfriend, let's check bin and go to FLB for some air con.

Several of the girls wanted me to bar fine them and take them with us. I've done it many times because I can bring someone to dance with me at FLB.

You posted the below on another Thread today, if you cut this out or at least down to a minimum, you would make huge savings.

Anyway last week in was in a little out door bar that I have been going to since my first week in Pattaya. I know all the ladies, and they all know me. I bought several of the girls a lady drink, which is rot gut Tequila that mamasan makes them drink. It was a slow night, and I was the only customer in the bar. I then sat and watched the people go by as my girlfriend talked to the laddies. I was OK with that, because I like watching the bra less Russian girls walk by. After a while I got board with it, and was starting to sweat, so I tell the girlfriend, let's check bin and go to FLB for some air con.

Several of the girls wanted me to bar fine them and take them with us. I've done it many times because I can bring someone to dance with me at FLB.

True statement. Since I'm to stupid to learn the language, the ladies don't talk to me anyways, and I don't take them back to loom, what is the use?

ok so now that USD and AUD are at or close to parity it seems fair to comment from an oz point of view. Having lived in LOS for a year as aprt of my adventures I feel somewhat qualified to comment...i rented an appt in bkk and patts at an ave of 30k pm, now thats reasonable and in both cases the places were acceptable...my view is that if you want to have a frugal lifestyle then realistically 30k may be doable.....but i was thinking 100k in baht per mth split as follows -:

Rent - allow 25k pm on a longer term rental deal

Food and supplies - allow 5k pw or 20k pm, have 2 meals a day at home, eat out once a day.

Medical insurance - based on quotes I have checked then allow 2500 a mth.

Car - I would not have a permanent vehicle as the holding costs etc are too high. Instead I would allow say 8k pm for travel and related costs.

Contents Insurance - not 100% sure how this works exactly but assume its available at say 500 bht pm

Travel - to bkk or other parts of thailand say once a mth, allow 10k

Entertainment / Gifts etc - Allow 24k pm, very rough and will vary mth to mth.

Contingency - 10k pm

Now this is a pretty rough budget but in my view could be sustainable in bkk or patts....but if you lived in patts you would need to be disciplned about nites out and your chosen lifestyle.

In summary I feel a base of about 40k would be acceptable and only IMHO!

Is it beter to buy a condo in the long run? As this would be a big factor for me looking long term.
At first, I would always say rent for a while.......

Easier to search for a property and get your head around where/ how much/should I? etc etc.

Renting is a good alternative here, easy to pack up and go elsewhere at a month's notice if your savings aren't tied to a concrete block in a falling market.

Looking to the future and for the ease of it, I base my calculations on retiring to LOS as $36,500.

Thats obviously budgeting $100 a day. Thats around 3000bt a day (current rate) or about 1,100,000 bt for a year.

As a safety net I think you would want to allow to lose a 1/3 of that if the exchange rate goes to shit and

recalculate to see if you can survive happily on that.

I live happily in Aust on less than $100 a day for personal costs.

The financial killers here are income tax, high insurances, food and fuel costs and GST on everything I buy.

What you need to work out is how much is it costing you to live now in your own country?

Will your daily living expenses in LOS go up or down compared to where you live now?

Do you have enough outside interests other than bars/girls in LOS so that you dont just piss your time/money way?

The answers for each of us will be different.

Just take the time to do the numbers.

I live on a little less than that. I have a motorbike, I pay 7,000 baht for a 36 sq m room. I dont drink a lot, and I eat mainly thai food. I take a lot of girls home but as I have a lot of phone numbers its mostly freelancers, its been a while since I paid a BF.

Can it still be done ?

Can you live comfortable in Pattaya on 30 grand a year USA $

With prices going up on everything it seems to me that it would be much tighter now then just a couple of years ago.

Now I realize that many will ask ? Well how often do you bar-hop ? My question to that is. Once you are their at ground zero for more then 6 months do you really have that urge to go out all the time to the bars ?

I would think by then your cell phone should have enough short and long timers willing to stop by ?

Mrstein

Unless your intellectually challenged or can't manage your affairs it's easy.

Statistics suggest many in the US live on less than $30l p/a

Can it still be done ?

Can you live comfortable in Pattaya on 30 grand a year USA $

With prices going up on everything it seems to me that it would be much tighter now then just a couple of years ago.

Now I realize that many will ask ? Well how often do you bar-hop ? My question to that is. Once you are their at ground zero for more then 6 months do you really have that urge to go out all the time to the bars ?

I would think by then your cell phone should have enough short and long timers willing to stop by ?

Mrstein

Easy mate . Thai people would laugh in your face if you asked them the same question.

Unless your intellectually challenged or can't manage your affairs it's easy.

Statistics suggest many in the US live on less than $30l p/a

Indeed. The question itself is an embarrassment for those of us from a wealthier society.

ok so now that USD and AUD are at or close to parity it seems fair to comment from an oz point of view. Having lived in LOS for a year as aprt of my adventures I feel somewhat qualified to comment...i rented an appt in bkk and patts at an ave of 30k pm, now thats reasonable and in both cases the places were acceptable...my view is that if you want to have a frugal lifestyle then realistically 30k may be doable.....but i was thinking 100k in baht per mth split as follows -:

Rent - allow 25k pm on a longer term rental deal

Food and supplies - allow 5k pw or 20k pm, have 2 meals a day at home, eat out once a day.

Medical insurance - based on quotes I have checked then allow 2500 a mth.

Car - I would not have a permanent vehicle as the holding costs etc are too high. Instead I would allow say 8k pm for travel and related costs.

Contents Insurance - not 100% sure how this works exactly but assume its available at say 500 bht pm

Travel - to bkk or other parts of thailand say once a mth, allow 10k

Entertainment / Gifts etc - Allow 24k pm, very rough and will vary mth to mth.

Contingency - 10k pm

Now this is a pretty rough budget but in my view could be sustainable in bkk or patts....but if you lived in patts you would need to be disciplned about nites out and your chosen lifestyle.

In summary I feel a base of about 40k would be acceptable and only IMHO!

I have house,car and motorbike,i live here on about 60,000 baht a month for 3,and that includes everything including private medical,a couple of nights out withmates and a couple with gf and stepson,even includes private school,about 30,000 baht a year.For the ones who are rich and for theones who will be negative,i did say i spend 60,000 a month,not i only have 60,000 a month,thank you.

If i was working in an empty bar i would want u to take me out for free drinks and freefood lol lo lu big softie

Total Spend

Bhts Pounds

2262541 44693

30 months 75418.03333 1489.763603

The above shows all my total spends whilst iv been living in LOS for 30 months now.

Includes every thing ,from living to a good standard for Me,My Lady and young daughter,many holidays around Thailand ,trips back to uk ,child education costs,nights out at week ends ,ect,ect.

I do not have car as public transport is ok for me and very cheap.

Also I rent a nice house in a nice location in Khon Kaen City.

So I have spent 44,693 uk pounds ,thats just under avg of £1500 month ,about 75000 bhts month.

dont forget the bht has been up and down since living here ,the highest in this period was about 60 bhts to pound and the lowest iv seen is 45 bhts to the pound.

My spend is no suprise to me as I do have a budget of £1500 a month ,I also monitor and manage my budget/cash flow/balance using a simple spread sheet on the PC.

My job before I retired was a planning/budget engineer has put me in a good stead to manage my own budget here.

The secret of living a good life in LOS whether you have £1000 or £3000 a month ,is keep within your budget then you will not worry too much.Also I have said a few times before have a long term plan ,for a 50 year old man who is retired the plan should not be less than 20 years,also monitor your plan against spend and make ajustments where needed.

Looking to the future and for the ease of it, I base my calculations on retiring to LOS as $36,500.

Thats obviously budgeting $100 a day. Thats around 3000bt a day (current rate) or about 1,100,000 bt for a year.

As a safety net I think you would want to allow to lose a 1/3 of that if the exchange rate goes to shit and

recalculate to see if you can survive happily on that.

I live happily in Aust on less than $100 a day for personal costs.

The financial killers here are income tax, high insurances, food and fuel costs and GST on everything I buy.

What you need to work out is how much is it costing you to live now in your own country?

Will your daily living expenses in LOS go up or down compared to where you live now?

Do you have enough outside interests other than bars/girls in LOS so that you dont just piss your time/money way?

The answers for each of us will be different.

Just take the time to do the numbers.

Jeff thats 21000 bhts week ,easy to live good life on this,sure you be happy with a life i have now

Mine been working out about 17000 avg bhts week for all spend over the last 30 months .

and you do not smoke like me haha

Is it beter to buy a condo in the long run? As this would be a big factor for me looking long term.

I would say up to you Bravo :thumbup

If you plan on staying for more than a few years yes, if you dont then no

Give my number to Duncan mate