Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

is it safe to buy food from foodstands in pattaya?

It is my first trip to Thailand and am wondering if it is safe to buy food from foodstands in pattaya? Or, is it safer to go to a restauarant with seating in it? I had a friend who went there last year and had no problems with his stomach but am just wondeing if anyone else had suggestions or opinions?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are going to get a set of yes and no answers.

Generally food in Thailand is safe.... more so than say India, but I suggest caution.

Anything freshly cooked from the wok or BBQ is going to be fine. But beware of those dishes where hot water is simply poured over various ingredients to make a soup.

Generally food in Thailand is safe.... more so than say India, but I suggest caution.

Anything freshly cooked from the wok or BBQ is going to be fine. But beware of those dishes where hot water is simply poured over various ingredients to make a soup.

Sums it up perfect Jacko

I have had food poisoning in

Spain- more than once

Greece

Turkey

and even USA

but never had it in Pattaya and i have beenhere for 7 years,but i never have dishes like lab moo which is not copked,and i would have uncooked meat in Uk too.

Forget the newbies who want to spend plenty of money on expensive cardboard like food,try somew thai food including decent venues and you will be amazed how tasty it is

Sums it up perfect Jacko

I have had food poisoning in

Spain- more than once

Greece

Turkey

and even USA

but never had it in Pattaya and i have beenhere for 7 years,but i never have dishes like lab moo which is not copked,and i would have uncooked meat in Uk too.

Forget the newbies who want to spend plenty of money on expensive cardboard like food,try somew thai food including decent venues and you will be amazed how tasty it is

Laab Moo is cooked, or it always is when I get it. Sometimes it gets left sitting around and could be a risk.

One of my favourites and generally is cooked fresh.... well apart from the cabbage, string beans and mint.

Like you I have had a quite few bad stomachs in many a place, nearly never in Thailand. My bad experiences in other countries (India, Mexico, Bangladesh) make me wary though. To the OP, bratpack is right, Thai food is super, enjoy it. You might get a few chilly after effects though :P.

Laab Moo is cooked, or it always is when I get it. Sometimes it gets left sitting around and could be a risk.

One of my favourites and generally is cooked fresh.... well apart from the cabbage, string beans and mint.

Like you I have had a quite few bad stomachs in many a place, nearly never in Thailand. My bad experiences in other countries (India, Mexico, Bangladesh) make me wary though. To the OP, bratpack is right, Thai food is super, enjoy it. You might get a few chilly after effects though :P.

As a newbie remember this

1/ nid noi phet ----------------------------------- only a little bit spicy

I am up to ropcket fuel phet phet so no wucking furries for me lol

As jacko said, you are going to get a lot of yes and no answers.

However, you can cut down the chances of getting negative reactions to the different bacteria you'll come across by eating a bio/live yogurt every day for a week or two prior to your trip. Keep that topped-up by drinking a small bottle of Yakult on a daily basis whilst you're in Thailand - they're available in every 7-11 in all sorts of flavours/sizes.

308681534_08d75095e8.jpg?v=0

Seeing the food carts parked outside all night behind my hotel puts me off eating from them. Do you think that the Thai's will unload the cart's food into a refrigerator overnight or throw food away that is unsold from day before?

Having said that I do eat BBQ chicken from the carts when drunk without ill effects so far, but the kebabs always gives the runs.

jackolson56,

It's a crap shoot. Some food stands are ok and some might not be. You will never know until you try. My suggestion is that you try places that are busy, as that, hopefully, indicates that the inventory turnover is pretty quick which could be an indication of freshness.

FatherMojo

Quite right, and I've been sick 2 times from big restaurants and never from street food - which is only a personal answer.

But the answer to the actual narrow question is "yes" - otherwise people would be sick and dying all over Thailand, where street food is by far the most common food.

Your advice is good - food that has been JUST deep fried or JUST boiled or JUST (properly) stir-fried is as safe to eat as food ever gets, anywhere.

I think of it like this. At least you can see the vendors cooking your food, although what you do not know, is how long the ingredients have been hanging around. When we go into a restaurant, it may look clean on the outside, but we rarely enter the kitchen where the food is prepared and cooked - again, we have no idea of the history of the ingredients or the cooking process or cleanliness of that kitchen.

So I would say that the risks are more or less the same. Often, it is not always easy to pin down, where that stomach upset comes from.

I have had food poisoning but never from a street vendor. The last two times were both from farang run restaurants. Look for the busy stands and you should be fine.

I must say I had some really good fired chicken at one of the foodstands while waiting for my teelack to get her face done in salon. It was so good that the next night I went back for more but it was too late they had gone home.

Right, for a first timer, try the sticky rice and the frankfurter type sausage, or the processed fish balls on skewer, they are easy to detect if they are off, unlike chicken or pork where you don't know how old the meat is or if its been left out for long.

Then move on up to the other meats.

If you want to be absolutley safe and are very cautious, start off with the sticky rice only, it comes in a small slice like package about as big as half a slice of bread, looks very small but it takes ages to eat as the rice is compacted. They will brown it off for you on the charcoal and wrap it in newspaper.

It is my first trip to Thailand and am wondering if it is safe to buy food from foodstands in pattaya? Or, is it safer to go to a restauarant with seating in it? I had a friend who went there last year and had no problems with his stomach but am just wondeing if anyone else had suggestions or opinions?

The one time I got sick was after eating falang food.

The one time I got sick was after eating falang food.
Where was this falang operating a food stand......? Edited by jacko
Where was this falang operating a food stand......?

Like I said, the only time I got sick was eating falang food. Is that difficult to understand?

August 2009 I got sick in Pattaya but thought it was minot until I needed hospitalization in Bangkok for an intestinal infection.

But I could have just as easily gotten ill from a hotel buffet or restaurant than from street food - in Thailand or anywhere else.

Choose busy food carts, I've never gotten sick from a cart. I did get sick twice, once after a falang brekkie at the old Thumbs Up on soi 6.

The other time was a proper restaurant in the Hua Hin tourist zone, ate there many times no problem then got giardia after a mango shake.

Note to self: bottled drinks!!!!

Edited by JohnnyK

mind the spicyness seeing how this is your 1st visit. wreaks havok on my digestive system. nothing a little amoodium ad and pepto can't fix. That or the local equievalant.

Like I said, the only time I got sick was eating falang food. Is that difficult to understand?
The OP is about food stands.......

You got sick from farang food, was it from a food stand?

You remind me of the idiot in the car who said 'I got a brother' which movie was that?

Edited by jacko
The OP is about food stands.......

You got sick from farang food, was it from a food stand?

You remind me off the idiot in the car who said 'I got a brother' which movie was that?

Go fuck yourself, douchebag.

Go fuck yourself, douchebag.

I looked for a movie by that name, but didn't find it. Was it produced independently? :banghead