Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I think the thread is just a personal opinon type thread, a good one, but one that has been raised a few times before. Some good points and some silly ones. But, my thoughts are that the thread should not be about the demise of Pattaya, but "the rise" of Pattaya, i would like to see more high end hotels and shopping centres. There will always be the cheap charlie beer bars, just fewer of them. The russians and Indians dont really spend that much while they are here. The one thing i have really noticed over the last two years - is the amount of Thais coming to live here from Bangkok. So far all of the ones i have met (and yes, i have met a good number) have been really nice people who just want out of BKK.They opted to leave BKK and buy a home in or very near to Pattaya. So i believe it is the Thais who are responsible for the "rise" as i see it of Pattaya

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to the OP and Tom for dissuading me to visit Pattaya again. I used to allow for about a 6000 baht per day spend in Pattaya but I have found out that is possible to have good accomodation, pre

I have been going to Centara Grand in Naklua to work out for a couple of months. I had not spent much time in Naklus and am surprised at what I see there. What I see is many affluent couples and famil

Gotta laugh at the OP who seems to think he is some kind of 'Champagne Charlie.'   Taking girls from the Coconut Bar in a Third World shithole like Pattaya doesn't make you the High Roller that you

Posted Images

...and Thais..I love it when there is some festival on and the place is packed with Thai families on beach road....and if you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere then go and do it....move on.....but don't criticise people that decide to stay..

I agree completely Bullfrog. When the people that can't afford to come here start calling the people that live here and enjoy it stupi, and ldops it pisses me off. If you don't it go away and please stop posting every day that it is a shithole. Enjoy where you are at.

Jack

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree completely Bullfrog. When the people that can't afford to come here start calling the people that live here and enjoy it stupi, and ldops it pisses me off. If you don't it go away and please stop posting every day that it is a shithole. Enjoy where you are at.

Jack

What has Pattaya become 

My sweetest friend 

Everyone I know goes away 

In the end 

And you could have it all 

Your empire of dirt 

All the bars are closing down 

and you know that's going to hurt 

What has Pattaya become 

My sweetest friend 

In the end 

Your empire of dirt 

and y :rolleyes: ou know that's going to hurt 

Since I don't drink it will probably have no bearing on my life. As long as the short time venues,beach rd., and the massage parlors stay open.

Jack

p.s. How much are breezers where you are?

What has Pattaya become 

My sweetest friend 

In the end 

Your empire of dirt 

and you know that's going to hurt 

Dontcha decides to start again

a million miles away

But here I'm goin' to keep myself

As long as I can find a way

• Upvote 1

Jack

Therein lies the issue, people make up all sorts of reasons why they dont visit... oddly enough I have nevere read anyone is potless, given Western economies I find that hard to believe, :chogdee

• Downvote 1

Gotta laugh at the OP who seems to think he is some kind of 'Champagne Charlie.'

Taking girls from the Coconut Bar in a Third World shithole like Pattaya doesn't make you the High Roller that you seem to think you are. :allright

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Gotta laugh at the OP who seems to think he is some kind of 'Champagne Charlie.'

Taking girls from the Coconut Bar in a Third World shithole like Pattaya doesn't make you the High Roller that you seem to think you are. :allright

I didn't get any sense that jaxxon55 was portraying himself as a high-roller. He was explaining why the future of tourism in Pattaya doesn't depend on whether low-spending farang sex tourists continue to visit the city. Contrary to what's sometimes written on the Pattaya boards, it's not the guys who stay in 500-baht rooms, pay 40 baht for a bottle of beer and give the girls as little compensation as possible that make or break Pattaya. Jaxxon55 was drawing attention to that point.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I didn't get any sense that jaxxon55 was portraying himself as a high-roller. He was explaining why the future of tourism in Pattaya doesn't depend on whether low-spending farang sex tourists continue to visit the city. Contrary to what's sometimes written on the Pattaya boards, it's not the guys who stay in 500-baht rooms, pay 40 baht for a bottle of beer and give the girls as little compensation as possible that make or break Pattaya. Jaxxon55 was drawing attention to that point.

Evil

:devil

I agree :chogdee

• Upvote 1

nobody seemed interested so what's the point in putting in the effort

It had 1,300 + views. That's big numbers in todays forums! As Martin said in the fork thread, people just aren't posting. PM me a link if you post it elsewhere, thanks. :thumbup

The members that are quick to call Pattaya a shithole should go around and check out these areas. The areas you stay in may be a shithole but it is not representative of Pattaya as a whole.

Only point I slightly disagree with is this. Just how big are these other areas you speak of, in comparison to the enormous central hub (which probably stretches from beach road to third road, and somewhere south of south road - pattaya tai, right up to those dirty looking naklua pussy bars) of Pattaya, which is in fact a shithole, a dirty town full of dirty bars.

That central hub may of course change one day due to that market you speak of, but for now...

To the guys that just don't get it..Imagine the cheap greasy spoon cafe you like to eat at GREAT ..but customers start coming in and asking for steak instead of sausages..and clean cutlery and table cloths and chairs made of something other than cheap plastic that gives you a sweaty arse......so the cafe next door provides it...then another cafe..and another...All these become full of customers whilst you sit alone in your greasy spoon until it closes....

You have two choices

1. Find a new greasy spoon cafe

2. Go into the other cafes and order egg and chips......but more expensive..

EDIT = FLB and PBG are of course good places to "eat" and nothing greasy about them.. :thumbup

that wasn't the OP's argument though.

Your argument would lead to go go bars rather than bia bars [steak rather than bacon and eggs]

The OP is arguing for something other than food.

You are 20 years too late..UB girls were cheap as chips in Beijing in the early 90s..If price is so much of a factor over looks then Blighty is quickly becoming 3rd world so why not just stay at home and shag whores...

Polish birds in Bermondsey se london have driven prices down. if you're happy with east euro birds no need to leave london

• Upvote 1

I have been going to Centara Grand in Naklua to work out for a couple of months. I had not spent much time in Naklus and am surprised at what I see there. What I see is many affluent couples and families and tour groups eating in expensive restaurants and enjoying Pattaya away from the mongering scene. The Royal Cliff area on the south end of Pattaya is the same and we have Central Festival and the Hilton in the middle. I believe in the future they will all expand and the area will be much higher priced.

I think mongers are really deluded if they think the economy of Pattaya is based on their small segment. Especially the cheap charlie mongers.I think many have never been past soi 6 in the north end and soi 17 in the south end. Pattaya is becoming a big city and attracting more affluent Thais from BKK and many more affluent Asians from all over as well as Russians and Scandinavians.

The members that are quick to call Pattaya a shithole should go around and check out these areas. The areas you stay in may be a shithole but it is not representative of Pattaya as a whole.And these people building the high end places do not care if you go to the P.I. because drinks are cheaper. They are not trying to attract you anyway. IN fact,they hope you leave so their high end clients do not have to deal with you.

Expats that think the building all over town is creating a big room surplus (I was one for several years) fail to see that most are filling up and it does not matter if it takes a while because overheard is low. The big hotel chains also just might know more than you do with their marketing and research teams. I know it is hard to believe they know more than expats but it is possible.

So I don't think 10 more baht draft beer or higher ladydrink prices is going to stop Pattaya. The girls will be here and the drinks will be here but they will cost more. And the people with less money will be gone just like in the rest of the world.

Jack

agree with everything bar the bit i've bolded.

these areas AREA more representative [but the powers that be are intent on seeing that they won't be. And will succeed i think, sadly]

Have to agree, Pattaya is still a favorite of mine, as you say, a shithole with smelly sewers and may I add thieving/ scamming capital of Thailand, still love the buzz but I have been spending less time there as the years go by. I have much more fun running around Isaan, but you need to know some Thai most of the time.

When I run into first time tourists that need help with directions in Pattaya, they are usually shocked and sweating their asses off (disappointed) in Pattaya. Then they asked me where I am from, I tell them Hawaii and they simply don't understand and say, what (figuratively add "what the fuck") are you doing here for Christ sake? With a young TBG in tow, I assume they don't get it, shrug my shoulders and walk away.

Surely the whole point of Pattaya being what it is that you can have a holiday with endless amount of eye-opening experiences if you want or you can have a quiet holiday by the sea in an upmarket hotel with all the western luxuries or anything else in between. It really is up to you and surely that's the attraction of the place.

• Upvote 1

Pattaya can expand and grow all it wants. But I think at some point the bubble is going to burst. Sure there are many non mongering tourists but they are also happen to be cheap people who aren't so into spending money on the local economy - Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Russians. I don't see them in the bars. I don't see many of them in the malls. And even if they are they quickly realize the prices are on par with what it is back home so why the fuck spend money in Pattaya? The beaches are shit, the water is dirty, sand is litter ridden, locals are scam artists or annoying as hell with their constant good for sale stuck in your face. Mongering may not be the largest tourism factor in Thailand, but it sure as hell is for Pattaya. Mongerers are the ones spending the money. All those Asians coming off the tour buses are from tour packages. All their meals are paid for in advance. You won't see them running up a 2000 baht check bin in any bar. So, I say let them come, as long as they aren't competing for the P4P girls they will eventually piss off back where they came from and realize Pattaya really isn't so fun unless you want to take lady.

• Upvote 2

I know I'm not a high roller and have no desire to be one. But I am also not going to some shithole and keep posting what a shithole Pattaya is. Most of us that live here have been to the places you and Dontcha try to pretend are paradise and know better. Many of my friends love the P.I. and I like Phnom Penh but we don't live there. AS long as you are happy where you live it shouldn't make a shit where other people choose to live. It is kind of strange to try to convince someone you have found nirvana. What is the point?

Jack

p.s. I have found some great girls on the beach over the years.

Edited by jaxxon55
  • Downvote 1

Pattaya can expand and grow all it wants. But I think at some point the bubble is going to burst. Sure there are many non mongering tourists but they are also happen to be cheap people who aren't so into spending money on the local economy - Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Russians.

Compared to whom?

I don't see them in the bars.

Is that what you refer to as the local economy?

I don't see many of them in the malls. And even if they are they quickly realize the prices are on par with what it is back home so why the fuck spend money in Pattaya? The beaches are shit, the water is dirty, sand is litter ridden, locals are scam artists or annoying as hell with their constant good for sale stuck in your face. Mongering may not be the largest tourism factor in Thailand, but it sure as hell is for Pattaya.

Sure. All these 5* hotels and shopping malls are being built for the dontchas of this world. Not!

Mongerers are the ones spending the money.

On their 500 baht guesthouses and their 40 Baht draft beers. Stereotyping I know, but no more so than your "cheap people" reference.

All those Asians coming off the tour buses are from tour packages. All their meals are paid for in advance. You won't see them running up a 2000 baht check bin in any bar.

Bad news for those that own a bar.

So, I say let them come, as long as they aren't competing for the P4P girls

They're certainly competing for the same workspace.

they will eventually piss off back where they came from and realize Pattaya really isn't so fun unless you want to take lady.

The trouble is that "back where they came from", there is another couple of billion waiting to replace them.

I have been going to Centara Grand in Naklua to work out for a couple of months. I had not spent much time in Naklus and am surprised at what I see there. What I see is many affluent couples and families and tour groups eating in expensive restaurants and enjoying Pattaya away from the mongering scene. The Royal Cliff area on the south end of Pattaya is the same and we have Central Festival and the Hilton in the middle. I believe in the future they will all expand and the area will be much higher priced.

I think mongers are really deluded if they think the economy of Pattaya is based on their small segment. Especially the cheap charlie mongers.I think many have never been past soi 6 in the north end and soi 17 in the south end. Pattaya is becoming a big city and attracting more affluent Thais from BKK and many more affluent Asians from all over as well as Russians and Scandinavians.

The members that are quick to call Pattaya a shithole should go around and check out these areas. The areas you stay in may be a shithole but it is not representative of Pattaya as a whole.And these people building the high end places do not care if you go to the P.I. because drinks are cheaper. They are not trying to attract you anyway. IN fact,they hope you leave so their high end clients do not have to deal with you.

Expats that think the building all over town is creating a big room surplus (I was one for several years) fail to see that most are filling up and it does not matter if it takes a while because overheard is low. The big hotel chains also just might know more than you do with their marketing and research teams. I know it is hard to believe they know more than expats but it is possible.

So I don't think 10 more baht draft beer or higher ladydrink prices is going to stop Pattaya. The girls will be here and the drinks will be here but they will cost more. And the people with less money will be gone just like in the rest of the world.

Jack

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusions,I don't however understand why they should be relevant to mongers or cheap charlies (like me)as the only reason we come to Pattaya is the cheap sex .High end hotels are not why the average monger comes to Pattaya and if the mongers are driven away the places that market themselves to mongers will have to close,That is how it works.Having closed they will be making no money and will lose the owners money.How is this a good thing for the bars,discos and cheap hotels.Pattaya will change and so will the people making money from the town.I may be a cheap charlie but my 150,000/200,000 baht will not be in circulation if I am priced out of Pattaya.I will either go elsewhere or stay at home.Pattaya may be able to go on without mongers but the people who are in business to supply the mongers will go out of business,rather more quickly ,if they disregard their customers.

Edited by sinbinjack
  • Upvote 1

Sure. All these 5* hotels and shopping malls are being built for the dontchas of this world. Not!

On their 500 baht guesthouses and their 40 Baht draft beers. Stereotyping I know, but no more so than your "cheap people" reference.

Bad news for those that own a bar.

They're certainly competing for the same workspace.

The trouble is that "back where they came from", there is another couple of billion waiting to replace them.

How quickly you forget how you liked the 1000 baht rooms that I stayed in while on Holiday in Pattaya.

Last time I admit that I stayed in a hotel that offered huge rooms, WiFI and a lovely swimming pool complete with a powerful jacuzzi for 500 baht .... in a very central location.

Can you tell me what anyone from India or Russia can buy in grand central mall that they cant buy cheaper at home.

Pattaya does offer great value rooms but there is no need to pay anymore than 1000 baht, do you sleep better in a room that you pay 2000+ for?

I have stayed in a number of 5* hotels over the years but I could not see how they worth anymore.

Of course there are rich Russian/Indian tourists but there are a hell of a lot of them that have no money to spend also.

13156218776922.jpg

Pattaya does offer great value rooms but there is no need to pay anymore than 1000 baht, do you sleep better in a room that you pay 2000+ for?

That kinda proves my point, does it not? clueless.gif The 5* hotels aren't aimed at the dontchas of this world.

How quickly you forget how you liked the 1000 baht rooms that I stayed in while on Holiday in Pattaya.

I forget very little. I actually said "It looks like a decent room". alright.gif

Of course there are rich Russian/Indian tourists but there are a hell of a lot of them that have no money to spend also.

You could add Irish, British and American to that list. whistling.gif

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Downvote 1

Surely the whole point of Pattaya being what it is that you can have a holiday with endless amount of eye-opening experiences if you want or you can have a quiet holiday by the sea in an upmarket hotel with all the western luxuries or anything else in between. It really is up to you and surely that's the attraction of the place.

Surely you don't mean that Pattaya beach is a quiet holiday by the sea, at least a quality one. It's gotten better over the years, brown water to actual green water, but I wouldn't put a foot in that water. Sure, go out to the islands and nice, Phuket is nicer and more expensive for the non-monger folks and mongers also too some extent.

If a non-monger couple stays in Pattaya, the husband will either be disqusted or pretend to be, because the wife won't like the eye candy. As I said, first time American tourist usually don't like it except for the shopping they can do in BKK better. Also, lets face it, the weather is kind of warm and humid most of the time, not ideal for many. Lots more places closer to home to find better weather. Europeans seem to enjoy Pattaya more then most. Other then that, it's perfect for the first time non-mongering crowd.

Edited by player