Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Have you ever been stopped by Customs coming INTO Thailand ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no way it is one in ten. The last 2 times there must have been 100 people a minute leaving through nothing to declare as there were maybe 5 flights at once, and they weren't stopping 10 a min

High level drug arrests are made and publicised in downtown Bangkok and further - by the Customs Department. Imports to Thailand come from one or two places more than the Customs Hall of Suvarnabhumi

No. It means that the law forbids it.   .

No. It means that the law forbids it.

The law requires that you pay the taxes, duty, etc.... They are pretty steep, but not as steep as the penalties but considering if you deal with all of this sort of officialdom at the first and lowest level, a quick pay off gets you out real trouble. The worst is that you have to pay up at the full rate and deal with the hassle. I like to travel light so you won't see me lugging more than one bottle of whatever so that I don't have pay mini bar rates until I get out to stock the room.

Never have been stopped in or out of Asia but seems like every other trip to South America I get stopped on the way back into the US. One time the full deal but usually just a lot questions and quick search of my carry on that a little old lady wouldn't get. Now if I get questioned, I simply tell them politely, search my stuff if want they want but I am not in the mood for 20 questions after a 10 hour flight.

In almost 30yrs, never been stopped (then again, I don't smoke, travel light, & don't bring in any booze). I have noticed others from time to time undergoing inspection right there before going through the barrier to the public hall. 'Never noticed the plain-clothes inspections mentioned by Joe, but 'will start being more observant for those.

• 5 months later...

I have been traveling back and forth to Thailand several times a year since 1996, not once have I ever been stopped by customs coming in from the luggage carosels.

The last 3 years I never carry and baggage except for my computer bag. I get stopped several times in the US to explain why I have no baggage, but never in Thailand.

• 3 months later...

Stopped at the border from Cambodia to Thailand ( Koh Kong) last month. Never been stopped before. Not really a though search, maybe they were bored. Did have a few hundred zeagra tablets, only $1.50 for a card of 4 in Cambodia

Stopped at the border from Cambodia to Thailand ( Koh Kong) last month. Never been stopped before. Not really a though search, maybe they were bored. Did have a few hundred zeagra tablets, only $1.50 for a card of 4 in Cambodia

Have you un-clenched yet? :blush:

Edited by nkped

Once, now that I think about it. My bag had an awkward protrusion due to over stuffing but the guy just frisked the bag an let me thru.

Kinda piss poor attempt at keeping out contraband if you ask me.

Edited by steamer