Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

HDR Photographs,Pattaya

Here's a few experimental HDR images,taken in Pattaya in October. HDR is High Dynamic Range,.

The process involves taking three different exposures of a static scene,then merging them in a dedicated programme.One is underexposed,one overexposed,and one normal exposure.A tripod is necessary to prevent any change in the viewfinder. The camera I used,a Canon 5d Mk2,has a setting called "auto bracketing" which allows these settings to be pre selected,then takes the three exposures in sequence,thus avoiding touching the camera. The three images then align up,without any ghosting.

The images are then fed into a HDR programme on the computer,the one I used is called Photomatrix Pro,and amalgamated. A fair few presets are on hand,and loads of tweaks.

The photos are initially set in the RAW mode,where the data is uncompressed,then returned to JPEGS for posting.

There are many ways to modify these images...ultra real,surreal....many options.

This was the first time I used HDR,and so I wasnt sure what to photograph,or what the results might be.

I popped them in the Photomatrix processor a few minutes ago,and here are the first ten.

I'll add more in the next few days. Hope you enjoy the vividness!

HDR001a.jpg

HDR002a.jpg

HDR003a.jpg

HDR004a.jpg

HDR005a.jpg

HDR006a.jpg

HDR007a.jpg

HDR008a.jpg

HDR009a.jpg

HDR010a.jpg

• Upvote 4

There is a realism about the way they look, although I wonder if I would do better seeing them on something other than my computer screen.

Although it appears the sun is out the blueness of the sky looks too dark.

I also get an impression of the sun as being low in the sky

The sun was nearly overhead. I wanted to get sky and clouds in the photos,then dramatically play with the settings to make the image full of detail rather than washed out. It was the first time I had ever tried this method,and now popping them in the editing programme is the first time I've altered them like this. Some are very realistic,others surreal...whatever best suits the scene. Anyway,makes a change from normal photos?

Here's another ten. Some were shot with a fisheye lens,hence the super wide angle and curvature.

HDR011a.jpg

HDR012a.jpg

HDR013a.jpg

HDR014a.jpg

HDR015a.jpg

HDR016a.jpg

HDR017a.jpg

HDR018a.jpg

HDR019a.jpg

HDR020a.jpg

• Upvote 3

JS,samesame..I had the camera for three years before digging into the settings and trying things out.

The conversion programme,Photomatrix,also lets you enter a single image for HDR if it is shot in the RAW mode,and then tonemaps it for added detail. Although not true HDR as there is only one exposure,it means you can get special effects with moving scenes also,people etc. Heres five I just popped through the programme....the original photos were dull and insipid,the stuff coming out the other end is dramatic.

a001.jpg

a002.jpg

a003.jpg

a004.jpg

a005.jpg

I recently posted about 150 halloween photos here : http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/59954-a-nightmare-on-walking-street/

These were single exposures in RAW,then processed through Photomatrix for effect. Its a simple to use programme!

• Upvote 2

Interesting but nearly all reasonably close up. I would like to see some across the bay and sunset as well.

I didnt take the camera and tripod out much,so only have a few daytime shots here. I have a few of the boats though,will scramble through my pics and add them later. Next time Im out there I'll get some panoramas and vista shots.

JS,samesame..I had the camera for three years before digging into the settings and trying things out.

The conversion programme,Photomatrix,also lets you enter a single image for HDR if it is shot in the RAW mode,and then tonemaps it for added detail. Although not true HDR as there is only one exposure,it means you can get special effects with moving scenes also,people etc.

It's pretty easy to knock out "faux hdr" from basic jpegs in Photoshop ... I like the effect and, as you say, it can make boring shots come to life.

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Edited by CheshireTom

I understand that I will not be very popular with this post but I think you're overdoing it. I mean way over.Good HDR is meant to bring out details and eliminate drastic differences between indoor/outdoor light or simple shadow/highlight in a professional way. In the right hands, HDR images can make a very strong impact. It can also be used to enhance an image in a very subtle and aesthetically pleasing way but the result can be also tacky if overdone.

http://www.dtcphoto....88347&k=8Lc9jtH

4968277281_a93104064c_b.jpg

Meirose-HDR-One-03.jpg

Meirose-HDR-One-04.jpg

Meirose-HDR-One-08.jpg

Themega Church-900x900.jpg

Andrew Maccoll.jpg

firehawkhdrtg7.jpg

4981342800_b877a4bde1_b.jpg

rrjr_0500_hdr.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hehe....well,for me it was another method of playing with an image,no more no less. One mans fantastical is another's tacky. Super real is no better than surreal,just different. I enjoy manipulating what comes off the memory card.

That was the first time I had played with exposures. I'm sure the pictures you attached are from people with long experience in this genre,hence the exceptionally high standard of their output. We all have to start somewhere. Thank fuck it's not a competition,eh?

I understand that I will not be very popular with this post but I think you're overdoing it. I mean way over.Good HDR is meant to bring out details and eliminate drastic differences between indoor/outdoor light or simple shadow/highlight in a professional way.

That may be true for folk who are trying to present their photographs in a professional, rather than artisitc way. Unfortunately, the general perception of hdr effects is a bit different.

Hehe....well,for me it was another method of playing with an image,no more no less. One mans fantastical is another's tacky. Super real is no better than surreal,just different.

I don't think there's any explaining or apologising to do. It'll be a sad day for the forum if folk are comparing your snaps to those of professional photographers.

HDR can be used in a variety of ways. The OP has demonstrated the use of HDR to create interesting but surreal shots and Patna has shown how HDR can enhance realistic shots. It's worth knowing how to do both kinds of photos.

No one is right or wrong. Just create what you like and share them with others.

• Upvote 2
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
4 hours ago, blue_flag said:

untitled-3646.thumb.jpg.9c667b6c31bdba28b146f07b97505bdf.jpg

untitled-3647.thumb.jpg.681913b350a82791fbdc66b8a39175cb.jpg

untitled-3649.thumb.jpg.5e23fc61625e22f36e676ccb8a0adf35.jpg

untitled-3650.thumb.jpg.af79abe7422939da48a80a4db3851b3d.jpg

A damp and dull morning.  HDR does bring out the colours and sparkle.  What will be there next year?

Thank you for the pics.  The last two, it is just weird seeing the streets empty....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...