Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

ATMs where you can still withdraw 20,000 baht?

Read somewhere that if you use a foreign ATM card with Visa they charge you 150 baht,

but if you use the foreign ATM card with Mastercard they charge you 180 baht!

True or not?

Plahgat

As I posted above, I believe that is the reason for different charges.

I wonder how long before Visa decide they want more too?

It looks like the problem is not the ATMs so much as the conditions imposed by my bank. But I wouldn't have figured that out if I hadn't posted here, so thanks everyone.

The Ayuddhya ATM next to the VT2 gives 30.000 ( next to the former Top's )

Whenever possible, I use The Ayuddhya ATM's although I haven't an account with them. All of them, wherever I've used one, gives the 30K amt. per transaction

• 3 weeks later...

Do what I do. These days I get the missus to wait in line inside the bank to withdraw money, usually 30 000 THB, which is normally enough to cover our living expenses for a week or longer. I had a bad experience not so long ago at the Kasikorn Bank inside the Harbor Mall at Laem Chabang. I used the ATM to withdraw THB 20 000. I got the money alright, but the machine would not return my debit card. We walked inside the bank and told them about the problem. The usher at the door could not care less and just gave us a number to see a teller. After 5 minutes waiting with many people on front of us, we approached one of the people in charge, asking if it would be possible to get the debit card back from their machine.

The cunt asked me for my passport, which I usually don't carry with me. I showed him my Thai drivers licence, which has my passport number on it. That was not good enough for the cunt. I then asked him if he could cancel my debit card. The prick would not do that either. I then asked him to ring the main Kasikorn office in Bangkok as I did not remember their number. He just refused to help and walked back to his desk.

We then drove back to our place in Jomtien as fast as possible to ring the Kasikorn bank office in Bangkok. They were very good and spoke excellent English, They immediately cancelled my lost debit card, stuck in the ATM at Laem Chababg and told me to go to my bank branch to get issued a new one. I did that and it cost 450 THB for the new card. The 450 THB means nothing to me, but it totally fucked up our trip to the Harbor Mall in Laem Chabang, a place I used to like to do shopping and to relax. I haven't been back there since that episode.

The mistake I made was using the debit card with most of my Thai money in it. I should have used my wife's card or our joint account with a lot less funds in them. You have to be on the ball all of the time in a place like Thailand.

I know you live there and I'm glad for the information and will keep it for when I can live as you do. For all of my ten trips from the US I have brought cash. Every morning I go to the exchange on Soi Burkow down the street from the Ugly Duck and exchange money for 14400 B for the day. If I spend it good for me. If I don't I save it for the last days of my trip. Works for me never had trouble leaving the US or entering LOS. Just a thought. ))

Most of you are getting off cheap is all it cost you is 150/180 baht. I used to use a Citibank debit card. Those assholes charge 3 percent plus the Thai bank charge of 150 baht. Needless to say that I no longer use the Citibank card.

Most of you are getting off cheap is all it cost you is 150/180 baht. I used to use a Citibank debit card. Those assholes charge 3 percent plus the Thai bank charge of 150 baht. Needless to say that I no longer use the Citibank card.

Most ATM cards these days are debit cards and those are either Visa or MC. That being the case, people are paying a 3 percent foreign currency fee whether they realize it or not. You have to do some research and footwork to get a card that does not charge these fees.

For Thailand, cash seems to be the best bet these days, especially after the recent closure of many of Amex's travel offices. That's where I would get $500 denomination TCs fee-free.

I have bank accounts in Thailand and can stash money there, but people who do not can explore the various methods of keeping cash safe - sometimes in plain view.

• 1 month later...

Bad news. Apparently Aeon are now charging the 150 Baht ATM fee for non-Aeon cards.

To the best of my knowledge that only leaves Citibank with fee free withdrawals. I’ll check it out when I’m in BKK next week.

Again to the best of my knowledge, there are no Citibank ATMs in Pattaya, but there are a couple in the BKK Citibank branch, handily positioned on the corner of Sukhumvit and Ashok near Soi Cowboy.

All SCB ATMs will dispense 20,000 Baht in Pattaya and Bangkok

And charge you 180 baht.

Sorry I accidentally reactivated the 20,000 Baht discussion in this thread - it was just to highlight (in my post #32) that Aeon has recently introduced an ATM fee and this was the most recent thread saying that Aeon machines were fee free.

Edited by DrPat

My last trip, I only intended going to LOS for a month or so to see the new born Baby of my then 'Girlfriend.' It turned into an eighteen month trip. Three in LOS followed by a year in AC and then another three months in LOS on my way home to Blighty.

I had a Thai bank account with ATM card which I had set up on a previous trip in order to transfer funds from a UK account to eliminate ATM fees. I never used it on the last trip. I got on the piss and that was the end of that! Every time I hit the ATM I said to myself that I really ought to transfer a wedge from England to my Thai bank account but I never did... because I was on the piss and thought 'no point because I'll be back home next week. Not worth the hassle for a few Quid.'

I was hitting an ATM almost every day, sometimes twice a day for 18 months. 150 Baht every time in LOS. I think 250 Peso in the Philippines but I can't remember exactly. Plus the bank charges at the UK end which I don't remember now either.

I've never checked my bank statements to see just how much I spent on that tour because the shock of seeing it might be enough to prevent me from doing it again, lol. I just like to think of it as money well spent. What would I have done with the money otherwise? Something material no doubt. Fuck that!

Just doing a rough calculation on ATM fees for the 18 months at 150 Baht/Day, forgetting the higher charges of the Philippines and all the UK charges...

547 X 150 = 82,050 Baht. The exchange rate then was @ 46 Baht/GBP so @ 1,784 Quid :banghead

Fuck me, if I think how much money I gave for tips I'd probably shoot myself :yikes:

Damn, 82 shortimes on Soi 6 that I gave to the banks!

• Upvote 1