Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Do you have a preference what time you fly?

I have a preference for what time I arrive!

At the UK end, mornings, quite early. Time to get a train, home, shower, a cup of tea, then down town to the bank and a lunchtime pint or two.

Landing in Bangkok, similar time, but maybe to get back to Pattaya and into the AC for a nap.

Edited by jacko

For me it's a no brainer but hard to do. What is most common is a ~30 hour ordeal door to door. I wake up at 7 am and leave at 8 for a 10 am flight which has me in a BKK hotel about Midnight the following day with little energy to do much. I miss a day of work and can't start off ready to enjoy myself. A better trip was a similar flight to Manila where I was able to take a late flight after work and arrived about noon or so in Manila. I felt like I got an extra day for the trip and didn't have to waste a hotel the first night.

Most US carriers leave mid-day and with a change in NRT arrive BKK late evening (or near midnight)
With some chemical help I manage to sleep almost all of the way to NRT (10 + hours)
From NRT to BKK not so much.
Arrive Pattaya a 1AM, find a LT in about 1 hour and after some hanky-panky, some more sleep.
Wake her up early in the morning for more hanky-panky and my clock is 95% set for Pattaya time.

That schedule suits me and my sycorian rhythm.

I fly around 100,000 miles a year, for myself far easier if the long flights are overnight travelling either West to East or vice-versa. Daytime flights I find really hard to sleep on, with the subsequent sleep disruption for a few days afterwards.

Regards

Please help me with an overnight flight from Europe to USA.

I've yet to find one

Well -5hrs time shift (EST) makes that difficult but 8pm LHR-JFK (BA 183)

I personally try to avoid the midnight - 0230 scrummage out of Bangkok to Europe, even if it means a slightly longer stopover in one of the middle east lounges. If I am using hotels in Pattaya, I've invariably had problems moving into a permanent room prior to1400, so would look for arrivals between midday and 1800.

Edited by Fatboyfat

Most US carriers leave mid-day and with a change in NRT arrive BKK late evening (or near midnight)

With some chemical help I manage to sleep almost all of the way to NRT (10 + hours)

From NRT to BKK not so much.

Arrive Pattaya a 1AM, find a LT in about 1 hour and after some hanky-panky, some more sleep.

Wake her up early in the morning for more hanky-panky and my clock is 95% set for Pattaya time.

That schedule suits me and my sycorian rhythm.

Many of the Asian airlines have flights that leave the West Coast shortly after midnight and have you in BKK before Noon (+1). Cathay Pacific, EVA Air and China Air (Tawain) are the first three that come to mind. Of those three, Cathay Pacific (British owned*, BTW) is the best by far.

*http://www.swire.com/en/index.php

ANA will be starting a Haneda to BKK route that leaves like at 10:50 and arrives about 3:30 in the afternoon. Inasmuch as my visits to Ptty usually come after business in Tokyo, this is a good thing. O'Dark hundred departures or arrivals suck. If you're already in Tokyo, Haneda is easier to get to than narita. Bonus is that I miss the old and bitter flight attendants on United that staff the long haul trans-Pacific flights.

If you're coming from the states, or wherever, and can arrange your inbound flight to connect to this ANA flight, that would be a decent option.

The Friday 9-9.30 pm flights with EVA or Thai air are perfect for me - can charge for a work day Friday and still get to Heathrow - sleep on plane and be fresh on arrival.

can get to hotel, check-in, freshen up and be in the bars for the evening.

Going back on a Sunday and landing 7.30pm is OK get home 11pm and start work Monday - usually I make Monday my work from home day. ideally i would prefer to get back 4pm and have enough time to wind down.

Many of the Asian airlines have flights that leave the West Coast shortly after midnight and have you in BKK before Noon (+1). Cathay Pacific, EVA Air and China Air (Tawain) are the first three that come to mind. Of those three, Cathay Pacific (British owned*, BTW) is the best by far.

*http://www.swire.com/en/index.php

Agree, but I still prefer the noon to midnight jurney from the US.

From Europe overnight is better

Edited by MrDK

Melbourne to BKK is nine hours (sorry to you 24hr+ guys :bhappy )

So the midnight flight from Melbourne, landing 6am local time (or 5am daylight saving aus), out of suvi by 6.30ish... taxi to hotel by 8.30ish.. wait for room to be vacant by 10am and crash cause I can't sleep on a plane (can understand taking drugs for you 24hr+ guys) shit out the thai airways food and get stuck into Pattaya!!!

I arrange to arrive in BKK around noon, so I have time for a massage (etc) before starting on the evening’s entertainment. It’s on to Pattaya a day or two later.

I arrange to leave (from another day or two in BKK) in the early hours, so I can spend the evening in Soi Cowboy, then I have few anaesthetics on the plane and cry myself to sleep at the prospect of going home.

Out of all the trips I've taken to LOS, 7 have been on the red eye. The food is much better too when it came to breakfast. Sorry EVA but your dinners sucked. The only time I left in the afternoon, I was jetlagged for 2 days upon my arrival, and for a week on my return.

I used to like the non-stop Thai air flights from either JFK or LAX. The LAX flight used to leave in the early evening and arrive in BKK in the early morning, as I recall. Not a bad time to arrive, except that it's sometime hard to check into a hotel early in the morning without paying extra. The JFK flight left early afternoon, and got to BKK late the next afternoon. A better time. Of course, both flights no longer exist.

Typically, I'm now stuck with a regular flight on a US carrier such as Delta, and, after a stop in Japan, I usually get to BKK around midnight. That's OK, but I'm pretty much wasted after 30 hours and just want to sleep.

TG472 out of Sydney. Leaves Sydney 17.05 and gets to BKK at 22.35. Approximately 2 1/2 hrs later I'm ensconced in RG, ready to start the fun :bj4

There is an earlier flight at 10.00, howver, that involves an overnight stay in Sydney, the cost of which covers two nights stay in RG, so I'd rather take the later flight! :thumbup

Edited by goldeni

I'm coming from the US west coast, and prefer t the evening departures that get into Bangkok in the late morning on JAL or Cathay.

Because of upgrades/miles, I usually end up on a connecting American flight to someplace else in the states that then connects to Tokyo, which then switches to JAL and arrives at about 11PM.

Awful schedule, but since I can upgrade a couple of those free each year to business (up to Tokyo -- still in the back of the bus from there to Bangkok), it's worth it a lot of the time.