Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

10k seems way over the top. I know Residence Garden does not require one. Did you book during Christmas/New Years? I can see where they might want one but even then it would be too much to for ask 10k. That would cover 1 week at alot of places.

Do you mean a booking deposit or a deposit when you arrive?

Some places I stayed at on a special monthly rate required me to pay up-front.

I can understand them doing it though, you are requiring them to reserve the room for a month and if you were a no-show they might be stuck with an empty room.

Mostly I book with a credit card, but 1 nights stay is taken at booking and can be lost if I am a no-show.

I found that a few hotels that used to happily just swipe your card for security, and charge in full at the end of the stay, had changed last year, and now require the payment in advance. However, they all let me pay in whatever period I chose. (I generally opted for weekly payments for any longer stays).

We stayed at the Rayong Marriott this trip, they took a 20k deposit, but didn't refund it upon check out, instead it took 10 days for it to go back into my account. Thus frantic calls to the Customer service people and the Bank because I thought they'd scammed the money.

Unless it was a High End Global franchise i wouldnt pay it, i wouldnt trust any hotel in Pattaya to refund 10,000 baht cash.

If i can control the situation eg it comes out of my credit card and i can dispute it with my provider or I can lodge a complaint with a head office, then no way.

If its paying up front then its a different matter

Edited by nus01

Unless was a place I knew well, I'm not sure I'd be willing to give them such a large deposit. Come to think of it, the only hotel in Thailand that I ever gave a "deposit" to was the JW Marriott in Bangkok, and that was an unusual circumstance. I hadn't informed my credit card companies that I would be traveling to Thailand, and so when I tried to use my cards, they were "frozen" by the banks. Fortunately, I had travelers checks with me and paid for my room, in advance, with those.

When I stay at guest houses, I usually pay each month in advance, once I check in, if I know how long I'm going to be staying. I guess that's different than paying a deposit.

Edited by js007

maybe iv got the wrong end of the stick

i tiik it to mean you had to pay 10.000 bt as well as the 15.000 for the month

if the 10.000 is part of the 15.000 thats not bad as i always pay totalupfront

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - "they raised your awareness" - Dificult to deal with the pay to the hotel - Suggestion: Agree/Suggest to pay on a weekly Basis.

And arrange the pay for Room to be minimal on Checkout. Hotel then assured to the pay from your creditcard..

Consider Hotel into some kind of "Management Sort Cash/Cashflow-Problem"

-

Tips for Maids :: 40 Baht

-

Pattaya - Try Apex Hotel - You don't need more - myfriend - Sure - 100 procent....

The Sabai group now wants payment in full at the time of making an online booking. I have been booking for a period of a month usually and book 2 or 3 months in advance. I worry that if there is a health or family emergency after paying a non refundable deposit I will be screwed. Has not happened yet but I would resent the hotel profiting by 34,000baht and being able to rent the room again.

The Sabai group now wants payment in full at the time of making an online booking. I have been booking for a period of a month usually and book 2 or 3 months in advance. I worry that if there is a health or family emergency after paying a non refundable deposit I will be screwed. Has not happened yet but I would resent the hotel profiting by 34,000baht and being able to rent the room again.

Last time I stayed at the Sabai Lodge, they just swiped my credit card when I arrived. Six weeks later, they finally put through the final charges. I'm not so sure I'd want to pay the full six weeks in advance, though. One time in Thailand, I did have to leave on short notice for a family emergency back home. That could be expensive if you'd already paid for a long period, in advance.

I would have told them that I didn't want to buy the room and that I just wanted to rent it. There is no doubt in my mind that I'd walk away and not look back.

Last time I stayed at the Sabai Lodge, they just swiped my credit card when I arrived. Six weeks later, they finally put through the final charges. I'm not so sure I'd want to pay the full six weeks in advance, though. One time in Thailand, I did have to leave on short notice for a family emergency back home. That could be expensive if you'd already paid for a long period, in advance.

Old habits die hard, mostly avoided paying by CC as there was always a 2-3% surcharge due to currency change, but more importantly was worried by the possibility of CC fraud, which used to be rampant in Eastern countries.

not through booking.com they dont , however you still need to be pay upfront.on arrival

In saying that i stayed for 15 days in September in a block of 7 which i paid upfront i then told them the night before checkout ill extend for another 8 days and ill pay you in the morning they just said pay when checking out is fine.

I still don't have a problem paying for things upfront its a 10000 baht deposit i have issues with

I never use a credit card unless absolutely necessary. A couple of years ago, I made reservations for myself and two of my friends. This was at a Sabai hotel on Soi Buakow. I went ahead and paid the day in advance with my credit card. Bank of America has an option for a one time use number and a set amount. I always set the amount a few dollars above the actual charge. When we checked in, we explained that we would pay for the extra days in cash when we checked out which we did. Sure enough the hotel tried to charge above the authorized credit card amount and of course the charge bounced. I never heard any more about it and they never did collect the authorized amount. We ended up getting that first day free.

Paying deposits, all in advance or all on arrival is crazy. Good hotels do not need to do that. Guests should not do it either.

I use Hotels.com and prepay when I am in a McDonalds on wi-fi and the hotel is 30 minutes away, because I know I am arriving and they have good prices and free stays every 10.

Pattaya, the Rg has no such requirement so stay there or something similar.

What if you hate it, or it's full and prepaid and you have to get the money back or some other issue?