Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Good Movies / TV Shows

I just finished Taboo season 1. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, the scenery, costumes, characters, are all as one would imagine in early 19th century London. The plot, subplots, and their resolution were more contrived than I like, but still worth my time.

Tom Hardy's character was amazing. I started to get tired of it towards the end, but the lengths he went to to personalize this brooding, complex, tortured man were quite an accomplishment and were very effective.

Good news, by the way, is that season 2 will pick up where season 1 left off, and I can imagine that will be even more interesting and bizarre. Rumored release date is not set yet.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HBO announced the Deadwood movie premieres May 31, 2019 !!! https://www.hbo.com/deadwood/movie-what-to-know-so-far  

I had a few days of business in Las Vegas this week.  So we headed out early last Friday, 19 to spend a nice weekend where it is warm (been unseasonably cold here in S Cal the last few months.  Barely

Here's another Thai advert, notice the guy has a bottle of fish sauce next to his rice, one of the simple meals poor people eat.  

Posted Images

Taboo keeps me curious, especially as relates to James Delaney's time in Africa. I want to see more as relates to the occult.

I am not a big fan of Hardy except for The Revenant. In Taboo he kind of mumbles his way through the scenes and I have turned on the captioning even though I do not have hearing issues.

I was not impressed with the escape fight. They sure got that ship out to sea fast under fire.

I enjoyed Jonathan Pryce. He is always great.

I have to agree with MM on the sets, scenery and costumes that gave the feel of early 19th century London, especially the waterfront.

I too look forward to season two.

I agree with you both regarding Taboo, it was let down slightly by the speed that the ship managed to leave dock, plus I also felt that the series might have been one episode too long. Other than that I really enjoyed it and it made a break from the norm.

There's a new series debuting in the UK soon called "genius" about Einstein, starring Geoffrey Rush (Pirates of the Carribean) in the lead role. Better still, Ron Howard has directed an episode (only one so far ) but it seems to be getting good reviews.

I've totally dropped "Legion" just couldn't get into it.

for my non fantasy fix I'm watching "Mountain Men" on discovery. As always with scripted reality astuff it is unecessarily dramatised but I ind it enjoyable viewing, and as my leg is now fucked and I'm looking at an 8 week recovery period, I think I'll get time to watch pretty much everything on my list.

Agree with Butch on Legion. I am finding the TV shows based on comic books do not work as well as movies based on that genre.

I just finished season 3 of The Americans.

The season of belief systems and a rat fink daughter. I am less pleased with the show than I was but will start season 4 this week.

SPOILER ALERT:

So, started watching season 5 of The Americans

They go to a biowarfare facility to retrieve samples from a dead body.

The facility has a simple chain link fence with a mobile perimeter guard every 20 minutes? THESE ARE DEADLY PATHOGENS. Their security was no better than Scofield Barracks (25th Infantry) when I was there.

The they dig up a body infected with Lassa hemorrhagic fever. THEY ARE WEARING RUBBER GLOVES

They dig up the body and they smell the putrid remains.

DUH! Olfactory molecules are larger than VIRAL PATHOGENS.

If you can smell the remains you are smelling the virus.

Seasons one and two excellent. Seasons three and four tainted by teeny bopper silly storylines.

Season five starts off with this nonsense????????????

Don't bother.

TWD has really suffered in the last 2 eps, it's going nowhere fast. We've seen one ep with Rick and michonne finding loads of weapons, food and ammo and an awful cgi deer, only to hand a chunk of them over to the people at the scrapyard, along with a brief interlude at the Kingdom with a very weak storyline.

We then have a Sasha / Rosita love-in where all is forgiven for shagging ginger chops. Then Sasha, instead of doing what a sniper would do, such as waiting, misses one opportunity then decides to enter a hostile compound armed with a sniper rifle and 2 bullets. The episode was awful, in fact the only redeeming character was Simon from the Saviours in the Hilltop.

There is no possible way there are any spoilers for these 2 episodes, as they're crap enough as it is. 2 Episodes left and I think we all know what's going to happen.

• Upvote 1

Just started watching SIX last night and finished first 3 episodes. I'm impressed!

I didn't finish the pilot. Maybe I will try again tonight. Strange because I like this type of show generally and I am a fan of Walton Goggins.

I didn't finish the pilot. Maybe I will try again tonight. Strange because I like this type of show generally and I am a fan of Walton Goggins.

I finished the 8 episodes last night, and I found it to have all the elements of a good series...thoughtful and realistic dialogue, good characterizations, realistic family relationships with the associated problems of being unavailable much of the time, lots of good action, good casting.

I was interested in all the equipment these guys carried into action, their use of it. It seemed realistic, though I'm not knowledgeable on modern wargear.

I also liked what I considered a fairly even-handed approach to the politics of the story.

Just a damned good series, IMHO.

I just started watching 'Breaking Bad'....

The pilot I really enjoyed and I had great hopes, although the second episode disappointed me. I shall continue as the recommendation came from a friend.

I just started watching 'Breaking Bad'....

The pilot I really enjoyed and I had great hopes, although the second episode disappointed me. I shall continue as the recommendation came from a friend.

It is a great series. You need to give a little time for the characters to interact. There are lots of side stories and interactions.

I finished the 8 episodes last night, and I found it to have all the elements of a good series...thoughtful and realistic dialogue, good characterizations, realistic family relationships with the associated problems of being unavailable much of the time, lots of good action, good casting.

I was interested in all the equipment these guys carried into action, their use of it. It seemed realistic, though I'm not knowledgeable on modern wargear.

I also liked what I considered a fairly even-handed approach to the politics of the story.

What I did see of the weaponry was consistent with some of what I was familiar with i the service.

Of course, they have made a lot of improvements in 45 years.

I will be on it tonight.

Do you watch it on the History channel website or through a streaming service on the TV?

What I did see of the weaponry was consistent with some of what I was familiar with i the service.

Of course, they have made a lot of improvements in 45 years.

I will be on it tonight.

Do you watch it on the History channel website or through a streaming service on the TV?

Neither. I automatically download dozens of series episodes using a Synology NAS and then watch at my leisure.

Everything I download is HD quality, and likely better than streaming.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Neither. I automatically download dozens of series episodes using a Synology NAS and then watch at my leisure.

cool.

How did you set it up to do it automatically ?

I watched episode two of Six and the weaponry was very sophisticated.

When I was in the service, starlight scopes were being introduced. Today each member of the team can have a night vision goggle set. The guns on the show had what appear to be laser sights. We didn't have anything like that in my day.

I found this link to Seal Team Six weaponry.

http://www.americanspecialops.com/devgru/weapons/