Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Gomorrah - Italian mobsters (downloadable)

Back to movies and series...if you can handle foreign videos with subtitles and you like mafia style movies, I most highly recommend "Gomorra", a gritty, violent, realistic look at the inner workings of street mafia in Naples and other parts of Italy. These are the real deal, the real guys, the original Mafia, and they have no inhibitions when it comes to getting what they want.

The series (2 seasons so far) is difficult to get off the usual sites, and so, as a convenience to friends, I have zipped up the seasons in two directories in my Dropbox. You can download each season's zip file from this link

If you want to view a particular episode, e.g. look at episode 1 season 1 to see if you like it, you can find the individual episode files at this link. You will need to download two files associated with each episode, one ending in .mkv, and the other ending in .srt. The first is the movie file and the second is the subtitle file. Some of the movie files have subtitles built in, so if you have duplicate/similar subtitles, you will need to choose one with your player. I know it is a hassle, but it is well worth it once you get into the story line.

I'd be interested in any feedback or opinions on this series. As one reviewer for the Boston Herald said

Gomorrah is The Sopranos on steroids, presented here in Italian with subtitles and minus any symbolism about ducks, mommy issues or a fretful therapist. Honestly, the mobsters here would think Tony was a wuss and would put a bullet between his eyes

• Upvote 4

Well thanks for the Gomorrah link which I downloaded yesterday, looking forward to it. Rather absent-mindedly I downloaded it to my little Asus pad, and of course there isn't enough mrmory space on it to unzip it there! Then I got into a bit of Laurel and Hardy trying to figure out what to do next. Don't have any big enough thumb drives...been a while since I bought one! Tried external disc... needs a double USB power connection and my small pad only has one. So got fed up and had a beer.

It took over an hour to download, so I expect transferring it over my wireless network to my laptop will be quite a wait... I shall try my other external disc first!

Now of course I cannot play it from the laptop to TV as my lightening strike fried the HDMI port...... so I ask, when I unzip it on the laptop, are there separate files per episode that I can move around easily?

Edited by jacko

Well thanks for the Gomorrah link which I downloaded yesterday, looking forward to it. Rather absent-mindedly I downloaded it to my little Asus pad, and of course there isn't enough mrmory space on it to unzip it there! Then I got into a bit of Laurel and Hardy trying to figure out what to do next. Don't have any big enough thumb drives...been a while since I bought one! Tried external disc... needs a double USB power connection and my small pad only has one. So got fed up and had a beer.

It took over an hour to download, so I expect transferring it over my wireless network to my laptop will be quite a wait... I shall try my other external disc first!

Now of course I cannot play it from the laptop to TV as my lightening strike fried the HDMI port...... so I ask, when I unzip it on the laptop, are there separate files per episode that I can move around easily?

When you unzip the package you downloaded, there will be a main directory and then 2 season directories underneath.

In each season directory there are groups of files with the name containing "SssEee" where "ss" is the season number and "ee" is the episode number within the season.

In those groups of files for any episode, you only need the video file which usually ends with .mkv and perhaps the subtitle file which ends with .srt. just copy those two files to your pad to capture a specific episode.

If the video file has embedded subtitles, and you copy the .srt file to the same directory, you will probably see two sets of subtitles on your screen. If that happens delete the .srt file and use the embedded subtitles.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Gomorrah is being downloaded as I type. Thanks MM!. That'll fill the empty space left by TWD.

On the subject of TWD, S08 is now 2 episodes in and it is utter shite. The last episode (S08E02) was comical, like an A team episode but with worse acting, a weaker script and more predictable. Sorry to say it but I'm pretty much done with TWD now, it's going nowhere and the script / direction is just apalling.

Edited by Butch

When you unzip the package you downloaded, there will be a main directory and then 2 season directories underneath.

In each season directory there are groups of files with the name containing "SssEee" where "ss" is the season number and "ee" is the episode number within the season.

In those groups of files for any episode, you only need the video file which usually ends with .mkv and perhaps the subtitle file which ends with .srt. just copy those two files to your pad to capture a specific episode.

If the video file has embedded subtitles, and you copy the .srt file to the same directory, you will probably see two sets of subtitles on your screen. If that happens delete the .srt file and use the embedded subtitles.

Thanks for all that, it has been an exercise of refreshing my old skills and figuring out the quirks of Windows. Unzipped them on a Win 7 PC, Played fine on Windows media player there, (I have some extra codecs in), subtitles and all. Moved some mkv across to the Win 10 pad.... played video and audio but no subtitles, again in media player. Tried moving some of the other (superfluous??) files over, like SRT, but that didn't help. Aha Kodi played them fine with subtitles, so that is what I will use. Looks like subtitles are embedded in the mkv file, learned by getting curious.!

Old age, problems are to be circumvented not solved!

Thanks...

Yes, it looks good, well directed and sets a good mood.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Gomorrah is being downloaded as I type. Thanks MM!. That'll fill the empty space left by TWD.

On the subject of TWD, S08 is now 2 episodes in and it is utter shite. The last episode (S08E02) was comical, like an A team episode but with worse acting, a weaker script and more predictable. Sorry to say it but I'm pretty much done with TWD now, it's going nowhere and the script / direction is just apalling.

I gotta agree wholeheartedly with you in the comments about S08E02. I couldn't tell who was fighting whom, what the plan was, it was utter mishmash. When you compare the battle scenes in GOT with this abortive attempt at action and battle staging, you have to shake your head.

I don't know where they are going with this or what the plan is...there's no real suspense, only confusion that would take more effort to resolve than I have patience for. I'll continue to download it, and might watch it later, but it's not something I look forward to weekly anymore.

Hi,

watched first episode of Gomorrah and thought couldn't be bothered with subtitles.When I got

into it thought it was great.Waiting for the new season.

Scottie

I used to think that about subtitles but then I got mild, intermittant tinnitus in one ear and often use subtitles now even for English language TV and movies. You get used to it. I don't find I miss much. I missed much more before.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

watched first episode of Gomorrah and thought couldn't be bothered with subtitles.When I got

into it thought it was great.Waiting for the new season.

Scottie

You understand Italian? I definitely require subtitles for foreign language films, like Peaky Blinders :P

• Upvote 1

I finished season one of Gomorrah. I sure have learned a lot about Naples and Italian policing and Italian mobs. Great show. There are so many characters you love to hate.

MM? Early Genny. Reminded me of "Gomer Pyle" D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket. Salvatore Esposito looks a lot like him.

• Upvote 2

I finished season one of Gomorrah. I sure have learned a lot about Naples and Italian policing and Italian mobs. Great show. There are so many characters you love to hate.

MM? Early Genny. Reminded me of "Gomer Pyle" D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket. Salvatore Esposito looks a lot like him.

Season 2 gets right back into it. BTW, season 3 starts next week IIRC.

• Upvote 1

I split this discussion from the good movies thread so it wouldn't get lost among the other movies being discussed.

So, has anyone finished season 2 yet?

I split this discussion from the good movies thread so it wouldn't get lost among the other movies being discussed.

So, has anyone finished season 2 yet?

Two nights ago. Amazing. I don't want to say more.

I was a fan of HBO's The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire but they were melodramas compared to Gomorrah.

• Upvote 1

I just did a search for Gamorrah with Roku which searches the web for titles. Gomorrah, seasons 1 & 2 show available on Netflix, no charge and Amazon for a charge.

I streamed it from Netflix. I have the TV connected to my modem.

As far as I can tell, Gomorrah on Netflix is not licensed for play in Thailand.

Now if you have a decent VPN that can trick Netflix's "geoblocking" and VPN blocking, you can watch it in Thailand.

What's TWD?

As far as I can tell, Gomorrah on Netflix is not licensed for play in Thailand.

Now if you have a decent VPN that can trick Netflix's "geoblocking" and VPN blocking, you can watch it in Thailand.

I downloaded Series 1 of Gomorrah (7.18 GBs) complete with subtitles off Pirate Bay. No VPN required.

I downloaded Series 1 of Gomorrah (7.18 GBs) complete with subtitles off Pirate Bay. No VPN required.

That is nice :-)

But it can not really be any easier than using the Dropbox link Martin kindly gave us

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

That is nice :-)

But it can not really be any easier than using the Dropbox link Martin kindly gave us

I did not claim it was any easier but I did not have to use any drop box link to do it. I've also since downloaded Series 2 of Gomorrah with subtitles using Pirate Bay, I did not have to do a thing, PB did it all for me. What could be easier than that?

And while we're at it would you kindly stop displaying my IP address for every cunt and his cousin to see. I've asked you politely to do so before but you've ignored my request so would you fucking well stop doing it!

And FYI I'm not using Firefox.

I did not claim it was any easier but I did not have to use any drop box link to do it. I've also since downloaded Series 2 of Gomorrah with subtitles using Pirate Bay, I did not have to do a thing, PB did it all for me. What could be easier than that?

And while we're at it would you kindly stop displaying my IP address for every cunt and his cousin to see. I've asked you politely to do so before but you've ignored my request so would you fucking well stop doing it!

I thought this was explained to you once before.

Only you see your IP address, we all see our own.

It got my operating system wrong.

Calm down.

Nobody sees your IP but you - it is just a silly signature :-)

It is good that you are happy with PB.

I do however know that there is a lot of nasty stuff cleverly masked as popular stuff on the torrents so in my view it is safer (and at LEAST just as easy) to download from a friend.

Calm down.

Nobody sees your IP but you - it is just a silly signature :-)

It is good that you are happy with PB.

I do however know that there is a lot of nasty stuff cleverly masked as popular stuff on the torrents so in my view it is safer (and at LEAST just as easy) to download from a friend.

You apparently have to download Drop box and sign in when you use it. On PB you just type in the title and away it goes. What could be easier than that. No signing in nor registering is required.

Admittedly the downloading can take a long time in Thailand if you have a poor internet connection but in the UK with an out fit like Virgin Media films and series will take just minutes to be recorded onto Utorrent of Vuze and sometimes in the cases of soap opera episodes less than a minute.

You apparently have to download Drop box and sign in when you use it. On PB you just type in the title and away it goes. What could be easier than that. No signing in nor registering is required.

Admittedly the downloading can take a long time in Thailand if you have a poor internet connection but in the UK with an out fit like Virgin Media films and series will take just minutes to be recorded onto Utorrent of Vuze and sometimes in the cases of soap opera episodes less than a minute.

I didn't....... unusual these days yes.