Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Economy vs Premium

I'm really glad I opted for biz class to London and back, picked up a stinking chesty cold 4 days before flying back, but was able to cough and splutter pretty much to myself. From the cabin sounds, I wasn't the only one with the bug. No way that I could have slept in economy.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:56 PM, Butch said:

Not sure whereabouts in the UK you're heading for, but Emirates now fly into Stansted, there's a pretty decent train service between there and Colchester, and also a lot of National Express coaches drop at Stansted then go on to Heathrow / Gatwick.

Is loungebuddy any good?. I had a pass for the Miracle lounge at Suvarnabhumi, it was bloody excellent, showers, beer, food and of course wine plus they're not strict on the time spent there either.

I have just checked Loungebuddy for my sons and LHR lounges are now nearer 40 quid than the 25 quid I mentioned in my earlier reply - I'd have to drink ALOT of wine to pay that much...!!!!

• Thanks 1

Because I am trying to get 4 trips each year from New Zealand to Thailand and I have domestic travel to add on to the cost I simply could not afford to fly other than Economy. I have however found a few tricks that help. I am always last or near last on the plane and often snag the emergency exit seats or an empty row of 3. Two days ago I wasn't so lucky but told a lady who had 3 seats to herself to move over so I got one and a half seats. I rarely fail to improve the situation. I also spent $5 with a prescription from my doctor on some quality sleeping pills which in addition to a couple of glasses of red wine give me some sleep. Don't get me wrong. I would always fly superior if I could afford to but I can't and I would much rather have a fourth month in Thailand than cut it to 3 and upgrade. If you're retired and want /need to stretch your dollars you need to be realistic. When I was in the work force I could alway rely on money coming in on a regular basis but retirement means that you have the time but not always enough to make luxury purchases which is what Economy or Business is.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Teelack I don't suppose you know the name of the pills do you?.

I have used Zopiclone in the past but it leaves a horrid mettalic taste in my mouth. To sleep during the day I take melatonin (strawberry flavoured - yummy) but it gives me really weired dreams, in fact in some cases very lucid and frightening ones. I also can't take any Benzodiazepenes as they're forbidden at work, and Mrs Butch would go bonkers if I contemplated using them.

Back onto topic, I see EVA are having a 30th anniversary sale up until the end of November, anyone checked the prices to see if this is like their other sales, i.e not a sale at all?.

52 minutes ago, Butch said:

Back onto topic, I see EVA are having a 30th anniversary sale up until the end of November, anyone checked the prices to see if this is like their other sales, i.e not a sale at all?.

Thanks for the heads up on EVA....The prices do seem cheaper ..... November 5th might have added significance this year...!!!!

EDIT = KLM are coming in cheapest for my dates at the moment though...

Edited by Bullfrog
12 hours ago, Butch said:

Teelack I don't suppose you know the name of the pills do you?.

I have used Zopiclone in the past but it leaves a horrid mettalic taste in my mouth. To sleep during the day I take melatonin (strawberry flavoured - yummy) but it gives me really weired dreams, in fact in some cases very lucid and frightening ones. I also can't take any Benzodiazepenes as they're forbidden at work, and Mrs Butch would go bonkers if I contemplated using them.

Butch. Yes your correct. Zopiclone. I admit to using them with a couple of red wines and end up with the horrible taste of cheap red in my mouth! Can you advise me but is Melotinin readily available over the counter? do you get pills or liquid? Never tried it but anything to give me a sleep would be a great help. 

9 hours ago, nkped said:

Looking around, discovered that China Airlines has premium economy on their A350 and 777 aircraft.

I could have booked a ticket at least $200 cheaper using one of the Chinese airlines,. The issue for me is connecting flights and this is where they are of little use. The other issue is that the vast majority of flights had unacceptable lay overs in China and stretched the flight times right out. IF however the times and flight schedule fit with your needs there is nothing wrong with them. 

13 hours ago, teelack said:

Butch. Yes your correct. Zopiclone. I admit to using them with a couple of red wines and end up with the horrible taste of cheap red in my mouth! Can you advise me but is Melotinin readily available over the counter? do you get pills or liquid? Never tried it but anything to give me a sleep would be a great help. 

Hi Teelack , Melatonin is best to get online in tablet form, I opt for 3mg, one usually gives me 5 hours of solid sleep coupled with odd dreams both dropping off and upon waking. You might feel a bit "groggy" for the first half hour of waking up, usually remedied by a decent cup of coffee. You can get 5mg tablets, but I found that I don't get to sleep any longer, and just feel fuzzy headed upon waking.

They do work well for sleeping on a plane, EVA serves food 2 hours after take off, so before eating I take one, then I get myself as comfortable as possible using a travel pillow, blanket and cushion under the small of my back, recline the seat to the max and nod off. They're also helpful in resetting your body clock, instead of waking up in the early hours after a trip from SEA back to the UK, I'll go to bed at my normal time and take half a tablet when I inevitably wake up at 0300 so I get to continue my sleep.

Don't take them if you're pregnant or breastfeeding though lol.

What about diazepam (Valium)?
Is that not good for sleeping too?
Or maybe the "date-rape drug" if it is possible to get that?

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Odense said:

One time I was on a 17 hour non-stop flight to Bangkok.  I talked to some girl at the gate and then I didn't see her again for the whole flight until the baggage claim.  She said she slept for all but 1/2 hour of the flight by using some Xanax.  Maybe you can get a prescription for that?

One time I was on a 17 hour non-stop flight to Bangkok.  I talked to some girl at the gate and then I didn't see her again for the whole flight until the baggage claim.  She said she slept for all but 1/2 hour of the flight by using some Xanax.  Maybe you can get a prescription for that?
I have tried Xanax. The one time I had 3 seats and could semi lie down it worked. The other couple of times where I only had my own seat it didn't work. I think for those times on a full plane it will be difficult to find something effective (for me).

On 9/8/2019 at 1:51 PM, Odense said:

My gp gave me some Temazapan once, as I understand it its diazepam with a sleeping pill added.

It worked , but boy did I suffer for the next few days.... something about it's half life...

Then of course there was the time when i had one too many g+ts before taking one, and just felt hyper active all flight....

On 9/8/2019 at 8:01 PM, js007 said:

If I took something which knocked me out that effectively, I would be afraid I would wake up to discover Joe Kicker had replaced St Peter.