Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hotel Selection Pattaya apparently not guest friendly

Enticed by big discounts on Agoda and location, I was considering Hotel Selection (Beach Road) for my upcoming stay in November.
I sent them a message to ask about their guest policy if I book a double room.
I got this reply:
Dear guest, Joiner charge @ 1,000THB.

So I will look elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, teelack said:

Good information. Anyone else been advised of a joiner fee in Pattaya? I have been hit in Phuket but never in Pattaya.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Used to be quite common in the bigger places, I am going back to my early days when I didn't know my way around and had a fear of arriving without a hotel booking, so I would book and pay in advance at an agent in Bangkok. I was soon a regular at some less salubrious places that didn't have a joiner fee! Some that did were real asses about it, had security knocking on my door asking for the 500 baht because it was late morning and they judged I owed for the next (that) day! Also Merlin (now Hard Rock) used to hit you for 500 for their crappy small rooms. I remember moving out of one place and chucking away 3/4 prepaid days, non-refundable Thai style... it was cheaper to pay for a new room. Became a Lek Hotel regular or Lido Beach, then Residence Garden. 

The hotel reviews section was popular here and I bet most were checking for joiner fees. Nowadays it is joiner fees and whether they have certain coach parties arriving there!

The only time anyone has tried to charge me a joiner fee was when I stayed in a family oriented resort in Jomtein. I had a room that was accessed without passing through the lobby. The security guard followed me and my girl  to the room and asked for 500bt. I refused. When we went to breakfast they asked for 500bt so she could eat. I pointed out i had paid for 2 people in a double room but they insisted.

We had a much cheaper breakfast elsewhere and i moved out that morning.

I hadnt checked out the place before i booked. They didnt want old farang bringing girls there as they catered to thai family groups. No point staying where you are not wanted, there are plenty of other places who welcome you

There are a few decent Hotels catering for Indians now, one tip to use is have a look on Trip Advisor in the "reviews" section, if most of the names are indian and reviews done by guys from the subcontinent, it's a good bet the hotel will be popular with them. Bella Express near the Little Duck being one example and the Centara being another.

Edited by Butch
6 hours ago, Butch said:

There are a few decent Hotels catering for Indians now, one tip to use is have a look on Trip Advisor in the "reviews" section, if most of the names are indian and reviews done by guys from the subcontinent, it's a good bet the hotel will be popular with them. Bella Express near the Little Duck being one example and the Centara being another.

Add the Mercure behind the Avenue on soi 15. If you like curry and slop for breakfast with guys standing in your way it would suit you fine. 

On 10/22/2019 at 10:13 PM, js007 said:

Someone needs to maintain a list of "girl friendly" hotels.  

Easier to set up a list of those that are not, to be honest. Even the Royal Cliff is guest friendly if you state your intentions right at the start in an assertive manner.

I think we have to differentiate between hotels which:

1. Won't allow a joiner at all

2. Will allow one joiner for an extra charge 

3. Will allow one joiner free, but charge for a second

4. Will allow one joiner free, but won't allow more 

5. etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Haven't done it in 4-5 years, but used to splurge and go to the Marriott on Sukhumvit in Bangkok for a couple of nights (convenient to Nana Plaza).  They had staff visible at the doors in the day time.  In the evening you didn't see them and a guest didn't seem to be a concern.

Out of interest and perhaps to highlight how quiet it is in Pattaya I've just booked a few days ago hotel in Soi 8 deluxe room (highest of the 3 options) for the staggering rate of just 628 Baht a night...... They were already on book 3 nights for price of 2 but then added a further 10% discount on final cost. Direct from Hotels own website yet again I might add throwing out this notion that the likes of Agoda are never beaten on price. Their price was 988 Baht same room

• Like 2