Jump to content
Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
Evil Penevil

When Will We See the Impossible Whopper in LOS? (Updated Dec. 6)

Recommended Posts

Burger King has rolled out a meatless, plant-based vegan hamburger in all 7,000 of it outlets in the U.S.

Impossible - Copy.jpg

IMPOSSIBLEA - Copy.JPG

McDonald's is experimenting with a meatless, plant-based burger in 28 restaurants in Ontario, Canada.

PBT.jpg

McD's already has a "McVegan"in Finland and Sweden and its proved bery popular.  However,  the vegan patty is made by a local Swedish company and isn't the same as the "Beyond Meat" patty used in the P.L.T. 

McVegan.jpg

The McVegan is fairly recent, but McDonald's has had vegetarian burgers in India, Sweden,  Israel and some other countries for a number of years. In Thailand, Big Burger already has a vegetarian Whopper.   They don't taste like beef burgers, though.  That's the new twist with the Impossible Whopper and the P.L.T.; they taste like beef patties.

Two companies in the U.S., one called Impossible Foods, the other Beyond Meat, have developed meatless patties that are supposed to closely resemble the appearance, texture and taste of an ordinary beef patty.  It's widely believed that large numbers of hamburger eaters won't switch to a plant-based burger unless it tastes the same as a beef burger.  There's a big debate about this in the U.S.  Some commentators claim people who are truly concerned about the environment and saving rain forests and cows won't eat in Burger King or McD's in any case because both still sell millions of beef burgers.  Optimistic types believe it could be an important baby step towards more responsible food production and consumption.

A number of U.S. food food chains and casual restaurants now offer plant-based burgers. In the U.S.,  Carl's Jr. and White Castle have been offering vegetarian and meat-tasting, plant-based burgers for awhile.

VegNews.CarlsJr5Beyond.jpg

White-Castle2-1.jpg

A few smaller chains like Hardee's and Red Robin also offer them, as well as restaurants like Hard Rock, TGIF, Chipolte, etc.  In Canada, A&W offers Beyond Meat Burgers as well as meatless breakfast sandwiches.  The Beyond Burgers have often been sold out.

AW - Copy.JPG

Nutritionally, the plant-based burgers aren't any better or worse than the beef burgers.  The big attraction of the Impossible Whopper is that it is sustainable and environmentally friendly.

"The Impossible Burger really stands out with its carbon footprint. It uses 95 percent less land and 74 percent less water, while creating 87 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than a beef option."   Link

Fad or real trend?  It's still too early to say.  But if McD's decides to add a plant-based burger to the menus in all 14,000 of its U.S. outlets (38,000 worldwise),  that would indeed be a major development.

EP note:  I read in a comment in reaction to this post on another board that Beyond Meat products have been available in Pattaya for about a month.  You can find Beyond Meat at Sizzler ...

sizzler.JPG

and the vegetarian-vegan restaurant Five-Star J at the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road, according to that poster.

 


Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried the Beyond Meat burgers from the grocery store.  They taste OK, although I don't really have a problem with cholesterol or cardiac calcification, so there's no good reason why I can't just eat meat.  But for someone who wants to not eat so much red meat, I'm sure they'd be fine.  

Edited by js007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My wife & I were in a restaurant last year on the north shore of Maui.  Windows open, traffic going by, a couple games on the TVs.  A lot of ambient noise....my wife is chatting away with the waitress (social butterfly-she will talk forever), I basically tune out and concentrate of something important like Pattaya Talk on my cellphone (or whatever).  I hear something like...."the burger is the best on the island, nobody every returns it".....wife says you want to try it?  I grunt yeah.  Halfway through eating it I remarked "This is a great burger".  Wife exclaims yes it is. I never thought you would like a vegetarian burger...  

I had no idea it was the "Impossible Burger" when I ordered.  Was amazed how good it was.  Could not tell it was not real meat!

There is a high end restaurant next door to our home where they serve it.  Not as good.  I assume it is like burgers everywhere.  Some places are better than others.

Edited by BigusDicus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For years, some restaurants have had vegetarian burgers.  A black bean burger, for example.  I have a friend who doesn't really eat meat because he's already had one heart attack and a stent.  They can taste pretty good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember my first visit to Thailand in 1992.  I ate at a fast food chain near the Nana intersection called Tikki Burger that featured a very spicy bean-based burger.  The restaurant was filled with Thai teenagers, I was the only farang, and the burger was so spicy I couldn’t finish it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the U.S. now and I have tried the Impossible Whopper.  I wasn't impressed. I don't think the plant-based burger tasted like a beef burger. Without the toppings, the Impossible Burger  didn't have any taste at all aside from the grill char marks.  The regular beef Whopper tasted like it always does- not great, but definitely an acceptable beef burger.

I had taken advantage of a Burger King special promotion called a Tasting Bundle.  You got an Impossible Whopper and a regular beef Whopper with cheese for $7.00, including free home delivery through DoorDash. That's a really low price for two burgers, not to mention free delivery.  It must be an attempt to win over new customers who normally wouldn't visit a BK outlet. The idea was to compare the burgers "side by side."

The burgers looked similar and both were heaped with lettuce, tomato and thick slices of raw onion, which I don't like at all.  The toppings were also slathered with mayonnaisse and ketchup.  Despite the similarities in appearance, I had no difficulty distinguishing between them even before I tasted them. The patty of the plant-based Whopper was a bit thinner and had a more even surface.  The char stripes were heavier as well.

I guess if you eat the Impossible Whopper with all the toppings and condiments, you might be able to convince yourself it's a regular Whopper. The "mouth feel" is approximately the same.  However, for me at least, Impossible Foods has a long way to go before it developes a plant-based patty with a convincing beef taste. 

Evil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

I'm in the U.S. now and I have tried the Impossible Whopper.  I wasn't impressed. I don't think the plant-based burger tasted like a beef burger. Without the toppings, the Impossible Burger  didn't have any taste at all aside from the grill char marks.  The regular beef Whopper tasted like it always does- not great, but definitely an acceptable beef burger.

I had taken advantage of a Burger King special promotion called a Tasting Bundle.  You got an Impossible Whopper and a regular beef Whopper with cheese for $7.00, including free home delivery through DoorDash. That's a really low price for two burgers, not to mention free delivery.  It must be an attempt to win over new customers who normally wouldn't visit a BK outlet. The idea was to compare the burgers "side by side."

The burgers looked similar and both were heaped with lettuce, tomato and thick slices of raw onion, which I don't like at all.  The toppings were also slathered with mayonnaisse and ketchup.  Despite the similarities in appearance, I had no difficulty distinguishing between them even before I tasted them. The patty of the plant-based Whopper was a bit thinner and had a more even surface.  The char stripes were heavier as well.

I guess if you eat the Impossible Whopper with all the toppings and condiments, you might be able to convince yourself it's a regular Whopper. The "mouth feel" is approximately the same.  However, for me at least, Impossible Foods has a long way to go before it developes a plant-based patty with a convincing beef taste. 

Evil

The patty on the Impossible burger I tried in Maui was much thicker than a Burger King patty would be.  My memory is it had grill marks as I applied the condiments.  As I mentioned previously I was not aware it was imitation meat.  Delicious!  I have since tried the Impossible at the restaurant next door to my home and another restaurant.  Nowhere near as tasty.  Both "burgers" prepared differently - condiments, buns varied, etc.  Neither restaurant a fast food place.  Point is I imagine quality and taste will vary with the Impossible just like real burgers.

Just saw my doctor Monday.  Blood tests came back good.  Cholesterol level good. (I do take Lipitor...)  I love meat, do not intend to give it up if I do not have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had cholesterol that was slightly above normal. I cut cheese from my diet (I love cheese cut straight from the block and would eat 1kg a week).  I dropped to well within normal and continued to eat everything as usual.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often wonder if I will one day return to living in the UK....reacquaint myself with sausages, savoury pies and cheeses, to never ever eat boiled rice again, and maybe not shrimp either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried it yet, but vegans are being warned that if you go to Burger King or another fast food restaurant, there will be cross-contamination since they are cooked on the same grill as their beef patties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yujin, good reminder. I am not a vegan but a friend is very allergic to chicken.  Got a hamburger that was cooked on the same grill as chicken. Had to go to the hospital and nearly missed our vacation trip 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Yujin said:

I haven't tried it yet, but vegans are being warned that if you go to Burger King or another fast food restaurant, there will be cross-contamination since they are cooked on the same grill as their beef patties.

I have often watched as my bacon is cooked on a flat grill and wondered if the Muslims complain or go for poached. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jacko said:

I have often watched as my bacon is cooked on a flat grill and wondered if the Muslims complain or go for poached. 

At a catered event, watched a Jewish friend push slices of pork to the side of the plate but eat the rest of whatever it was.  Intent matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I befriended a bloke who lived a few doors down in Australia, and who was a Muslim from Bangladesh. I invited him over for a meal and said we were having roast pork and a few red wines. He came, and he drank a few wines, and also ate (and enjoyed) the roast pork.  When I questioned this he said that people of his faith are expected to make mistakes sometimes, and that pressures of modern living sometimes also meant that, to avoid offence, occasions might arise when they may have to  partake in possibly banned behaviour. He said he would go to the temple the next day and pray for forgiveness and all would be okay. This is just the same as the Muslims that come to Pattaya and enjoy all the pleasures of the body and soul and, when they go home, pray for forgiveness until the next visit....   My friend enjoyed many glasses of wine with us over time and I hope that he is a very forgiven man.😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my younger days I would have wild, raunchy sex with a staunch catholic girl. She would go to church and confess and then come back for more!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nkped said:

At a catered event, watched a Jewish friend push slices of pork to the side of the plate but eat the rest of whatever it was.  Intent matters.

I was in Europe with a group of Muslims and they got quite upset over finding ham in their salad, wouldn't touch it or order again.

Although I caught another munching on a bag of scratchings once, when I told him, he said 'tastes good'. 

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, biggles said:

In my younger days I would have wild, raunchy sex with a staunch catholic girl. She would go to church and confess and then come back for more!! 

Been there, done that.  More than a few times 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were a vegetarian, why would you need to eat something that looks like meat or indeed impersonates closely something that epitomizes a meat meal. Do we expect to see KFC, made from soybeans, wrapped around plastic bones, coated in shit and deep fried? Or is this simply targeting those who have recently given up meat, or simply want to skip meat for the day, without really knowing?  I have often had a subway sandwich, and the meat component is well disguised by the time I have made my selection of toppings, may well have left out those miserly slices of ham or salami. Should I try their veggie option?  I recently spent 200 baht on a few Brussels Sprouts in Villa, for some reason I fancied them more than a steak. 

Congrats to Biggles for returning us to sex from an unlikely starting point.

 

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should market the Impossible Whopper with a non-alcoholic beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Beyond Burger is now on the menu at Dicey Reilly's on 2nd Road.

Beyond.JPG

Evil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 1:58 PM, Evil Penevil said:

The Beyond Burger is now on the menu at Dicey Reilly's on 2nd Road.

Beyond.JPG

Evil

Hmmm... I know it's not the impossible burger, but I heard the Beyond Burger was close. I don't want to try it as a healthy option or anything. I just want to try it to see if all the people "who can't tell it's not meat" are actually lying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

Hmmm... I know it's not the impossible burger, but I heard the Beyond Burger was close. I don't want to try it as a healthy option or anything. I just want to try it to see if all the people "who can't tell it's not meat" are actually lying.

 

I've had the Beyond Meat version that they sell in the grocery stores.  I could probably tell it from a normal hamburger, but still, they aren't that bad.  And for someone trying to avoid beef, they would be great.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, jacko said:

I was in Europe with a group of Muslims and they got quite upset over finding ham in their salad, wouldn't touch it or order again.

When I worked in NYC, we had about 20 people (out of 3,000) who were  orthodox  Jews or Muslims  as well as a few Hindus and Jains who had religious reservations about meat eating.  They wouldn't even use the microwaves and fridges the other employees used.  They had their own fridge, microwave and eating area in a locked room to which only they had keys.  It was also used as a Muslim prayer room.

However, the strictest Jews and Muslims wouldn't even use that room.  They only ate food they brought with them or bought in a halal or kosher restaurant.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:01 AM, Yujin said:

I haven't tried it yet, but vegans are being warned that if you go to Burger King or another fast food restaurant, there will be cross-contamination since they are cooked on the same grill as their beef patties.

Burger King has an option for vegans that involves cooking the Impossible Burger in a microwave.  But I doubt many vegans would go to Burger King under any circumstances other than to be .able to criticize it on the basis of experience.  People who become vegans are often opposed to chain restaurants out of principle.

16 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

Hmmm... I know it's not the impossible burger, but I heard the Beyond Burger was close. I don't want to try it as a healthy option or anything. I just want to try it to see if all the people "who can't tell it's not meat" are actually lying.

I don't know if they are lying, but they must not have very discriminating taste buds.

9 hours ago, js007 said:

I've had the Beyond Meat version that they sell in the grocery stores.  I could probably tell it from a normal hamburger, but still, they aren't that bad.  And for someone trying to avoid beef, they would be great.  

That's the intended target customer base for the Impossible Burger.  It's for people who need to cut down on meat for health or ethical reasons but still want to visit a fast food restaurant.  The IB isn't aimed specifically at committed vegetarians and vegans.

Evil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...