Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I lived in the Cz Republic for 5 years and went there several times in the depths of winter and it is one the most lasting poignant places I have ever been to in my life. Somehow the feelings you get there is hard to put into words it may sound wrong but anyone who gets a chance should go there. Even seeing your pictures again made me feel the cold silent atmosphere and I’m sat here in my condo in Pattaya now. In a good way a very good reminder of how lucky we was and are not to have lived during that nightmare. Thanks for sharing.

BTW did you get chance to go into the Salt Mines also a very interesting place ?

• Like 1
On 8/29/2023 at 10:31 PM, firth1974 said:

Had a 9 day jaunt around Europe stopping in Krakow in Poland and Berchtesgaden in Germany. One of the many places I visited was here, Auschwitz-Birkenau, probably the sight of the largest mass killing of human beings ever undertaken. A sad place to visit. 

Thank You for taking the time to post.

It made me cry ... and put my own problems into perspective.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Broughton said:

I lived in the Cz Republic for 5 years and went there several times in the depths of winter and it is one the most lasting poignant places I have ever been to in my life. Somehow the feelings you get there is hard to put into words it may sound wrong but anyone who gets a chance should go there. Even seeing your pictures again made me feel the cold silent atmosphere and I’m sat here in my condo in Pattaya now. In a good way a very good reminder of how lucky we was and are not to have lived during that nightmare. Thanks for sharing.

BTW did you get chance to go into the Salt Mines also a very interesting place ?

Yes, did the salt mines. Those photos will come soon

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the pictures.  I confess that is as close as I will get.  I visited the Cambodian killing fields and I had some bad dreams from it.  And I think the Nazis might have been worse in just how calculating and organized they were.  It's a good thing we remember and try to avoid repeating such atrocities but I like sleeping at night.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, sailingbill said:

They will forget but hopefully aware it can happen to them.

Sorry, but I feel that new generations will simply file it away as mistakes that WE made...

Went there January 2001, terrible place. Can still recall vividly the experience of walking round Auschwitz in deep snow, the  silence was awesome. The story of birds not singing there is just a myth though.

Auschwitz 2000   a100.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Barhop said:

Sorry, but I feel that new generations will simply file it away as mistakes that WE made...

It is history suppressed in many places, Islam is in denial and is beginning to rule the discussion of history. 

I have visited one of these places when I was in Poland....the evil and sadness seems to drip from the remaining walls.

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Kanchanaburi. I won't be a tour guide but visiting the Museum and Cemetery

Yes another very moving place I have been. So many young men laid to rest there and quite a few from my home town.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...