Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thailand Health Insurance Expat Expert Needed

I will be in Pattaya from July 31st until August 10th. I would like to meet and discuss with knowledgable expats issues associated with moving to Thailand, especially health insurance.

Thanks in advance!

Norm

You might want to check out the local ex-pat club meetings. they have tie ups with insurance. details of their meetings are on the board (sunday mornings)

Last Aug I got my medical insurance at a Bupa office ,Its opposite road to Tim shopping mal on 2nd road.

I paid for platium cover with bupa ,cost me 28000 bhts for the year ,out patient not included.

I am covered up to 3 million bahts

Now I know a liitle more about Thailand ,cover far to high.

I was 55 when got insurance but think at 56 years will go up.

But its a catch 22 here if you are not insured by the time you are sixty with Bupa,will not give insurance to you.

This year will look at different covers and include my lady and her child if I can ,pay about same but

reduce my 3 million baht cover as Im sure 11/2 million total cover would ok for me now.

Only problem is if you have pre medical condition will have clauses and exclusions

Like I have very slight higher than normal blood pressure in which I control by medication

So if I have any medical conditions regarding my blood pressue ,Bupa will only pay out max 100000 bahts for any treatment

There is lots of information can be found on web sites ,search google

GuyRakThai, thanks I could not remember davyson's name.

Dr. Mick, I will be just under or over 60 when I move there so this is something I may need to take care of early next year when I return, even if I am not living there yet.

Thanks also for the info on the insurance office. It is close to where I am staying.

Norm

Don't bother with the expat club medical insurance as it is rubbish and won't cover you after 60 or 65 anyway. As stated by another, joining some schemes then is impossible.

Speak to a broker. Get off this forum and onto http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Insurance-Thailand-f121.html Loads of information there. Thai Visa Insurance is actually AA Insurance http://www.aainsure.net/ and they have an office opposite BigC at the top of Pattaya Tai (you cannot see it from Pattaya Tai but go to BigC and you'll see it). Great staff and Peter the owner is always around and more than happy to deal with you personally.

Hit the net backed up by some company names you get from research on Thai Visa. Some have online quote systems but many do not. Most if not all can be issued through a broker and at the same or cheaper price so why not ? you get a guy on your side who has something to lose if they try to shaft you. He's not a monger.

There are loads of companies but the biggest decision you have is what cover and how things will be going forward. You also need to think about future premiums or self insurance. You also really need to work out whether you need the insurer to pay the hospital direct or whether you will pay first and then claim it back.

Don't listen to others, let them guide you to where to get the information but you have to do your own work and it is boring yes, but it is worthwhile.

Don't bother with the expat club medical insurance as it is rubbish and won't cover you after 60 or 65 anyway. As stated by another, joining some schemes then is impossible.

Speak to a broker. Get off this forum and onto http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Insurance-Thailand-f121.html Loads of information there. Thai Visa Insurance is actually AA Insurance http://www.aainsure.net/ and they have an office opposite BigC at the top of Pattaya Tai (you cannot see it from Pattaya Tai but go to BigC and you'll see it). Great staff and Peter the owner is always around and more than happy to deal with you personally.

Hit the net backed up by some company names you get from research on Thai Visa. Some have online quote systems but many do not. Most if not all can be issued through a broker and at the same or cheaper price so why not ? you get a guy on your side who has something to lose if they try to shaft you. He's not a monger.

There are loads of companies but the biggest decision you have is what cover and how things will be going forward. You also need to think about future premiums or self insurance. You also really need to work out whether you need the insurer to pay the hospital direct or whether you will pay first and then claim it back.

Don't listen to others, let them guide you to where to get the information but you have to do your own work and it is boring yes, but it is worthwhile.

I don't have any argument with you on what you say Torrenova. But on the one hand you rubbish the Expats Club group plan, and on the other suggest using the AA Insurance broker. Of course the Expats Club group plan is arranged through..........AA Insurance. Edited by jacko
Last Aug I got my medical insurance at a Bupa office ,Its opposite road to Tim shopping mal on 2nd road.

I paid for platium cover with bupa ,cost me 28000 bhts for the year ,out patient not included.

I am covered up to 3 million bahts

Now I know a liitle more about Thailand ,cover far to high.

I was 55 when got insurance but think at 56 years will go up.

But its a catch 22 here if you are not insured by the time you are sixty with Bupa,will not give insurance to you.

This year will look at different covers and include my lady and her child if I can ,pay about same but

reduce my 3 million baht cover as Im sure 11/2 million total cover would ok for me now.

Only problem is if you have pre medical condition will have clauses and exclusions

Like I have very slight higher than normal blood pressure in which I control by medication

So if I have any medical conditions regarding my blood pressue ,Bupa will only pay out max 100000 bahts for any treatment

There is lots of information can be found on web sites ,search google

I dont agree that 3M cover is far to high...

if you would develop some serious condition, or a serious event were to take place, you could easily rack up expenses of more then 3M. Imagine needing a year of treatment and multiple surgery's

if i am not mistaken, under your specific plan, chronic conditions maintenance isnt covered anyway, and neither are organ transplants, for me those are 2 major reasons for the policy in the first place.

i am covered at 5M and even with that , what i really want is the cover to say: unlimited

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the post about going to see AA Insurance. We use them for our health insurance. We looked at BUPA and LMG through them.

The one through the Expats club is intended as a minimum cover for those who do not want to pay for the fuller cover.

I agree 3M Baht is not too much. You will get exclusions for pre-existing conditions. Thats why you should choose an insurer you will stay with.

By swithching your list of exclusions could grow each time.

AA insurance is alongside Big C on Sirkhumvit road, just by Pattaya South Road. As you look at the front of Big C it is down the right hand side in a

line of shops. They are very helpful and will be happy to discuss. They will have price lists for the insurers. The price is determined by your age. Your existing illnesses just imapct the exclusions.

Number one rule is have health insurance in Thailand. You can exclude outpatients and get a discount. The outpatients cover is a question of do

you think you will get enough bills to exceed the discount. You can also exclude USA and Europe, which also gives a discount. You can alsways get travel insurance if you visit USA or Europe and get more cover that way. The Thailand cover does not give enough for the bills in USA, so it may be worth excluding anyway and doing a seperate insurance when you visit USA.

If you have more questions just add to the post.

Pre-existing health conditions are NOT covered by any of the insurance companies. You will want to have the policy BEFORE you are sixty years old and you can expect your premiums to go up every year. I have LMG Pacific. I have a maximum of 1,250,000 per occurrence coverage. At age fifty nine the premium was 17,000 baht per year. At age sixty four, the premium is now 24,000 baht per year. I have had one claim (three years ago) for appendicitis. The bill was 41,000 baht and they paid it all.

LMG have prices based on your age. They are in 5 year bands (cannot remember whether it is 50 to 54 or 55 to 55). Also if you are in the same band whne you renew for the next year it will go up. This is because their band prices go up every year - like everything else.

I am not clear on what some of you are saying. If I am over 60 but under 65 I cant get insurance? Or I will have to look harder and pay extra (which I dont mind). Within the next year or so I will no longer be able to afford health insurance here in the states. So I was hoping that I would be able to move to LOS and get coverage till medicare kicks in.

I am not clear on what some of you are saying. If I am over 60 but under 65 I cant get insurance? Or I will have to look harder and pay extra (which I dont mind). Within the next year or so I will no longer be able to afford health insurance here in the states. So I was hoping that I would be able to move to LOS and get coverage till medicare kicks in.

Dave,

I hope you realize that Medicare is no good outside the USA. So if something happens, you'd have to go back to the USA for treatment. I suppose that would be OK so long as you could travel. Depending on your health history, you might be OK for a long long time yet, so maybe just an accident insurance policy would do for Thailand.

No. That would be the case for one of the Expats club's group plan. They will not accept you over 60 for new cover, but join at 59 and you can be insured up to 65. But insurance (over 65) is likely available beyond that age, it is whether the cost is justifiable.

An Insurance broker would advise you accordingly.

But be advised, many companies do draw a line at 65.

Many 'insure themselves', keeping funds available locally just for medical emergency reasons.

Another consideration is the quality of health care, much is spoken here of the great facilities and high standard. But of late, in the Pattaya area, I have heard much of an attitude of greed.... apparent diagnosis of needed procedures that were dubious and cynical and perhaps aimed primarily at making money.

Edited by jacko

Here is a update as I have been looking as my years insurance comes to end end of Aug with Bupa

But before I make any decission whether to change or not.

I am going to Ram Hospital at Khon Kaen for full medical check up ,as Bupa will pay up to 700 bahts

for one off every year full examination.

If Im ok think I will change as Bupa becoming far more expensive than others I have found.

Here are some qotes I have so far based on the age between 56 to 60

Bupa Platium 2 million baht cover costs 53000 bahts with out outcalls.

AA maxi care for 5 million cover ,with the 40% deductions not wanting out visits and cover in USA Ccosts 43200 bahts

Thai Health Insurance for 1200000 cover costs 35531 bahts

Also my lady said I should get a quote from AIA ,she thinks agents can be found in Khon Kaen

So far if all goes well with my medical examination think best value is AA maxi care

But living in Khon Kaen ,very hard to find agents who sell insurance unlike BKK and Pattaya

Hope information helps

Extremely useful stuff and a subject I was discussing only yesterday with someone.

He mentioned a policy that sounds exactly like your AA maxicare, although under a different name....I forget.

But the same high 5 mil cover and premium deductions if you remove USA (and UK I was told).

Also deductions for removal of outpatient care.

And a 5% no claims bonus for next year!

He also mentioned some optical inclusion too, get your eyes tested and glasses included!

I might see the guy next week and get more details then.

Could you tell us your age bracket Dr, as that obviously affects the premium.

Edited by jacko
Extremely useful stuff and a subject I was discussing only yesterday with someone.

He mentioned a policy that sounds exactly like your AA maxicare, although under a different name....I forget.

But the same high 5 mil cover and premium deductions if you remove USA (and UK I was told).

Also deductions for removal of outpatient care.

And a 5% no claims bonus for next year!

He also mentioned some optical inclusion too, get your eyes tested and glasses included!

I might see the guy next week and get more details then.

Could you tell us your age bracket Dr, as that obviously affects the premium.

I will be 56 so I have just moved into the higher range bracket 56 to 60

Further, the company offering a policy that sounded like yours (AA maxicare) was named LMG.

Edited by jacko