Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Pattaya to Hua-Hin by Catamaran

Thailiving Ferry is excited to announce the launch of its new high speed Catamaran that will provide water transportation between two of Thailand ’s most popular tourist cities, Pattaya and Hua-Hin. The company hosted a grand opening party Friday night to introduce its sleek new transport, with luxurious seating, and state-of-the-art technology. Ferry service will begin on the 19th of November 2010 and they expect to operate a regular schedule of three crossings per week. With the new catamaran service it will be so much easier to travel across the gulf from Pattaya to Hua-Hin, and then on to Ko Samui and Phuket if desired.

The trip takes 3 hours and 15 minutes and will be made by a high speed catamaran, 18m long, cruising at 20knots. The Catamaran is built to international standards and makes use of the latest in navigation and safety equipment. The transport service will operate between Pattaya at Ocean Marina and Hua Hin at Pak Nam Pran. Customers will get transportation to and from the piers with minibuses making stops at central locations in each city. One-way trip fare will be 1600 baht and for return 3000 baht. In November and December, Thailiving will offer promotions from 1200 baht.

(IMG:http://www.thailivingferry.com/image%20Resize/ferry.jpg)

They've done this before in various ways - ferry, hydrofoil, whatever. There are just very few people who 1. want to go between these two places 2. without their car. You get to the other end and there you are, on the pier. The catamaran trip you describe is about the same as a trip by car, in fact it should be faster by car, even an hour faster. And then when you've got to the other end you have, you know, transportation.

I can't imagine there are enough tourists to be interested. I can't imagine enough residents supporting it.

Sounds like something you might like to do once for the halibut. I can't see this as profitable. Wouldn't mind being wrong, it's a nice little service.

I will make this one of the things to do on my next visit. Hi speed ferry to Hua Hin, several days R&R & sight seeing around Hua Hin, then back to Pattaya. Sounds like a great plan to me.

Going this way will avoid the crazy driving and traffic if the journey was done by road trip.

The Catamaran ferry leaves from Ocean Marina, about 10 min south of Pattaya.

grit

Edited by grityorteef

That's a quite small looking boat and 20 knots is not exactly high speed. But it would be nice to get a review of the trip from a BM. I hope it works as it would be a nice option to have.

They've done this before in various ways - ferry, hydrofoil, whatever

I think the 'whatever' was a hovercraft, a GB invention.

I kind of agree with the stranded on the pier aspect, baht buses ready with gouges. But actually they have pickup points, so I hope drop-off ones too, Royal Garden, Thailiving Ferry Office, departing from Ocean Marina which is miles out of town. In Hua Hin Clock Tower and Inter Continental. Departure is Pak Nam Pran pier, miles out of town.

I have the leaflet in front of me... currently 1200 baht one-way, promotion, regular is 1600.

I would have thought Samui, competing with the Bangkok Airways monopoly would be a better route.

I think the 'whatever' was a hovercraft, a GB invention.

I kind of agree with the stranded on the pier aspect, baht buses ready with gouges. But actually they have pickup points, so I hope drop-off ones too, Royal Garden, Thailiving Ferry Office, departing from Ocean Marina which is miles out of town. In Hua Hin Clock Tower and Inter Continental. Departure is Pak Nam Pran pier, miles out of town.

I have the leaflet in front of me... currently 1200 baht one-way, promotion, regular is 1600.

I would have thought Samui, competing with the Bangkok Airways monopoly would be a better route.

Pattaya to Samui would be a long way by ferry.

about 50 NM from Patts to HH

about 200 NM from Patts to Samui Plus about 25 NM from shore the entire 200 miles. Bad weather = Holy Crap for a loooong time.

Even the 50 NM trip I would choose my weather window carefully. Could be a very uncomfortable ride if it starts blowing snot.

Pattaya to Samui would be a long way by ferry.

about 50 NM from Patts to HH

about 200 NM from Patts to Samui Plus about 25 NM from shore the entire 200 miles. Bad weather = Holy Crap for a loooong time.

Even the 50 NM trip I would choose my weather window carefully. Could be a very uncomfortable ride if it starts blowing snot.

Agreed, I thought that soon after I typed it. I really had forgotten how much further down the coast Surat Thani is.

I don't know about you, but outside of starting a tour of the south and bypassing Bangkok, Hua Hin doesn't appeal.

Agreed, I thought that soon after I typed it. I really had forgotten how much further down the coast Surat Thani is.

I don't know about you, but outside of starting a tour of the south and bypassing Bangkok, Hua Hin doesn't appeal.

I would check it out, and if the weather was good I might consider the catamaran. Let me stress again, IF THE WEATHER WAS VERY GOOD. And I would do my own forecasting...

My dream is to do a long charter down the Bay of Siam coast. Maybe a month or so. It will have to wait till I retire :rolleyes:(

C&C 110, a couple of girls for crew...

Yep, and vice-versa for those who like Hua Hin, basically. These twain don't meet all that often.

You don't have to go to Bangkok to drive to Hua Hin by car. Although I think by bus you either go to Bangkok for two buses or take several buses in a long journey bypassing it.

I agree about the weather, even though the Gulf doesn't often (or ever) get REALLY horrible. It's in a pretty good lee, which is why there's never been a hurricane/typhoon in the area. Still, a boat that size could be an adventure in the monsoon season.

When comparing the one way fare for the boat with the fare for minibusses it's 1.600,-- baht vs around 350 baht. The minibusses leave Pattaya from central places (i.e. Tops) and end in the center (or where you want to be) in Hua Hin. You have ton change minibus in Bangkok, which may take 10 - 20 mins.

There was a service years ago. For some reason it did not continue. Hmmmm.

I suspect if there were $to be made some Thai people would have been all over it, Lomprayah comes to mind. They offer the very successful BKK>>HH>>Samui bus/cat service and know what they are doing.

I just don't see where the market isfor this service. Pattaya and HH are so different. Pattaya guys think HH is a snoozefest and HH people think Pattaya is the cesspool of the world.

There was a service years ago. For some reason it did not continue. Hmmmm.

I suspect if there were $to be made some Thai people would have been all over it, Lomprayah comes to mind. They offer the very successful BKK>>HH>>Samui bus/cat service and know what they are doing.

I just don't see where the market isfor this service. Pattaya and HH are so different. Pattaya guys think HH is a snoozefest and HH people think Pattaya is the cesspool of the world.

Thais would likely not make the initial investment on the craft.....

Perhaps a small market of loved up mongers taking their sweeties to (and back) a quieter environment... dontcha has just booked!

I wouldn't compare it to the minibus via Bangkok, which is hell on wheels, but the backpacker type tourist would do that.

The average Pattaya or Hua Hin tourist has 2 weeks hotel paid already and at 3.5 hours and 3200 baht it is too much for a day trip when Koh Lahn is easier.

There are some very nice places to visit South of Hua Hin, and worthy of a trip... but own vehicle is better.

Edited by jacko

As I said, Lomprayah are experienced cat operators and really know what they are doing (they are a Thai outfit who have certainly made investments in proper fast cats). If they thought it could make money they would have done it long ago.

Edited by JohnnyK

I was hoping this service would be up and running last month when I was there.

Oh well have to wait until next year now! At least I will be able to read some reviews before doing it.

Thais would likely not make the initial investment on the craft.....

Neither would Russians or Fiji Islanders or Chinese or Morgan make the initial investment. Not sure what their nationality has to do with it, mind.

There are hundreds and hundreds of all kinds of "crafts" the Thais have invested in from klong boats to ocean-going trawlers and freighters. They run up and down all the rivers. There was that ferry service from Songkhla to Vancouver Island, don't forget. Ferries of various types run from Surat Thani to Samui.... They're all Thai, all invested to beat the band. There are a few dozen large craft making the Bangkok-Ayutthaya run.

Pattaya-Hua Hin sounds good, just like flights to Pattaya sound good. In the cold light of day, things that sound good often aren't profitable. That's a much better reason not to invest than being born a Thai.

Neither would Russians or Fiji Islanders or Chinese or Morgan make the initial investment. Not sure what their nationality has to do with it, mind.

Well the Australians might, they pay for their own bridges and for those who don't don't they?

The nationality might be relevant as the Catarmaran goes between Pattaya and Hua Hin, which are both in Thailand, are they not?

Edited by jacko
  • 3 months later...
It is running to favourable reviews.

Check out www.huahinafterdark.com

Do you have a link to the reviews? That shows the home page, and I didn't see anything about a boat or catamaran. I'm seriously thinking of Hua Hin for Songkran. A bus or van would be a lot cheaper, but I like being on the water. A boat cruse would be nice. At least one way.

I would really like am enterprising farang start a sea plane route from Pattaya to Hua Hin. I'd do it myself if I had the money.

• Downvote 1
Do you have a link to the reviews? That shows the home page, and I didn't see anything about a boat or catamaran. I'm seriously thinking of Hua Hin for Songkran. A bus or van would be a lot cheaper, but I like being on the water. A boat cruse would be nice. At least one way.

I would really like am enterprising farang start a sea plane route from Pattaya to Hua Hin. I'd do it myself if I had the money.

You need the link to the FORUM, i think:

http://www.huahinforum.com/

Whether you have to join to see any posts or not, i have no idea

Malc