Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

My pet peeve with Thai girls

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, I have more than one pet peeve with Thai girls. There is one that has bothered me from day one. When out with a Thai laddie, and another Thai comes up, they always speak Thai leaving me comple

Thai social rudeness? You're having a laugh, mate!   What's to stop the OP joining in the conversation?     My recollection is somewhat different. You were bemoaning that one particular w

Heres a an idea....try learning Thai since you are in.................................wait for it..............................THAILAND.... Thats like me getting pissed cause my wifes famil

Good response Pachike. I have been to several non-english speaking countries and never remember the girls switching to english to talk for my benefit. And I didn't expect them to because since I was 2 or 3 times their age the only thing we had in common was buying and selling. I felt no need to explore U.S. politics or financial institutions or to try and educate them on what a great govt. we had.And we had a great time without it.

Jack

When most people are out and about (thais) you will notice one thing.....The men are talking with the men

and the women are talking with the women (unless the guys are trying to get laid or date said lady)...

Interesting concept that by most accounts would appear to be fairly universal...... :P

The dude has more than a thousand posts here, and you're wondering if he's a troll? Really?

I've experienced EXACTLY what he's talking about. In other countries, the people I am out with are (or least appear to be) sensitive to the fact that I'm not fluent in their language, and make an effort to include me. The Thais don't seem to give a shit.

You are correct... Thais do seem to focus on self and give less consideration to those around.

Be it from stopping their vehicle in the middle of the road, parking their motorbike across the footpath where you were just walking, talking on their mobiles, lots and lots of things.

But look around, I have seen many such examples from other nationalities too.... try China!

So some Thais don't focus on etiquette too much when bringing up their kids, I have seen worse in the UK, where the parents let them run riot in a pub while they get drunk.

Manners are a personal thing and you will find the best etiquette amongs some well educated Thais..... those around us here are country bumpkins.

Edited by jacko

Unless a guy is paranoid, why would he care what the girls are saying? As for myself, I do my best to tune out conversations between my wife and her friends. They can talk for a long time and really say nothing.

Manners are a personal thing and you will find the best etiquette amongs some well educated Thais..... those around us here are country bumpkins.

Good point in an evolving thread. "High class" Thais, butter wouldn't melt in their mouths, their public conduct is impeccable.

They speak Thai a lot, though.

Interesting post but this forum not about the real Thailand. It's about Pattaya and getting laid by prostitutes. I see your point but I and many other guys come here to party. Have fun, drink and get laid.

If you come to Pattaya to drink, have fun, and get laid then why do you or anyone else give 2 CENTS what a bunch of thay women say

when they speak in Thai or even care if they include you in their conversation. :clueless :clueless :clueless

Let the women do their thing then take the 1 or 2 and bang them till they are quiet.....better yet learn some

of the language and you will actually have more fun................but that takes work....

That was well said. Yes I know that I am in Thailand and they speak Thai. I could make a better effort at learning the language, however it's a tonal language. I've worked on loud construction sites all my life and just can not hear the difference in tones. If I go into a restaurant and in Thai ask for a bowel of rice, it may come out that I want a bowel of nine. The restaurant doesn't serve nine, and most everyone orders rice with their meal. However they will act like they can't understand a word I've said. They make me repeat it over and over until I revert to asking in English. They know fucking well that I am trying to ask for rice. Yet, my name is Randy, they can't say it. Yet I answer to lenly, lenny, lendy, or what ever other way they pronounce it. I don't act stupid like I don't know who they are talking to.

When I am the host, and spending the money I worked hard to earn, and I am with Thai's that can speak English, I think that they should include me in conversation. If they say something in Thai, they should give at least give me the short version of what is going on. In what other country would the host be completely ignored? Would a Thai that can't speak English pick up the tab for a bunch of farang that went on all night in English? Would a Thai pick up any tab?

For those that have given me shit over this. Okay, it's my pet peeve, and not everyone else's. But it's mine, I own it, and shared my experience. Got a problem with it, start your own thread and share your experience. Maybe you will get lucky and I'll give you the same consideration that you have given me. After all, I really give a fuck about canned Salmon, the price of a beer on soi LK, what BigD posted 5 years ago, Muslims in the UK, or what Rush Limpdick thinks about anything.

Yes Thais pick up the tab........IN fact I have had quite a few Thai friends pick up the tab every time we go out....Again they were male friends...In fact they have

picked up the tab so much that there have been times I have had to cut the waitress off so I could pay the bill.....Some people really should look at who they hang out with.....

Back to your topic you are in THAILAND learn the language.....Simple as that.....If you want to have a conversation with the BG's you decide to rent then get ones

that have good english skills.....Maybe they really don't understand you...Thats not their problem it's yours.................The language difference is what makes Thailand

a nice place to live. It adds to the challenge of living. You want easy stay in your home country......Everyone has had problems trying to communicate it just depends upon how you deal with it..It took me 20 minutes one time to get a salesperson at homepro to understand I wanted one of those electrified fly swatters...I could of bitched and moaned about it but I enjoyed it cause there was satisfaction in knowing that we finally understood each other.....It's all how you view it.............and its what I like the challenge.........

Edited by packhike

Good thread. Some interesting replies. I have in the past, felt similar to the OP.

I think alot of the Thais that we speak with can be rude.

If they didn't need our money they wouldn't give us the time of day.

If they weren't hot I wouldn't be going out of my way to talk with them either.

In the reversal of roles, I wonder how much 'social nicety ' would be extended by the OP to a Thai companion explaining (in Thai of course - couldnt be so obsequious as to expect thems to understand anything else) all that was being exchanged between him and his falang friends .

Get real

At it's core, this thread isn't about language.... it's about rudeness. Both on the part of the Thais who are willing to allow a "guest" or in most cases the "host" being as he will be expected to pick up the tap for the evening to sit hour after hour as they enjoy an evening of conversation without showing even the most basic attempt to include him in the interaction...

And that is exactly my thought on this. If a guy is picking up the tab, the people benefiting from his kindness should show some proper manners. I think that many, many guys have hung out with 3-5 chicks at the restaurant, karaoke etc and been treated more or less like a piece of furniture to be ignored. :clueless

FatherMojo

Okay, I have more than one pet peeve with Thai girls. There is one that has bothered me from day one. When out with a Thai laddie, and another Thai comes up, they always speak Thai leaving me completely out of the conversation. I have been to many Asian and south American countries and Thai's seem to be the only ones that do this. I find it rude and disrespectful. They won't even tell me what was said. In any other country I've been in, if I'm with a lady and someone speaks to them in their language, she turns to me and tells me what was said. Not here.

I used to often take a group of Thai ladies out to the Issan clubs. It was fun to watch them enjoy themselves so much. It didn't take to long, and I started saying that I won't go unless another farang goes. It's not only cheaper, because we get to split the cost, but I have somebody to talk to. I am usually left out of everything except the bill. They do make sure I eat, and my drink is never empty, but no one talks to me much, and among themselves which most of the conversation is, it's all in Thai.

In another country, if I took out a group of girls, they would all speak English, only reverting to their language to tell secrets, or give instructions to a waiter or something of that sort. Conversations are all in broken English, but at least I can follow what is happening, and feel included in the group. Usually when something is said in the other language, someone will tell me what was said. Not in Thailand. Here I'm made more to feel like the ATM machine at the table.

Anyway last week in was in a little out door bar that I have been going to since my first week in Pattaya. I know all the ladies, and they all know me. I bough several of the girls a lady drink, which is rot gut Tequila that mamasan makes them drink. It was a slow night, and I was the only customer in the bar. I then sat and watched the people go by as my girlfriend talked to the laddies. I was OK with that, because I like watching the bra less Russian girls walk by. After a while I got board with it, and was starting to sweat, so I tell the girlfriend, let's check bin and go to FLB for some air con.

Several of the girls wanted me to bar fine them and take them with us. I've done it many times because I can bring someone to dance with me at FLB. They are more fun to be with than the hostesses because they are out for fun, not profit. They aren't the drink hounds the hostessses are. My GF does not dance to Farang music, and they will. My GF was up for that, one of the girls was from her village, and two others were long time friends. To my surprise, and theirs, I said no. I told them I'm tired of sitting in a bar with no one speaking to me. They will all talk to each other and I feel like I sit alone. My GF came up with the idea, we have English night and only speak English all night. I thought ya right, the girl from the village has never said anything to me except "hello, how are you" since I've met her. The GF says that she learned English in school, but doesn't speak because she is embarrassed. I'm thinking she can't make it on a English only night. However the girls were insistent that they would and could do it. I bar fined them.

We got to FLB and I have to say they gave it a good effort. The GF kept reminding them to speak English, and even when the hostesses came up to beg for a drink, they were told they had to speak English. The village girl did know a lot more English than she let on. While nothing exciting happened all night, it was one of the more enjoyable nights I've had out with the ladies in a long time. I don't know why Thai's alienate us by speaking Thai when they know how to speak English. However, I found out that I don't have to stand for it. I have the money, I can make the rules.

Lovedog

Very good interesting post mate,well done and very thought provoking post

Will have to introduce myself next trip,seen you a couple of times in FLB (But normally hanging and busy with ,the Deputy Sheriff Frostie,good man in MHO all albeit a bit misdirrected at times :clueless :clueless :clueless ).

I work in a very multicultural evironment in Aus,Both colleges and so called customers .

One of my pet peeves is working most of a shift with a college from Overseas ,90% top blokes .

But then at say lunch time a number of the guys countrymen come to my office to chat with there countryman.Sweet as a Nut,and I know most of them quite well. ALLL GOOD!!!

Then in my presence, in my office they start talking to each other in there native tounge.

To me Thats just TOTAL disrespect,End of.

Yes Ive had a crack at em, an said"if its good enough to speak english 1 on 1 to me, if you bring your mates to my office in my lunch hour, they show me same respect,or Phuck off out of my office ,end of.

Aussie are the Most easy going people going,however disrespect or take piss out of an Aussie we are first to stand our digs and give you our opinion be it good or bad...Maybe from our background ,we stand up to Authority more than most,guess just the nature of the Beast .Even though we are ALL from somewhere else.People are a funny group ,arent WE????

Okay, I have more than one pet peeve with Thai girls. There is one that has bothered me from day one. When out with a Thai laddie, and another Thai comes up, they always speak Thai leaving me completely out of the conversation. I have been to many Asian and south American countries and Thai's seem to be the only ones that do this. I find it rude and disrespectful. They won't even tell me what was said. In any other country I've been in, if I'm with a lady and someone speaks to them in their language, she turns to me and tells me what was said. Not here.

I used to often take a group of Thai ladies out to the Issan clubs. It was fun to watch them enjoy themselves so much. It didn't take to long, and I started saying that I won't go unless another farang goes. It's not only cheaper, because we get to split the cost, but I have somebody to talk to. I am usually left out of everything except the bill. They do make sure I eat, and my drink is never empty, but no one talks to me much, and among themselves which most of the conversation is, it's all in Thai.

In another country, if I took out a group of girls, they would all speak English, only reverting to their language to tell secrets, or give instructions to a waiter or something of that sort. Conversations are all in broken English, but at least I can follow what is happening, and feel included in the group. Usually when something is said in the other language, someone will tell me what was said. Not in Thailand. Here I'm made more to feel like the ATM machine at the table.

Anyway last week in was in a little out door bar that I have been going to since my first week in Pattaya. I know all the ladies, and they all know me. I bough several of the girls a lady drink, which is rot gut Tequila that mamasan makes them drink. It was a slow night, and I was the only customer in the bar. I then sat and watched the people go by as my girlfriend talked to the laddies. I was OK with that, because I like watching the bra less Russian girls walk by. After a while I got board with it, and was starting to sweat, so I tell the girlfriend, let's check bin and go to FLB for some air con.

Several of the girls wanted me to bar fine them and take them with us. I've done it many times because I can bring someone to dance with me at FLB. They are more fun to be with than the hostesses because they are out for fun, not profit. They aren't the drink hounds the hostessses are. My GF does not dance to Farang music, and they will. My GF was up for that, one of the girls was from her village, and two others were long time friends. To my surprise, and theirs, I said no. I told them I'm tired of sitting in a bar with no one speaking to me. They will all talk to each other and I feel like I sit alone. My GF came up with the idea, we have English night and only speak English all night. I thought ya right, the girl from the village has never said anything to me except "hello, how are you" since I've met her. The GF says that she learned English in school, but doesn't speak because she is embarrassed. I'm thinking she can't make it on a English only night. However the girls were insistent that they would and could do it. I bar fined them.

We got to FLB and I have to say they gave it a good effort. The GF kept reminding them to speak English, and even when the hostesses came up to beg for a drink, they were told they had to speak English. The village girl did know a lot more English than she let on. While nothing exciting happened all night, it was one of the more enjoyable nights I've had out with the ladies in a long time. I don't know why Thai's alienate us by speaking Thai when they know how to speak English. However, I found out that I don't have to stand for it. I have the money, I can make the rules.

Lovedog

Will have to introduce myself next trip,seen you a couple of times in FLB (But normally hanging and busy with ,the Deputy Sheriff Frostie,good man in MHO all albeit a bit misdirrected at times :clueless :clueless :clueless ).

I work in a very multicultural evironment in Aus,Both colleges and so called customers .

One of my pet peeves is working most of a shift with a college from Overseas ,90% top blokes .

But then at say lunch time a number of the guys countrymen come to my office to chat with there countryman.Sweet as a Nut,and I know most of them quite well. ALLL GOOD!!!

Then in my presence, in my office they start talking to each other in there native tounge.

Yes Ive had a crack at em, an said"if its good enough to speak english 1 on 1 to me, if you bring your mates to my office in my lunch hour, they show me same respect,or Phuck off out of my office ,end of.

Aussie are the Most easy going people going,however disrespect or take piss out of an Aussie we are first to stand our digs and give you our opinion be it good or bad...Maybe from our background ,we stand up to Authority more than most,guess just the nature of the Beast .Even though we are ALL from somewhere else.People are a funny group ,arent WE????

Theres an old saying

'If you make a doormat of yourself, there will never be a shortage of people wanting to wipe their feet'

Think it holds true for 'feet' of all nationalities

I think that many, many guys have hung out with 3-5 chicks at the restaurant, karaoke etc and been treated more or less like a piece of furniture to be ignored. :clueless

And to the heart of the thread......not if I can communicate, and keep up with them, in their own language. Then and only then am I truly 'in' the conversation.

Some say the PI is better because the ladies speak English, but by golly I'm betting if you're (your for D) the only guy hanging out with 4 or 5 Pinay's you're gonna be the "odd man out" for most of the evening even if they're speaking English and talking over one another.........faster than you can comprehend it.

Lovedog

Sunday morning, so got a bit of time now to make a proper comment on this thread, which is a very interesting one....

I've been on the other end of this debate. I teach in a small adult ed facility in a small town in France and a few years back I was in the reception area dealing with some paperwork when an English colleague asked me a question about the progress of one of the students. I stopped what I was doing and we talked in English for about 2 minutes then suddenly the receptionist exploded in French, screaming that we were "badly brought up" as we were speaking English in her presence in the full knowledge that she couldnt understand, "this is France, you know" etc .... Despite my protestations that it was perfectly normal for two colleagues to communicate in any way - the EASIEST way - possible, and that, in any case, the subject matter did not require her inclusion and she might understand that if she put some thought to the matter, she took it further and complained to the boss.

Summoned in front of the boss I just said the girl should "get a life"...... in a school which teaches languages you might hear a few things you don't understand. She left a few months after (then Mrs C and I ran into her at a swingers' club on New Year's Eve a few weeks ago - but that's another story - maybe needed a good ...... - oops misogyny).

I think the key word here is EXPEDIENCY - need to know. It is frustrating not being able to speak and understand ANY language one is exposed to because human beings like to be included. The trick is how you deal with the frustration - complain, understand your shortcomings and decide whether it's worth learning the language, or forget it.

The whole "do I want to be surrounded all day/evening by several lovely girls half my age basking in the sunshine of their youth and maybe get a shag at the end but knowing I'll have to pay the food/dirnk/transport (jetski?)/ overnight tab but for that shag I'll pretty much put up with anything" question would better be answered by our latest Mr Newbie Newb MM, methinks.

"Rude" is a very subjective description to make of anyone and, it seems from the above, only takes one's own cultural/societal viewpoint into consideration.

All that said, go for it Landy!!!!!!!

Andy Cap

Edited by capdagde
The whole "do I want to be surrounded all day/evening by several lovely girls half my age basking in the sunshine of their youth and maybe get a shag at the end but knowing I'll have to pay the food/dirnk/transport (jetski?)/ overnight tab but for that shag I'll pretty much put up with anything" question would better be answered by our latest Mr Newbie Newb MM, methinks.

LOL. Great string of questions and outcomes there, cappy. That's pretty much the sum of my thinking. It's like you took it right out of my head. :D

On the OP, I've already made my feelings known about this in the thread. Hearing them speak poor or non-existent English, or listening to their Thai (and possibly learning a few new words or phrases) is an easy choice for me.

I do not consider it rude at all.

I consider this my home now, and attempt to fit myself into the culture and language as best I can.

Yes Bushcraft - on the bedroom computer with the wireless keyboard on my knees - 'kin French AZERTY keys - why can't they all use QWERTY bah humbug....

Love you dearly my dextrous friend, lol, and your post above this is spot-on brilliant. Being fluent in English, German and (reasonably well) in French myself - and having been exposed many times in the past, when I was important, to business situations where there were 'representatives' of all three languages present, in which case English mercifully becomes the lingua franca - I'm well aware of the problems in including everyone when things get more social - the most cunning linguist gets to spend his time interpreting for the less practiced, and generally has a lousy time of it. The only real answer is to fit in and adapt, I'm afraid, which means learning Thai if you live in Thailand and want to socialise with Thais outside the bar and bedroom.

When I was in the Australian Army we had a detachment of Army personel from Schofield Barracks Hawaii with us.

Imagine our surprise when those who were of hispanic background started talking amongst themselves in Spanish, in front of us Aussies and their non-hispanic fellow Americans.

Now IMHO THAT is the height of rudeness.

That was well said. Yes I know that I am in Thailand and they speak Thai. I could make a better effort at learning the language, however it's a tonal language. I've worked on loud construction sites all my life and just can not hear the difference in tones. If I go into a restaurant and in Thai ask for a bowel of rice, it may come out that I want a bowel of nine. The restaurant doesn't serve nine, and most everyone orders rice with their meal. However they will act like they can't understand a word I've said. They make me repeat it over and over until I revert to asking in English. They know fucking well that I am trying to ask for rice. Yet, my name is Randy, they can't say it. Yet I answer to lenly, lenny, lendy, or what ever other way they pronounce it. I don't act stupid like I don't know who they are talking to.

The misunderstanding has nothing to do with the tone - it's the same tonal pronounciation for rice (ข้าว khaaoF) and nine (เก้า gaaoF). The initial consonants are different. If you're fucking up on the tones, there's a whole host of reasons that would explain their lack of comprehension - does he want to come in, buy a mountain, listen to the news or eat my friend?

rice ....

nine ...

My own personal experience with Thais in general is that they appreciate you making the effort to speak the lingo and are more than tolerant of any cock-ups that you make - and I make them with monotonous regularity.

Edited by CheshireTom
  • Upvote 1

If you are sitting there with 2 or 3 Thai girls, its extremely likely that one if not all are lacking in English skills. So to hold a conversation in English is going to be "rude" to the non-english speakers.

How many times do you see a few english speaking guys with one of them having a barfine that knows little English and the two guys are chatting away in English? Is that not rude?

When I am out with Thai people, I have no problem if they speak their native language; in fact, I think it shows hubris to expect otherwise while in their country.

I have a friend here in the states thats gets bent out of shape when our families were together and our wives started speaking in Thai. He'd say "Hey, English!". I couldn't understand it, he and I are spekaing English, the kids are speaking English, but apparently he needs to be in on every conversation.

I can understand if you have a BF that completely ignores you the whole night; thats another matter. If you are with your BF and some other Thai girls, she should break off occasionally and give you some attention or maybe explain a joke that was made.

Hmmm, I was having a sundowner with the neighbours and my TGF yesterday and guess what language we talked in...English.

My TGF, the only Thai, was obviously left out.

She looks a bit bored, not sure if that is because she doesn't grasp the subject of conversation, or as we are all old fogeys, it is just incredibly dull to her.

Edited by jacko