Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Thailand: Tourism and the Truth

I was just flicking through the TV listings for the next week (in the UK) and noticed this documentary. I thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0100vtt

...apologies if this is considered spam, I don't work for the BBC or have anything to do with this show.

Stacey begins her trip in Phuket, where she stays as a tourist before swapping roles and becoming a hotel worker. She works as a chambermaid and struggles with the hard work and incredibly high standards, having to clean 14 rooms a day for just four pounds. She also discovers what it's like to live on such low wages and the sacrifices that some hotel workers have to make. Many live in slum conditions or in hotel dormitories, separated from their children for months at a time.

But this is nonsense. Stacey is stepping way, way, WAY down in her life to be a hotel maid. She has NO IDEA, literally not one single solitary tiny clue what it is like to step UP in life and get a respectable job working as a hotel maid, with good chances for advancement, experience and moving UP to something else.

The typical hotel maid has never made such a high wage, and is making no sacrifices at all - merely making career and life choices like we all do. Hundreds of thousands of, well, let's say Brits (or any nationality, really) are separated from their children for months at a time for any number of reasons and choices that they made.

Stacey hates cleaning one hotel room every 40 minutes. Boo-hoo let's all shed a tear for Stacey, who doesn't have to do that any more.

Stacey begins her trip in Phuket, where she stays as a tourist before swapping roles and becoming a hotel worker. She works as a chambermaid and struggles with the hard work and incredibly high standards, having to clean 14 rooms a day for just four pounds. She also discovers what it's like to live on such low wages and the sacrifices that some hotel workers have to make. Many live in slum conditions or in hotel dormitories, separated from their children for months at a time.

But this is nonsense. Stacey is stepping way, way, WAY down in her life to be a hotel maid. She has NO IDEA, literally not one single solitary tiny clue what it is like to step UP in life and get a respectable job working as a hotel maid, with good chances for advancement, experience and moving UP to something else.

The typical hotel maid has never made such a high wage, and is making no sacrifices at all - merely making career and life choices like we all do. Hundreds of thousands of, well, let's say Brits (or any nationality, really) are separated from their children for months at a time for any number of reasons and choices that they made.

Stacey hates cleaning one hotel room every 40 minutes. Boo-hoo let's all shed a tear for Stacey, who doesn't have to do that any more.

I'm looking forward to seeing Stacy get a job on soi 6 or at Lolita's. Be fun to see her on camera with a gob of cum running down her chin. That would be a story.

Excellent point(s) Joe.

I don't know anything about this person or this show, but I hope they present the information in a fairly factual manner without too much hype.

It is a very hard life to clean hotel rooms for next to nothing, and Thailand is pretty bad on worker's rights. We all know they are going to present doom and gloom, glossing over the fact that the people who have the worst jobs have "issues" that keep them from getting better jobs, but sometimes they get screwed by circumstance. If someone has to work 80+hrs a week and be away from their family, that is a shame. Then again, if they got in over their heads with drugs/gambling or just decided they had to have kids even though they had no way to support them... I feel less than touched by the plight. If on the other hand they have no other options and their employers are mentally abusing them so they feel like they have no power, then I would take issue.

I choose the hotels/condos I stay at and try to talk to the staff, owners, cleaners or whatever. If they seem like happy people that either enjoy what they do, or at least enjoy their lives and are doing what they need to survive, I return to them. If on the other hand the staff is not happy and wishes they could leave, I don't go back.

Same goes for the bars I visit, though this is a bit harder with the drinking and everyone knowing that they have to put on a good show.

I If someone has to work 80+hrs a week and be away from their family, that is a shame.

A shame? Sounds like any oilfield trash to me. Sounds like a geek at Google or Microsoft. Many military guys (gender imperfect case there) would, AHEM, kill for a job with that few hours. Sounds like a long-haul pilot, except he doesn't actually WORK the 80 hours, but he's sure away that much.

You can make anyone sound like a victim. I'd like to make some BBC producers victims, though.

Hotel maids don't work 80 hours a week AFAIK. They can't start until the guest leaves the room which is 11-12am in many cases. Rooms must be done and ready by about 4-5pm latest. Seems to me to be about an 8-hour day so about 56 hours a week (they get a day off).

Little Miss Reporter might have learned something worth knowing if she had taken the trouble to research all the great jobs available in the boonies. Ask any girl if she would rather clean rooms with aircon and TV on or plant rice bent over 12 hours a day in the heat with mud and grubs between her toes.

Little Miss Reporter might have learned something worth knowing if she had taken the trouble to research all the great jobs available in the boonies. Ask any girl if she would rather clean rooms with aircon and TV on or plant rice bent over 12 hours a day in the heat with mud and grubs between her toes.

She has :toilet_claw:

See her previous TV work.

Hotel maids don't work 80 hours a week AFAIK. They can't start until the guest leaves the room which is 11-12am in many cases.

not everyones a raging alcoholic out on the piss until sun up, plenty of normal holiday makers up at the crack of dawn breakfast at 7.00am and then off for a day of touristy stuff.

id say they would start at 7.00-8.00am and finish around 5.00pm.

Is this the same bird who did the cambodian Documentry where 90% of the footage was of her crying

Edited by nus01
just watched this show,thought it was ok,no talk of sex tourists,at least this made a change

So she didn't get to clean dontcha's room then? :thumbup

Let's hope she gets to clean Villa's room, what with all that shit in his shower I'm guessing she will quit there and then on the spot

:thumbup :hairout :chogdee :hairout :grin-jump :grin-jump

:sh :grin-jump :grin-jump :grin-jump :grin-jump :grin-jump :grin-jump :grin-jump :grin-jump :grin-jump

I was amazed at the price she got of £365 inc hotel from the UK, based on 2 sharing. My flight is dearer than that!

I think that was just the hotel? Flights from Uk start at £450 but thats with shitty changeovers.

Overall it was quite illuminating, though having the sea gypsy plight seemed a bit like an add on. And her voice started to grate on me.

I was told average wages in Thailand are 8000bhat so that fits in with the 6000Bhat min monthly wage. I'm gonna make sure I leave a tip for the maid nxt trip as I didnt think to last time and feel bad about it now.

Just managed to watch the programme, seemed to have her heart in the right place and the Sea Gipsy V the developers

was a good angle to give the programme a bit of depth.

Must agree that her voice grated on the nerves after a while.