Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi people, can any of you guys tell me, whats the Criteria I would need to meet if I wanted to obtain a Thai car driving licence, other than the obvious need to be able to drive,

Cheers,

Rob.

Bring your UK licence.

You will need a non-Immigrant Visa.

Get a letter of residency from immigration.

Doctors Certificate (100-200 baht from most doctors)

Photos.

Some information here

I have had a Thai Driver's License for ten years although I have only had 60-day tourist visas up to this point so you don't have to have a Non-immigrant Visa.

The only difference is that without an annual visa each year they will renew for only another year. With a 12-month visa after the first year TDL at renewal you get a 5-year license.

Isn't an Int'l DL just as good? (And easier to get...)

No ... one reason is some insurance companies do not recognize "International" DLs as official. But read the fine print of your own insurance/liability policy and be sure what it says about whether you are covered ... or not ... if you drive in Thailand on either your US or an international license.

Good point. In my case however makes absolutely NO difference. With either one, I'm NOT covered and would have to arrange separate coverage either way. License is not the issue.

However, I think most renters are achieving their insurance through the credit card used for the rental rather than their own auto policies - CDW anyway.. That's worth checking into.

Edited by tomcat76

Bring your UK licence.

You will need a non-Immigrant Visa.

Get a letter of residency from immigration.

Doctors Certificate (100-200 baht from most doctors)

Photos.

Some information here

They take your pictures there now, don't forget to photo copy everything a few times. Thais love photo copies of everything.

You need to have a Thai license to get an international license here in LOS and you have to go to Chonburi for that.

They take your pictures there now, don't forget to photo copy everything a few times. Thais love photo copies of everything.

You need to have a Thai license to get an international license here in LOS and you have to go to Chonburi for that.

It's worth noting that your Thai licence is now valid throughout ASEAN (from last month) without the need for an IDP to support it.

Can someone learn to drive in Thailand and then come back home (UK) and drive legally?

I guess with an international license - yes. But the international license is only valid for 1 year

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but feel that starting a seperate one is more of a no-no, i'll tag this quick question on here:

I have (wait for it!!!!) and old style GREEN UK driving licence that is 100% still valid for use in UK. I've never moved in all the time since i was issued with it, and never felt the need to "upgrade" to any other

Around end of March/early April,however, i will be moving to Thailand for the foreseeable future (I'll go through the process of getting an O-A via the upgrade from tourist visa)

The question is, will this non photo licence be acceptable to the Thai DLA or whatever it is, or will i have to bite the bullet and get one of those wanky Euro photo/card ones?

Malc

Yeah that is an old link and I wasn't sure if the 1 year licence was also photographed at the DLC. You will need them for the residence letter I suppose.

Of course photocopies of everything, passport, entry card/stamp, visa etc etc. Most important thing to take in my mind is the TGF, she helps me out no end.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but feel that starting a seperate one is more of a no-no, i'll tag this quick question on here:

I have (wait for it!!!!) and old style GREEN UK driving licence that is 100% still valid for use in UK. I've never moved in all the time since i was issued with it, and never felt the need to "upgrade" to any other

Around end of March/early April,however, i will be moving to Thailand for the foreseeable future (I'll go through the process of getting an O-A via the upgrade from tourist visa)

The question is, will this non photo licence be acceptable to the Thai DLA or whatever it is, or will i have to bite the bullet and get one of those wanky Euro photo/card ones?

Malc

I don't know the answer to your question but ,I do know that sometime in 2015 your green paper license will become obsolete ,so you had best get a move on in changing it for a photo licence soon.It is also a good photo ID to have as most people who want ID accept ypour Photo License as ID,much more useful than the green thing.

Wait for January 19th and you should be able to be one of the first to get the new "European Driving Licence Card" :smile:

See nidirect.gov.uk/the-photocard-driving-licence-explained

front-of-licence.jpg

Wait for January 19th and you should be able to be one of the first to get the new "European Driving Licence Card" :smile:

See nidirect.gov.uk/the-photocard-driving-licence-explained

front-of-licence.jpg

I hope it will be issued from Swansea and not another thing the UK loses control of.

Many forget that the UK picture card licence needs to be renewed every 10 years, and as I am strictly speaking 'non-resident' shouldn't have one. I worry next time it won't fly with the Bureau/Eurocrats.

Edited by jacko

I have used my Thai license in Australia and the UK when hiring cars. In both countries it was accepted without comment. I had my UK license with me in case. I thought in the uk there might have been a surcharge but there wasn't. I use my thai one in case I trigger a speed camera in these countries. Whilst I might incur a fine I reckon there would not be any points added. I have to admit I really don't know.

Also jacko what's this about a 10 yr renewal? I thought I needn't do anything apart from advise of a new address until I'm 70 or something. There's a date on my license.

Also while we're here. Is there a question mark about a uk license's validity if you've lived outside of the country for a period of time?

I have used my Thai license in Australia and the UK when hiring cars. In both countries it was accepted without comment. I had my UK license with me in case. I thought in the uk there might have been a surcharge but there wasn't. I use my thai one in case I trigger a speed camera in these countries. Whilst I might incur a fine I reckon there would not be any points added. I have to admit I really don't know.

Also jacko what's this about a 10 yr renewal? I thought I needn't do anything apart from advise of a new address until I'm 70 or something. There's a date on my license.

Also while we're here. Is there a question mark about a uk license's validity if you've lived outside of the country for a period of time?

As to the speeding ticket....I think the rental company gets hit and they might have the right to hit your credit card again.

Damned good point about the points though!!!

Check the expiry date on your photo licence, if you are young enough likely it is before you are 70. It is item 4b) on there. Generally 10 years after item 4a). You are required to renew the photo every 10 years....perhaps your nose fell off!

They ask for a UK address on the licence,if that is valid, the licence is valid...... :clueless

Edited by jacko
Guest Fatboyfat

New licenses in UK have to be renewed every 10 years with an updated photo (plus £20 of course), fleecing the motorist being the prime directive here. The 1st anniversary of this "con" is coming about and there have been fines and penalty points awarded for non-compliance; even when the reminder was not sent out in advance! :angry2

New licenses in UK have to be renewed every 10 years with an updated photo (plus £20 of course), fleecing the motorist being the prime directive here. The 1st anniversary of this "con" is coming about and there have been fines and penalty points awarded for non-compliance; even when the reminder was not sent out in advance! :angry2

They have been around since 1998 haven't they?

Days of 'reminders ' a thing of the past, along with the plastic wallet they came with.

It would be counter-productive anyhow, more money in the fines. It was only incidental I noticed mine was expiring in 2009 and I got it done while in the UK (they still think I live with my mummy.. :D)

Im keeping my "my old green" license for as long as I can. Ive not heard anything though of "compulsory" changes over to the new rip off pay every 10 years license though?

People have 20 years to change their old license to the new European one.

Your old licence will stop to be valide somewhere in 2033...

The paper UK licence is OK, but as is commonly misunderstood (or denounced with spurious anecdotal 'Bertie Brownshirt didnt ask for it' stories) you need the International Licence to validate it

No International = no fast track to Thai licence (read taking tests and hours in that room :( )

UK its a no brainer to organise

Once you have the Thai licence(s) you dont need the foreign stuff again (in LOS) so long as you keep the Thai ones current

Thai international licence to use back in nanny land. OK for rentals (no insurer is about to give you your own policy on the strength of one). You may be able to thumb your nose at points re camera traps, but bear in mind if stopped for a motoring offence and its discovered that youre on a foreign license theres no ticket or arbitrary fine its the lockup and court in the morning ;)

The paper UK licence is OK, but as is commonly misunderstood (or denounced with spurious anecdotal 'Bertie Brownshirt didnt ask for it' stories) you need the International Licence to validate it

No International = no fast track to Thai licence (read taking tests and hours in that room :( )

UK its a no brainer to organise

Once you have the Thai licence(s) you dont need the foreign stuff again (in LOS) so long as you keep the Thai ones current

Thai international licence to use back in nanny land. OK for rentals (no insurer is about to give you your own policy on the strength of one). You may be able to thumb your nose at points re camera traps, but bear in mind if stopped for a motoring offence and its discovered that youre on a foreign license theres no ticket or arbitrary fine its the lockup and court in the morning ;)

I always thought it was more the regular UK licence that backs up the International One... not the other way around. But perhaps you are correct regarding the old paper one.

I didn't need the International licence to get my Thai one, just the picture card UK one, no tests other than the eyesight, reaction ones.

I use the UK one when in the UK, but an interesting option is using the Thai one, along with a Thai International. Outside of an incident I don't think there is much chance of being stopped by the UK police, I think it is all done with cameras. Would they really lock you up over-night?

Edited by jacko

I did use my Iternational license to simplify getting a Thai one........ (My 5 yr renewal is this October). All the info 5 yrs back was that an IDP was necessary to avoid the full test when applying for the inital one yr Thai DL.

I'm also interested in Regyai's comment on lock up and a magistrate...Is that really the case?