Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Books -- what are we reading lately?

Thanks for the link MLC, I have an interest in Tanks in general, more so the German ones from an engineering standpoint because they weren't over engineered like some may think, they were in fact over complicated for what they needed to do, however, the technology developed back then paved the way for modern day Tanks and armoured vehicles.

Tanks are cool. I got to go inside a WWII era tank when I was a kid at an airshow at Moffett Field Naval Air Station. I was too young to appreciate it or learn much about it but I did develope an affection for tanks and planes and other things that day.

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have recently been switching back and forth between Clive Cussler and Stuart Woods. Both have good books and some not as good. Kind of like Dean Koontz. I read my Kindle every night and listen to Au

Two weeks ago I finally finished Tolstoy's magnum opus - the epic War and Peace. Its plot is mainly concerned with Napoleon's war against Russia at the beginning of the 19th century and two aristocrat

First I'm supposed to have said I downloaded a version when I didn't and haven't.......Then called a Wuss... when I'm not......and declared a regular at the wonderful Cherry bar.....When I've only bee

Posted Images

I got to crawl around a Soviet T-55 tank once (in Hawaii, thanks for asking). Soviet tankers had to be short.

I got to crawl around a Soviet T-55 tank once (in Hawaii, thanks for asking). Soviet tankers had to be short.

Hi,

There was a tank battle in WW2 where the Soviet Union brought in loads of tanks on trains to outnumber the superior German ones. Not sure which battle ?

Hi,

There was a tank battle in WW2 where the Soviet Union brought in loads of tanks on trains to outnumber the superior German 9ones. Not sure which battle ?

Probably Kursk, the largest tank battle ever fought.
  • Upvote 1

Tanks were a big part on both sides in North Africa too.

They did indeed, and I'm no expert but the British Tanks were vastly outclassed by the German equivalent. The Cruisers were not reliable enough, and didn't have the penetration against the German armour, even with AP rounds, and it was really only with the introduction of the M4 Sherman , M3 Lee and the M3 Grant (the M3 Grant was a very similar tank but with a British turret) when the odds were finally somewhere near equalled. Surprisingly the M4 Sherman, most often associated with the European theatre of WW2 first saw action in North Africa in British hands. Needless to say there were a few surprised German Panzer commanders at El Alamein.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say "Thanks" to the USA for all their help in WW2, otherwise we'd have been well up shit (or should that be schiesse) creek without a paddle.

Edited by Butch

They did indeed, and I'm no expert but the British Tanks were vastly outclassed by the German equivalent. The Cruisers were not reliable enough, and didn't have the penetration against the German armour, even with AP rounds, and it was really only with the introduction of the M4 Sherman , M3 Lee and the M3 Grant (the M3 Grant was a very similar tank but with a British turret) when the odds were finally somewhere near equalled. Surprisingly the M4 Sherman, most often associated with the European theatre of WW2 first saw action in North Africa in British hands. Needless to say there were a few surprised German Panzer commanders at El Alamein.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say "Thanks" to the USA for all their help in WW2, otherwise we'd have been well up shit (or should that be schiesse) creek without a paddle.

Germany would have been eventually defeated without us. We may have eventually defeated Japan in the Pacific but we needed help there.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami which was an enjoyable read with one of the most quirky, eccentric plots I've ever read. He has a good writing style so I think I may well read some more of his. I'll give this one 8 out of 10. I've been so busy this year my reading rate has slowed down to it's slowest since 2012 when I only read 16 books. I normally read well over 20 but so far this year I'm on my tenth which is Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis.

• 4 months later...

I just finished Mark Bowden’s “Hue 1968:  A Turning Point of the American War in Vietnam”.  It’s one of the best non-fiction book that I’ve read about the Vietnam War.  

I was in high school in 1968 and getting too close for comfort to draft age so I was paying close attention to the news media accounts of the Tet Offensive.  I thought I knew a lot about it, but Mark Bowden’s book revealed that I knew very little.  I apparently was drinking General William Westmoreland’s Kool-Aid about the inconsequential and ineffective Viet Cong and NVA forces during the Battle of Hue.  

https://www.amazon.com/Hue-1968-Turning-American-Vietnam/dp/0802127002/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=battle+of+hue&qid=1551839669&s=gateway&sr=8-1

blog-hue-1968-edit-001.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...
On 3/6/2019 at 2:52 AM, Yujin said:

I just finished Mark Bowden’s “Hue 1968:  A Turning Point of the American War in Vietnam”.  It’s one of the best non-fiction book that I’ve read about the Vietnam War.  

I was in high school in 1968 and getting too close for comfort to draft age so I was paying close attention to the news media accounts of the Tet Offensive.  I thought I knew a lot about it, but Mark Bowden’s book revealed that I knew very little.  I apparently was drinking General William Westmoreland’s Kool-Aid about the inconsequential and ineffective Viet Cong and NVA forces during the Battle of Hue.  

https://www.amazon.com/Hue-1968-Turning-American-Vietnam/dp/0802127002/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=battle+of+hue&qid=1551839669&s=gateway&sr=8-1

blog-hue-1968-edit-001.jpg

There's another book coming out soon, I saw an article on it in the Daily Mail called "Shooting Vietnam" comes out at the end of July.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7228001/Gruesome-images-captured-military-photographers-pressure-politicians-end-campaign.html

Last time in Pattaya I found a copy of an eye opening book even if it was first printed in 1991 and revised to some degree in 2003. Seems ancient but very fresh for me. The book is PARLIAMENT OF WHORES by P.J. O'Rourke. I am sure that many Americans here have read it but for someone who has no understanding of the political set up in the US it is an eye opening page turner. P.J takes no prisoners but seems to be fair and well balanced as he has chips on either shoulder. A recommended read. 

• 3 years later...

Returning to this great thread because I have a Kindle problem. Suddenly I'm trying to buy books from the store only to find that they don't download properly and I get a message to delete the item for a refund. This is really annoying. Anyone else have this problem or know what's going on?  

28 minutes ago, Bushcraft said:

Returning to this great thread because I have a Kindle problem. Suddenly I'm trying to buy books from the store only to find that they don't download properly and I get a message to delete the item for a refund. This is really annoying. Anyone else have this problem or know what's going on?  

Because I always keep my Kindle in airplane mode to avoid software updates, I download my Kindle purchases and then copy the file via USB to my Kindle. Never a problem doing it this way. You'll find the option to download under Contents & Devices, Digital Content. Once downloaded, copy the azw3 file to the documents folder on the Kindle.

BTW, just finished reading the books E.E. Borton wrote. A good read if you're into his type of book.

image.png

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to give a plug for Canterbury Tales

OK I admit that I had trouble with Google Maps as I seem to get multiple destinations. I took the radical method of asking someone who had been there. It worked.

The new layout is great, easy to use and it is very well stocked as you would expect.

I picked up a newly published book (2022) and for 180 baht with a 50%return discount was a bargain.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

• Like 2