Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Chiang Mai - Mae Hong Song - Pai

Pai is very touristy, but these pics make me feel like visiting again. 

I have done the Mai Hong Son loop a couple of times, once many years ago using public transport, and another later in a truck. Stopped in a little tree house over a river valley in Pang Mapha. I was surprised how pleasant it was. Great coffee and breakfasts. I recall finding a bar run by a Thai lady whose Scottish husband was away working, but was selling off rather generous samples of his single malt collection for 60 baht a glass. 

I also recall changing money in the bank in Mae Hong Son and getting the best rate I ever saw for my sterling. Caught a bus from there and had the scariest ride ever where I thought we would be over the edge, or rolling back out of control to our demise. It broke down in the middle of nowhere and we were stranded for many hours. 

Edited by jacko

The GoGo scene in Chiang Mai is not impressive, so I mostly do the live music bars, which are great.  Worst thing about northern Thailand is the bars close at midnight.

IMG_20190710_215452.jpg

I found this sticker on a bench at the North Gate Jazz Coop, Wolski's is a bar in my home town  I used to frequent in the 1970's ?

IMG_20190718_201325.jpg

The 30 minute flight oto Mae Hong Song cost 1850, otherwise it 's 6 hours n a minibus.  I took the minibus back to Chiang Mai and stopped off halfway in Pai for 3 days.  Mae Hong Son has only 2 bars, easy to meet most tourists in town, usually only a few dozen.

Pai is always fun and is overridden with backpackers.  It sure was HOT out in the Pai canyon.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

I found this sticker on a bench at the North Gate Jazz Coop, Wolski's is a bar in my home town  I used to frequent in the 1970's ?

IMG_20190718_201325.jpg

Cool. A "I Closed Wolski's" sticker made it to Thailand. Use to frequent the bar too, although never got a sticker. Maybe b/c I never stayed to closing. Thanks for the TR.

Edited by forcebwithu
spelling
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Cool. A "I Closed Wolski's" sticker made it to Thailand. Use to frequent the bar too, although never got a sticker. Maybe b/c I never stayed to closing. Thanks for the TR.

Honest, I didn’t put it there. It was a friendly, neighborhood bar.  Pulaski Street, as I recall, and it never closed at midnight.

• Upvote 1