Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thailand extends ban on international flights until June end

Am sure into July/August inbound flights will come into force however the real problem will likely be the onerous restrictions/requirements to get you past that immigration guy or girl

Not surprisingly back here in the UK the supposed 2 week inbound quarantine starting next Monday is likely to be shelved it appears.

On 6/2/2020 at 7:17 AM, Rawhide2 said:

Am sure into July/August inbound flights will come into force however the real problem will likely be the onerous restrictions/requirements to get you past that immigration guy or girl

Not surprisingly back here in the UK the supposed 2 week inbound quarantine starting next Monday is likely to be shelved it appears.

Indeed it looks like a UK Government 'U' turn is on the cards before Monday 8th June.

On 6/2/2020 at 7:17 AM, Rawhide2 said:

If you look at the "exceptions" to the list, I think it would not be too difficult to make yourself one of them, Self Employed Lorry driver for one. I don't think they have any way of checking credentials there and then, so you could effectively say you worked for yourself and contracted to any number of Supply chains. I think that Uber, Taxi driver and Bus driver fall into that category.

https://immigrationbarrister.co.uk/who-is-exempt-from-the-14-day-coronavirus-quarantine-period/

"road haulage workers and road passenger transport workers;"

bottom line, get yourself a tenuous link and put it on the form. They're not exactly going to call your boss if you're self employed working as a delivery driver of... I dunno,.... fresh fish maybe.

47 minutes ago, Butch said:

If you look at the "exceptions" to the list, I think it would not be too difficult to make yourself one of them, Self Employed Lorry driver for one. I don't think they have any way of checking credentials there and then, so you could effectively say you worked for yourself and contracted to any number of Supply chains. I think that Uber, Taxi driver and Bus driver fall into that category.

https://immigrationbarrister.co.uk/who-is-exempt-from-the-14-day-coronavirus-quarantine-period/

bottom line, get yourself a tenuous link and put it on the form. They're not exactly going to call your boss if you're self employed working as a delivery driver of... I dunno,.... fresh fish maybe.

No quarantine for me!!! I've just been through that list and I'm in 2 of those categories..... :P

11 hours ago, Butch said:

Personally Butch I'd put big money on that 3 weeks from the 8th June this latest shambolic effort from the UK government will be booted into touch

56 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

Personally Butch I'd put big money on that 3 weeks from the 8th June this latest shambolic effort from the UK government will be booted into touch

This measure would have been better employed some months back.....

1 hour ago, jacko said:

This measure would have been better employed some months back.....

Better employed would also have been the now mandatory use of face masks on all forms of public transport! Horse and barn door spring to mind!

You couldn't concoct a bigger shambles than the UK's response in a work of fiction. Now, in June ffs, the British Medical Association finally comes out and says what many have said for at least 3 months: make mask-wearing compulsory when out of doors, not just on public transport as is now belatedly prescribed.

Suddenly the medical advice that masks are not effective has been reversed. In fact this has nothing to do with the efficacy or not of masks - common sense tells us that a face covering must afford some level of protection - and everything to do with the shortage of supply in the earlier months of this pandemic.

There was a woeful lack of preparation for a pandemic like this all over the world, not just in the UK of course. From January onwards the whole world was suddenly scrabbling for masks, and even the procurement people at the NHS (Europe's largest single employer, with huge purchasing clout), after having failed to lay in major usable stocks of PPE beforehand, proved unable to obtain reasonable supplies. China funnily and frighteningly enough being the major source of such supplies, as it still is.

So from the WHO downwards, the medical profession, scientific advisers and politicians touted the line that masks are ineffective. This was not based on science, but on the fear of creating a huge public demand for face masks all over the world, masks that were not available or only at ludicrous prices in the general rush. This in itself is a scandal, an outright lie to cover up lack of preparedness. Now that masks are far more available, they're suddenly effective and the UK and other countries are duly making them compulsory, as I predicted on this board some weeks ago. This has been the case in SE Asian countries for some months now, and all of these have very low infection/fatality rates. Coincidence?

Geographical exceptions such as Oz and NZ aside, and considering the huge fatality rates in the UK and US - if indeed these are to be believed as truly COVID-related deaths - might almost make one suspect that speaking English is a high risk factor. Were it not so tragic, the response in the UK at least has been a laughable shambles, and I shudder when I listen to the sheer bullshit on testing/tracing etc. still coming from UK politicians on the TV news.       

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
22 hours ago, Bushcraft said:

You couldn't concoct a bigger shambles than the UK's response in a work of fiction. Now, in June ffs, the British Medical Association finally comes out and says what many have said for at least 3 months: make mask-wearing compulsory when out of doors, not just on public transport as is now belatedly prescribed.

Suddenly the medical advice that masks are not effective has been reversed. In fact this has nothing to do with the efficacy or not of masks - common sense tells us that a face covering must afford some level of protection - and everything to do with the shortage of supply in the earlier months of this pandemic.

There was a woeful lack of preparation for a pandemic like this all over the world, not just in the UK of course. From January onwards the whole world was suddenly scrabbling for masks, and even the procurement people at the NHS (Europe's largest single employer, with huge purchasing clout), after having failed to lay in major usable stocks of PPE beforehand, proved unable to obtain reasonable supplies. China funnily and frighteningly enough being the major source of such supplies, as it still is.

So from the WHO downwards, the medical profession, scientific advisers and politicians touted the line that masks are ineffective. This was not based on science, but on the fear of creating a huge public demand for face masks all over the world, masks that were not available or only at ludicrous prices in the general rush. This in itself is a scandal, an outright lie to cover up lack of preparedness. Now that masks are far more available, they're suddenly effective and the UK and other countries are duly making them compulsory, as I predicted on this board some weeks ago. This has been the case in SE Asian countries for some months now, and all of these have very low infection/fatality rates. Coincidence?

Geographical exceptions such as Oz and NZ aside, and considering the huge fatality rates in the UK and US - if indeed these are to be believed as truly COVID-related deaths - might almost make one suspect that speaking English is a high risk factor. Were it not so tragic, the response in the UK at least has been a laughable shambles, and I shudder when I listen to the sheer bullshit on testing/tracing etc. still coming from UK politicians on the TV news.       

Sums it up very accurately.

The testing and tracing is a joke. We had a local car park turned into a testing facility, drive by at any given time of day, it is empty or perhaps has 2 or 3 cars. The Mcdonalds drive thru has more custom. I read recently that the testing isn't being done correctly, the nasal swab needs to go right up the cavity, which is bloody uncomfortable even when they just stick it up an inch or so, let alone all the way. Like the old "umbrella treatment" and equally as unpleasant.

The mask issue was always a disguised attempt at as you say, stopping a huge spike in demand so the NHS / Civil Service (Police etc) could not obtain them. On the face of it, anyone knows that you can get a cold off someone else if they cough near you, C-19 is a "cold" or Virus, so it stands to reason it will be spread the same way, thus wearing a mask will protect and the figures speak for themselves. I'm not sure which I am more annoyed at, the fact that we were lied to, or the fact that the Govt thought we were stupid enough not to realise the benefit of wearing a mask even without the advice.

The deaths are always going to be an area of contention, due to them not being correctly reported in the first place, and then anyone who died displaying symptoms were added to the list, then those at home or in care homes, it was and remains an utter shambles.

In addition,  there was the indignity of people dying alone, not allowed to be with their loved ones, and not being able to have a decent funeral. That's the real travesty of all this.