Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

3 hours ago, keyman said:

I notice they give different rates for larger denomination notes for dollars - does anyone if they do the same for sterling anywhere?

KM

In Bangkok Superrich routinely gives 10 Satang more for a 50 than other UK denominations.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, VPI78 said:

In Bangkok Superrich routinely gives 10 Satang more for a 50 than other UK denominations.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:59 PM, Bazle said:

SuperRich in BKK at 17:49 today. (Sorry for the crap picture.) 

2019-08-28 17.53.14.png

Thanks Jacko. Seeing the rates on a regular basis is quite important to we people not in the country. It is also handy to compare with what can buy baht for in our home country.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

I am almost sure I found the TT rates online before (as well as the Yenjit rates in both Bangkok and Pattaya).
But I can't seem to find them now?

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Odense said:

I am almost sure I found the TT rates online before (as well as the Yenjit rates in both Bangkok and Pattaya).
But I can't seem to find them now?

you can find them by going to the "TT currency exchange" facebook page, that gives a daily update on the rate.

you can find them by going to the "TT currency exchange" facebook page, that gives a daily update on the rate.
Not really. It is just 6 randomly selected rates they are posting. Not including my currency.
The link to their homepage does not work for me.
Then it is better to rely on the pics here (or find the interbank rate).

1 hour ago, Odense said:

Then it is better to rely on the pics here (or find the interbank rate).

Just use any app or google to get live Interbank than knock 20 Satang off if you're a Brit but remember rates move so thats only applicable in comparison to interbank when that update goes live on screen.

You can do the same process for Euro AUD etc etc by noting the Interbank rate on a live update and seeing the spread. I'd guess at those two without checking around 17 Satang less for Euro and 11 Satang less for AUD users

By knowing the spread all you need to know at any time is Interbank rates to work it out

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Thanks 1

I just checked Transferwise and they are, right now, 37,56 nett of charges to transfer from a UK bank account. 

It appears when parliament are not in session things are better, get rid of 620 more Boris! I noticed yesterday at 8am UK time it spiked up then took a good dive, but recovered. I expect it will be calmer now until October 14th when the circus is back in town. 

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, jacko said:

I just checked Transferwise and they are, right now, 37,56 nett of charges to transfer from a UK bank account. 

It appears when parliament are not in session things are better, get rid of 620 more Boris! I noticed yesterday at 8am UK time it spiked up then took a good dive, but recovered. I expect it will be calmer now until October 14th when the circus is back in town. 

It shot up due to augusts GDP growing 0.3% and probably making us not going into recession when they release the next 3 months period data.

1 hour ago, tombon said:

It shot up due to augusts GDP growing 0.3% and probably making us not going into recession when they release the next 3 months period data.

But why was there a plummet straight after.... just sensitivity in the market?

• Like 1

The US dollar remains strong against most currencies.  Japanese yen and Swiss franc strong.  China has let the yuan plummet to offset trade war with the US.  Currencies like New Zealand's with strong trade with China suffer.......A lot of charts and graphs in the article which do not paste well.  Worth trying to find a site with the WSJ link that will let you in.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/global-drop-in-currencies-bruises-investors-11568194207?mod=hp_lead_pos3

Global Drop in Currencies Bruises Investors

Economic concern and U.S.-China trade dispute ripple through markets

Currency performance against the dollar by regionSource: FactSet
%Yuan crosses 7to the dollarTrade talks endwithout a dealAsia excluding JapanEuropeEmerging marketsJan. ’19Feb.MarchAprilMayJuneJulyAug.Sept.-5-4-3-2-10123Emerging marketsxFeb. 15, 2019x1.29%
By 
Ira Iosebashvili

Currencies around the world are tumbling to multiyear lows, bruising investors’ portfolios and fanning the flames of a global trade war.

The Chinese yuan recently hit its lowest level in more than a decade against the dollar, the euro dropped to a fresh two-year low last week and the British pound is at depths it hasn’t consistently plumbed since the 1980s.

Some emerging-market currencies such as the Colombian peso have fallen to their lowest prices on record against the dollar, while Argentina has recently introduced capital controls after its peso plunged in August. Out of 41 currencies tracked by The Wall Street Journal, only nine are up against the dollar in 2019.

“People are becoming more concerned about currencies because currencies are becoming more dangerous,” said Kit Juckes, global strategist at Société Générale.

The declines highlight how fears of a global slowdown and a burgeoning trade dispute between the U.S. and China have converged to ripple through markets in recent months. Central banks began cutting interest rates earlier this year, ending a short-lived period when many were tightening monetary policy or signaling that higher borrowing costs were on the way.

10-year government bond yields in Germany and JapanSource: FactSet
%GermanyJapan2018’19-0.75-0.50-0.250.000.250.500.75GermanyxOct. 16, 2018x0.49%

As falling rates and slowing growth drove bond yields lower, investors headed to the U.S., where the economy is relatively strong and the payout on Treasurys stands far above that offered by many other government bonds. That shift has weighed on large parts of the foreign-exchange market while pushing the dollar up to historic highs against the currencies of many U.S. trading partners.

Mr. Juckes is advising clients to bet on the dollar and Japanese yen rising against a variety of emerging-market currencies, including the South African rand, Polish zloty and South Korean won.

Many countries are benefiting from cheaper currencies, which tend to make exporters’ products more competitive abroad and boost economic growth. That can leave their trading partners little choice but to allow their own currencies to weaken.

im-104992?width=620&size=1.5
Argentina’s peso has dropped more than 30% against the dollar in the past year. PHOTO: AGUSTIN MARCARIAN/REUTERS

China in early August allowed its yuan to drop below levels long thought to be sacrosanct after the U.S. announced additional tariffs in an escalating trade dispute between the two countries, accelerating this year’s slide in a broad range of currencies. The U.S., in response, designated China a currency manipulator for the first time since 1994.

While Group of 20 nations have pledged not to use their exchange rates for competitive gains, most countries have done little to prevent their currencies from falling. A total of 14 central banks cut rates last month, including Mexico, India and Hong Kong, up from eight in July, according to the Bank for International Settlements. Lower rates tend to weaken currencies by making them less attractive to yield-seeking investors.

The widespread declines could have a number of far-reaching effects.

B3-EY132_FXFALL_16U_20190910180755.jpg

Year-to-date performance against the dollar of a selection of 41 currencies

Ukrainian hryvnia: ▲ 10.9%

10%

Israeli shekel: ▲ 5.5%

Canadian dollar: ▲ 3.7%

Swiss franc: ▼ -1.0%

British pound: ▼ 3.1%

Brazilian real: ▼ 4.9%

–5

South Korean won: ▼ 6.5%

Turkish lira: ▼ 8.3%

–10

Uruguayan peso: ▼ 11.1%

–15

–20

–25

–30

Argentine peso: ▼ 32.7%

–35

Note: Data as of Tuesday

Source: Tullett Prebon

Rich economies such as Europe are likely to welcome a weaker currency, which can stoke growth by making exports more competitive and help spur inflation. That is a goal that the European Central Bank has failed to achieve despite years of ultralow interest rates. The euro recently traded at $1.1045, down more than 6% from last September.

For developing countries, however, a depreciating currency can be a headache. Accelerating inflation can be a problem in emerging markets, where central banks must often fight to keep prices from rising too quickly.

A falling currency makes it harder for developing countries to service their dollar-denominated debt. Too sharp a drop can unnerve investors, causing a stampede as money managers ditch emerging-market assets.

“Most analysis of currency wars begins and ends with the view that the country that depreciates the most wins,” analysts at Standard Chartered said in a note to clients. However, “the likely winner is the country that can best handle the consequences of depreciation.”

One country now facing the consequences of a plunge in its currency is Argentina, where the government recently imposed capital controls and has frozen prices for gasoline and some food products as it fights to stem inflation, which runs at over 50%. The Argentine peso has dropped more than 30% against the dollar in the past year, and the country’s markets have hurt several prominent investors including the hedge fund Autonomy Capital, which lost $1 billion on investments tied to Argentina last month.

The list of currencies that are at or near multiyear lows against the dollar includes the New Zealand dollar and Chilean peso, which are heavily swayed by their countries’ trade links with China. In Europe, the currencies of Sweden, Norway and Poland have been hard hit by the region’s economic woes.

Trade-weighted dollar index, weeklySource: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
1996’982000’02’04’06’08’10’12’14’16’188090100110120130140

Not all currencies are falling. Investors have cheered changes promised by Ukraine’s new president and pushed up the country’s hryvnia to make it one of the world’s best-performing currencies. Those seeking shelter from volatile markets and trade wars have piled into the Japanese yen and Swiss franc, although some are growing wary that the central banks in those countries may not tolerate their currencies rising for much longer.

Newsletter Sign-up

Meanwhile, the trade-weighted dollar index, which measures the greenback against the currencies of its trading partners, hit an all-time high this month. But the dollar’s persistent strength has raised the chances that the U.S. will intervene in markets to weaken the currency, a rare move that the Trump administration has previously rejected, analysts said.

“There doesn’t seem to be any resolution to the trade war coming, and the currencies markets are responding to that negative feedback,” said Mark McCormick, global head of foreign-exchange strategy at TD Securities. “You can get burned on anything these days.”

To receive our Markets newsletter every morning in your inbox, click here.

Write to Ira Iosebashvili at ira.iosebashvili@wsj.com

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

If currencies around the globe continue to fall, how do you expect global trade to change? Join the conversation below.

Edited by BigusDicus

Not wanting to get political on this, but as UK parliament is effectively closed for the next 5 weeks, what direction do we expect Sterling to head in, or will it remain static, unless it reacts to news from the EU concerning Brexit?.

19 minutes ago, garytheanimal said:

Hoping that the will we won’t we with Brexit is over by next May when I go back. The first time I went it was 75 to the pound ?

Brexit is likely to make that worse, not better. At least initially. 

And when you get a chance, please follow the instructions for activating your account... that will remove your posting restrictions and remove you from moderation. ?

1 hour ago, frostfire said:

Brexit is likely to make that worse, not better. At least initially. 

And when you get a chance, please follow the instructions for activating your account... that will remove your posting restrictions and remove you from moderation. ?

Fingers crossed we don't leave then.

I've tried to validate again via the email that was sent, but it's telling me my account doesn't require validation.

16 minutes ago, garytheanimal said:

Fingers crossed we don't leave then.

I've tried to validate again via the email that was sent, but it's telling me my account doesn't require validation.

its a secondary validation... described in a post you were sent to right after you registered. Here is a link to it: