Jump to content
Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
Chang_paarp

The rate on the street.

Recommended Posts

Phew!!!!

 

Its still (just !) over the 40 mark...

 

Never thought Id be sort of happy to say that!! Hope they sort this Brexit thing out soon! Hopefully that will help sterling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, marleyboy said:

Phew!!!!

 

Its still (just !) over the 40 mark...

 

Never thought Id be sort of happy to say that!! Hope they sort this Brexit thing out soon! Hopefully that will help sterling!

Hi,

The big car makers are in turmoil with the diesel scandal and the move to electric etc... JLR and Ford are cutting back and Brexit is far from resolved. The big techs have lost lots of their worth in the last few months. It's going to be a tough year. All we can do is hope for the best. Buy some gold, if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

The big car makers are in turmoil with the diesel scandal and the move to electric etc... JLR and Ford are cutting back and Brexit is far from resolved. The big techs have lost lots of their worth in the last few months. It's going to be a tough year. All we can do is hope for the best. Buy some gold, if you can.

I will (hopefully!) be retiring in about 2 years.

Im planning, on spending the winters in Thailand.

Luckily, I have the use of a house over on the "darkside"....so thats at least spared me the  expense of paying for a hotel.!

I have no idea, what the exchange rate will be in 2 years time (let alone 2 weeks time!)....Im hoping it gets nearer to 50 again though?!

 

You are right in that its going to be a tough year......maybe a tough few years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, marleyboy said:

I will (hopefully!) be retiring in about 2 years.

Im planning, on spending the winters in Thailand.

 

Hi,

This is the first winter I've felt the cold. I now know why older people go to Spain for the Winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

This is the first winter I've felt the cold. I now know why older people go to Spain for the Winter.

People who live out here, and go back to UK for Xmas, say the aches start when they get off the plane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jacko said:

People who live out here, and go back to UK for Xmas, say the aches start when they get off the plane!

Hi,

Yeah, It must be tough to come back in mid Winter. Summertime ain't too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35:95 for one Euro with super rich at the airport today ,35:93 from TT jomtien this evening,western currencies looked down across the board.

Edited by yselmike
35 not 36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night at the TT on Beach Rd near Soi 7.

 

 

20190116_194829.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again last night on Beach Rd near soi 7, before the PT Crawl when I lost my ability to work my phone!

20190123_193019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   :unsure:

20190127_125837.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, jacko said:

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   :unsure:

20190127_125837.jpg

Well!

 

You might be pleased....Im well chuffed! I arrive in Patts, on Thursday....as long as it stays over the 40 mark...

 

I will be a happy bunny!

 

ps.  Thanks for the photo updates of the rates...much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 11:58 PM, marleyboy said:

You might be pleased....Im well chuffed! I arrive in Patts, on Thursday....as long as it stays over the 40 mark...

I think after the vote in the House yesterday you might do well. When Mrs May talks to Europe I am expecting a fall again!

(Unless they preempt her efforts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sad about two things. Firtly is the crap exchange rate that I am getting but the other is more serious. Why isnt it possible to sit down with my Thai girl friend and have a reasonable conversation about the exchange rate and its ramifacations as to my spending ability in Thailand? She is a financial genius in that she knows exactly how much she can push me in order to get the best return on capital or indeed "Sweat Labour" and yet basic economics appear outside her grasp. Well this is the mysterious Orient so I guess that like Mozarts music I will simply have to accept the genius displayed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pound is strengthening against the US$, but guess what, the US$ is tumbling against the baht. Net result, back to sub 41!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jacko said:

Pound is strengthening against the US$, but guess what, the US$ is tumbling against the baht. Net result, back to sub 41!

Hi,

The Western currencies seem to be relatively stable amoungst themselves. It's against the Baht that the £ has really taken a hammering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

The Western currencies seem to be relatively stable amoungst themselves. It's against the Baht that the £ has really taken a hammering.

The euro is taking a bit of a kicking against the baht.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And down again..... Friday 1st Feb.

20190201_133521.jpg

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 11:57 AM, yselmike said:

The euro is taking a bit of a kicking against the baht.

 

Hi,

At once stage it was close to 30,40,50 to the $,€,£. The dollar has held around 30 but the other 2 are well down. Gold is on the up which is usually a bad sign for fiat currencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

At once stage it was close to 30,40,50 to the $,€,£. The dollar has held around 30 but the other 2 are well down. Gold is on the up which is usually a bad sign for fiat currencies.

Gold is up because it looks like the US Fed has capitulated.  It will be money printing from now until doomsday.  People are looking to preserve their wealth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

At once stage it was close to 30,40,50 to the $,€,£. The dollar has held around 30 but the other 2 are well down. Gold is on the up which is usually a bad sign for fiat currencies.

The best I have had for my euro, in Thailand 50 baht,in the UK 1 pound for 1 euro,one time in Cambodia I got $1:50 us for one euro.In march 2002 just after the Guilder was dropped and we got actual Euro's I was on Samui I paid my hotel bill with my MasterCard and the rate was 32:93 for one Euro that was painfull.I don't really see any prospects of Euro rising significantly ever.Been in Jomtien 18 days now taken one girl and not had any massages of any sort in that time working on my tan and reducing my waist size.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real problem is two fold. Firstly the rising value of the Baht against the USD which effects absolutely everyone (bar those paid in Baht locally) and secondly our home countries weak currency showing against the Dollar whether Euro Sterling Aussie Dollar etc

Until both sides of the two pairings start moving favourably in our direction we'll continue to see poor exchange rates. Dollar/Baht is heading sub 30 with Thailands vast foreign currency reserves able to sustain it indefinately should they choose to. If they want to weaken their own currency the BOT simply has to sell it on international forex markets but they certainly seem relucatant to do so even if its effecting imports/exports

A drop to Dollar/Baht of 29 would put Sterling Baht at around 37.9 assuming Sterling/Dollar stayed at current ratio. For many dropping to 41/42 has seen them red card the country

With record numbers of Asean visitors coming to Thailand they have little interest in assisting a very dwindling band of visitors outside that domain by weakening the baht. For Brits best hope is that we return to the $1.50 and above we were at pre referendum once Brexit is done and dusted

Edited by Rawhide2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, js007 said:

Gold is up because it looks like the US Fed has capitulated.  It will be money printing from now until doomsday.  People are looking to preserve their wealth. 

Hi,

Yeah, I feel this is a critical year for us all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

Yeah, I feel this is a critical year for us all.

Wac, you been saying that since 2008!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you recently TT'ed some money over from the UK and it lands at SCB this morning, they are going to give you 39.9425 baht/£

Sub 40 for the first time I believe.

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jacko said:

If you recently TT'ed some money over from the UK and it lands at SCB this morning, they are going to give you 39.9425 baht/£

Sub 40 for the first time I believe.

That is bloody painful. we have some news re Tusk and his comments about NI, getting him in hot water but uniting the govt in a way, perversely. Hope it might have a positive influence but I doubt it...

Edited by Butch
spelling and fat fingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...