Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I recall that in my earlier trips to Asia I would always allocate a certain amount of money each day to give to deserving cases or the local monks that came calling.I almost felt bad should I ever miss a day. Over that time things have changed a bit and I have become hardened to all those pathetic mums with babies and a paper cup begging for baht. The 'each day' became every other day and even then became less important to me.

I admit that I really know little about the Buddhist system of gaining merit but essentially I guess that I give some of what I have to someone with less and I guess I am doing a good thing.I am all in favour of offering a helping hand but wonder if other boardies have any rules, give a set amount or just ignore the whole thing?

I am also interested to know how the local Thais see their less fortunate fellow citizens as I rarely see them give money to street beggars.Perhaps they do it in private to gain merit but I just wouldnt know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My wife is Buddhist but she donates regularly to Father Ray in Pattaya. Her sister used to work in a hotel in Pattaya and attended one of the Father!s functions several years ago. Since that time over 15 years ago most of the family chooses Father Ray as their charity of choice.

So my experience is the Thais do not limit charity exclusively to Buddhist causes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We Always allocate monies to deserving causes,

our current preferences are directed to the Lick pussy , Finger, and Grope charity,

reciprocunts can be found in most go go bars,

at least you know the monies going to a worthwhile cause

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We Always allocate monies to deserving causes,

our current preferences are directed to the Lick pussy , Finger, and Grope charity,

reciprocunts can be found in most go go bars,

at least you know the monies going to a worthwhile cause

Profound

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

profound [prəˈfaʊnd]

adj

1. penetrating deeply into subjects or ideas a profound mind

2. showing or requiring great knowledge or understanding

3. situated at or extending to a great depth (absolutely)

4. reaching to or stemming from the depths of one's nature

purrfect

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

father rays seems to be established a long time, i know tropical berts do charity work as well. the hardest thing is trying to find who is genuine and who is fake. and that goes for farangs as well as thais.

• Upvote 2

father rays seems to be established a long time, i know tropical berts do charity work as well. the hardest thing is trying to find who is genuine and who is fake. and that goes for farangs as well as thais.

That’s to true Hillbilly, I give a small amount to the organisation linked in my signature every month because I know that makes a difference. Having visited there place a couple of times

and been very impressed with there work (the pasta lunch was very impressive as well) :llaugh

. As for the rest if I see a Thai give to the “street” beggars I tend to think that is genuine and have been known to pass some baht on to a girls to donate. Other than that I tend to try and ignore the pan handlers that come around.

Edited by Montydog

I recall that in my earlier trips to Asia I would always allocate a certain amount of money each day to give to deserving cases or the local monks that came calling.I almost felt bad should I ever miss a day. Over that time things have changed a bit and I have become hardened to all those pathetic mums with babies and a paper cup begging for baht. The 'each day' became every other day and even then became less important to me.

I admit that I really know little about the Buddhist system of gaining merit but essentially I guess that I give some of what I have to someone with less and I guess I am doing a good thing.I am all in favour of offering a helping hand but wonder if other boardies have any rules, give a set amount or just ignore the whole thing?

I am also interested to know how the local Thais see their less fortunate fellow citizens as I rarely see them give money to street beggars.Perhaps they do it in private to gain merit but I just wouldnt know.

Sometimes it is very difficult to not give to some pathetic looking deserving case.

But I, like you, have become hardened to it.

The woman with the pathetic lolling child (well I have always often thought the child looked reasonably nourished), I refuse, organised Mafia style begging, you are donating to some shit's Mercedes.

My thoughts are that by giving, you are condoning and propagating the practice, so I don't.

As to the monks, well I have become cynical. The head monk in our area likes to wake everyone over the loudspeaker system at 5am, he is often heard berating the 'donations', and speaking in a negative way, most un-monk like. They rarely venture up my little dead end street, and likely too early for me. Even the TGF goes to a more distant Wat for her occasional merit. Her little nephew just arrived here after a spell as a monk, someone stole his mobile in the Wat.

I appease my guilt by an occasional cash donation to the disabled rubbish scavenger who struggles up the street. The TGF says it goes on lao khao, I don't begrudge him that. I have been known to give a bag of supplies to shack inhabitants around Christmas, one without a nice vehicle parked outside!

Edited by jacko

Being married to a Thai , I am guided by my wife as to which Thais need help and , in fact , leave it entirely to her - Personally , I support the Jesters at Jamesons - I help them with donations of books for their book stall at their fair and I attend their fund-raising events . That way , I feel I am helping the Thais from two directions - but I never personally give a hand-out to the street mendicants . My wife even warns me about some monks saying that they are not 'good monks' .

I been told by those in the know, more specifically, farangs that run the Mercy Cntr. in the Kloeng Toi slums of Bangkok this: there is a beggars Mafia alive and well in Thailand. Basically the beggars are prostituted and the pimps keep all the money. The rule of thumb is if you see Thais giving its safe to give, And watch out for the fake Monks. If they come up to you asking for money they're not real Thai Buddist Monks. The real ones you hafto stop.

Apart from Temples donations and feeding Buddha in the morning ,

Father Rays , and the blind school come high on the list , with the last two you can see what the cash is spent on ,

Joe

I heard, (a little bird told me) that the finches we are asked to pay to set 'free' from their tiny cages, are trained to fly straight back to their 'owners' shacks.....(mansions)?..... to be set free again tomorrow.

Surely the Thias doing this gain de-merits in their 'tally of life......' little red minus' put next to Somchai's name......I suppose it's rationalised in some way...........

Maybe.........

....."Money is evil......it's the cause of so many of the world's problems...so much fighting and jealousy......So many sleepless nights...so many unhappy people.........Because I care and and want to help make you happy..........give your money to me!"

Yeah that will do it!

Edited by atlas2

I heard, (a little bird told me) that the finches we are asked to pay to set 'free' from their tiny cages, are trained to fly straight back to their 'owners' shacks.....(mansions)?..... to be set free again tomorrow.

Surely the Thias doing this gain de-merits in their 'tally of life......' little red minus' put next to Somchai's name......I suppose it's rationalised in some way...........

Maybe.........

....."Money is evil......it's the cause of so many of the world's problems...so much fighting and jealousy......So many sleepless nights...so many unhappy people.........Because I care and and want to help make you happy..........give your money to me!"

Yeah that will do it!

Not all of them make it home.

P1000607a.jpg

• Upvote 1

On my trip last month saw several Thai ladies giving change to the street beggars; had not seen that before.

Old news. True all over SEA I think. It's even in the movies. 'Wonder if it might "make merit" for the unknowing payer. So, for the deep thinkers, does the birdman make merit for himself by giving you the chance to make merit for yourself (assuming you don't know that the birds fly back and assuming he doesn't actually mistreat his birds)? 'Seems like good intentions on the part of the payer at least should have some kharmic value.

Old news. True all over SEA I think. It's even in the movies. 'Wonder if it might "make merit" for the unknowing payer. So, for the deep thinkers, does the birdman make merit for himself by giving you the chance to make merit for yourself (assuming you don't know that the birds fly back and assuming he doesn't actually mistreat his birds)? 'Seems like good intentions on the part of the payer at least should have some kharmic value.

An interesting theory and I'm thinking along the same lines.....Can Karma merits be awarded, by 'interpretation' in either side of a given situation? Can Karma be bent to suit whatever view point you take?? Or is karma an incorruptible force beyond interpretation?

Buddhists please explain

Just yesterday a girl I've known for 4 years took me to a lake between Teprasit road and Sukumvit ........It's the park with the 2 Concrete elephants outside it on the same road as Rioja. She goes there to make merit. She buys fish,and gob, and jinjock at a nearby market and sets them free in the lake. What a lovely girl I thought.

Later at Cafe le Mar over lunch....when I told her a friend of mine who recently returned to the UK was sick she said, "Good I hope he dies" (He had given my number to another girl over Songkran, so she had a motive....but!!).......lovely girl I thought....Buddhists please explain!

An interesting theory and I'm thinking along the same lines.....Can Karma merits be awarded, by 'interpretation' in either side of a given situation? Can Karma be bent to suit whatever view point you take?? Or is karma an incorruptible force beyond interpretation?

Buddhists please explain

Just yesterday a girl I've known for 4 years took me to a lake between Teprasit road and Sukumvit ........It's the park with the 2 Concrete elephants outside it on the same road as Rioja. She goes there to make merit. She buys fish,and gob, and jinjock at a nearby market and sets them free in the lake. What a lovely girl I thought.

Later at Cafe le Mar over lunch....when I told her a friend of mine who recently returned to the UK was sick she said, "Good I hope he dies" (He had given my number to another girl over Songkran, so she had a motive....but!!).......lovely girl I thought....Buddhists please explain!

Please explain why you curiously seem to assume all Buddhists are orthodox and perfectly adherent to the faith. Yet there are few if any Christians, Muslims, Jews or any other faith perfect in their practice of their beliefs. Let he without sin cast the first stone, eh?

I know greater than 90% of Thais self-identify as Buddhists but I suspect most of them sin one way or another... and often, whether it is drinking alcohol, being unfaithful to spouses, killing animals, etc.

Please explain how you or your faith adherence is any different.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Perhaps he doesn't self identify with any particular faith, or adheres to none.

To proclaim a faith and not adhere to it's tenets and restrictions is perhaps a hypocrisy he highlights.

Here are 10 commandments, pick any 4!

Perhaps he doesn't self identify with any particular faith, or adheres to none.

To proclaim a faith and not adhere to it's tenets and restrictions is perhaps a hypocrisy he highlights.

Here are 10 commandments, pick any 4!

Yes it is hypocritical but hardly limited to Buddhism ... or Atheists for that matter. Many an atheist slips up with a "God save me" from time to time. I suspect Atlas is no different from anyone else in that regard; irrespective of his beliefs or disbeliefs.

We all believe in something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe I'll have another beer.

Little Roy

Haha, the old ones are the best.

But I don't really go along with the concept that an atheist taking the Lords name in vain is somehow breaking his religious vows. :clueless

I have found in my life experiences, those who profess or put forth a pious appearance, have below it a vile bigotry.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

For 40 years , I was a member of a very active Lions Club . Most of the members were pretty hardened drinkers , many were adulterers , nearly all were blasphemers and very few were regular church-goers - but they did more good for the needy in the area than all the churches put together . Actions speak louder than any words .

• Upvote 2

Please explain why you curiously seem to assume all Buddhists are orthodox and perfectly adherent to the faith. Yet there are few if any Christians, Muslims, Jews or any other faith perfect in their practice of their beliefs. Let he without sin cast the first stone, eh?

I know greater than 90% of Thais self-identify as Buddhists but I suspect most of them sin one way or another... and often, whether it is drinking alcohol, being unfaithful to spouses, killing animals, etc.

Good morning VPL...."May the 4th be with you!"

Sorry for the delay, a Karmicly conspired power cut occurred in Jomtien, just as I was about to press the post button the day before yesterday. Honest.... as God is my witness! Of course, when I'd paid my bill for breakfast the power came back on, but one of the world's greatest posts was lost forever.

Yesterday, at breakfast the internet was still down so..............Here we are!

I'm 'C of E', and proud of it! Though for me that basically means,..... Christmas and Easter! ......You know the presents and the chocolate eggs........! I don't have anything that could be classed as an adherence......Yet I'm not an atheist either. It's a bit of a muddle I agree.

I'll admit to a little envy of people with a faith..... and the comfort that that must be to them.....For me I don't even believe in 'pantie lines' unless they're 'visible' 'VPL'

What I'm saying is that I don't have a religious axe to grind. I find Buddhism ( what I know of it ) to be very interesting. The merit system and Karma much more intriguing than the straight....C of E Choice

...."Well atlas my boy, what's it to be for you... Heaven, or Hell? ...Or do you fancy a little bit of purgatory first?"

"Well Heaven would be nice Lord...may I call you Lord?"

"Hummn....Well you remember when you were 6 years old.... the day you put the black, fish-eating fish in with the angel fish of your mate's aquarium?"

"Didn't think you saw that Lord.......Err!"

" Absolute bloody carnage atlas.......I couldn't miss that!...And the next day you farted in assembly right in the middle of My prayer.........."

.........Basically, if there's a God, and he's still keeping score, and he's gonna go 'that' far back... then... I'm buggered!

The posts above in this thread could be catogorised as expressing some element of doubt as to who any charitable giving in Pattaya ends up going to. I think that same doubt can be felt in Western countries as well. From Oxfam, Unesco, and the World Wild Life fund (King Carlos)......to the Vicar's Sunday collection plate.

We're all a suspicious lot when it comes to giving our money away! All races, all religions all beliefs!

OK, having established that....And hopefully 'un-twisted your knickers'.... 'VPL'

.....I asked 2 questions. #1 was for someone (yourself maybe) who know a bit about it to give us their thoughts on Karma as an incorruptible force. And how it works.

Question #2 I'll agree is probably not answerable...It's how the girl justified the merit making at the lake with the call for the death of my friend following as they did so closely one after the other. I should think the merits she'd accrued gave her a little leeway for the day...But maybe it put her back to square one.....or would it undo all the good and push her into negative territory. In which case I'd better get her off to the 'Fish-shop sharpish.

As it happens I saw the girl in question yesterday and she said she'd gone to bed early that night to have a "lottery dream" but couldn't sleep because she felt so bad about her words. Which sounds like good old Christian ....even Jewish guilt to me. An important element you'll agree in any 'adherence'.

Anyway I'd be interested in your comments.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1