Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Prices starting to drop

I phoned West- East last week. I was quoted £550ish for Eva. Thai was over £800. When I asked why Thai was lots more (I want to go for 6 weeks.....Thai would have been £610 for 4 weeks), I was told it was because their latest promotion runs out before my flight date? (I want to fly Jan 12) . The lady told me Thai will probably have another promotion in October? Thinking about it, the last few years, Ive gone in January, and booked the ticket in October.

I will give it another fortnight, to see if Thai can get to about £600..............I prefer the Thai flight times (I like to leave heathrow mid-day, and arrive into Heathrow in the morning.

ps This January I was lucky enough (first time ever T.B.H!) to have 3! seats to myself both directions!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So Im back. Worst trip of my life and probably my last. Heres a tip. NEVER fly BA especially if they are using the 777's. The seat spacing is horrendous, little more than being in a mini prison cell.

Goldpanner, that's a tale of abysmal customer service which everyone should be reading. I don't know what it is with BA, their CS stinks. we were "stranded" in the PI back when the skies above the UK

Is anyone traveling from LHR to BKK by EVA these days? For the last two months,their fares for direct non-stop flights oscillate around 560 GBP whilst Thai have been floated at 800 GBP for exactly the same journey. Thai have two flights a day,EVA just the one.

I flew back to London two days ago on Thai....flight was 30% full,even less than the 40% going out a month ago.

Not sure if I will continue to pay a 50% premium on EVA prices for essentially the same product and service. Thai pricing isn't moving whatsoever,even with ridiculously low passenger numbers!

Even when you see the Thai plane half empty of passengers you are not aware of where the real revenue is earned ? Under your feet (ie) cargo

Thai Airways have major cargo contracts hence the deployment of large wide body aircraft on the route (ie) B747 -400.

:bhappy Same in the usa too. Just price tickets for october for 946.00 usd.

that is from mci (kansas city) to bkk. total of 10,246 miles.

they had been 1400.00 usd.

Billions,

It's to do with when the airlines release the seats mate. EVA have released a number of seats on the aircraft between specified dates for a specified price, Thai have yet to do so thus their standard seat price applies. Come Xmas the offers come out and with any luck Thai will bulk release their seats for a set price depending upon their competitors.

Nothing to do with Cargo. EVA used to run 747-400 Combis on the LHR-BKK route (half cargo half passenger) which they converted to full cargo and ended up putting a 777-333ER service between LHR-BKK as it was more lucrative. I know that you get £35 per kg airfrieght cargo, plus you don't have to feed it, but in the real world your plane isn't always full and you end up taking any freight at a reduced price to break even.

Anyway, Billions , if you PM me my local TA deals direct with EVA and can offer flights advertised during the "happy hour" all day long.

I booked last night after 11-00pm UK time direct with Eva, out 5th November return 17th December, 6 weeks £543. I think this promotion may finish in 7 hours time, 06-00 UK.

I was very interested to read the posts by Gus and Marleyboy about the 30 day restriction on Thai offers,and deals over this length of trip not being discounted. My enquiries were for 31 days and the price was always about 800 GBP. So,armed with this information,I changed the trip to 30 days and Thai are now just over 600 GBP! Result! Next trip now booked! Thanks to all who helped with providing information in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just booked my ticket...............going in January for 6 weeks. Its the most Ive ever paid though! I paid £737!!!!!! That was with Thai. I could have got Eva for £582 but I much prefer the flight times with Thai Airways....................I weighed it all up............ I would have saved about £140 -£150 flying with Eva (of course Id have saved lots more by going non-direct!) in the end I decided it was better to go with Thai.........................When I went last time (jan and feb this year) I was lucky enough (first time EVER!) to have 3 seats to myself ...........in BOTH! directions...........seeing as Im paying £150 more this time! I am hoping for the same!

ps. Thai is way more expensive only because Im going for 6 weeks. If Id have gone for less than a month, it would have been more or less the same price as Eva!?

• 2 weeks later...

So Im back. Worst trip of my life and probably my last. Heres a tip. NEVER fly BA especially if they are using the 777's.

The seat spacing is horrendous, little more than being in a mini prison cell. You cant move and you pray the person in front doesnt drop their seat back, back because if they do you are trapped. The seats were so worn that my bum just went through it onto the hard base. They ran out of decent food and had to offer 25% of passengers a Vegetarian pasta. (I told them where to throw it, good job I had sandwiches.). Also the outbound flight was staffed exclusively by mincing shirtlifters. Im quite happy with gays but these twats were mincing around like they were in a drag show.

THAT WAS JUST THE OUTBOUND.

The inbound was where the REAL fun started.

Inbound. Departure 21st October 11.20 AM. (Allegedly)

I did an Online Check in at Midday on the 20th and printed my Boarding pass. There was nothing mentioned about any delay.

THEN at 1639 later that afternoon, I get an email from BA.

Flight Information Dear Customer, Flight BA0010 on 21-Oct/BKK - is delayed and will now depart at 08:30 local time on 22nd. BA apologise for the inconvenience. Yours sincerely, British Airways Customer Services

Is that it? Is that all, No more information?? I emailed (No response) I phoned 5 numbers in BKK and UK (No answers)

Fortunately I used to be in the Travel Business and knew to present myself at the normal check in time as they would be obligated to provide a Hotel, transport and food.

Then at 2312 Local time I get this email:

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX
This email is sent on behalf of British Airways to inform you that BA10/21Oct has been delayed.
Hence the new departure time from BKK is 0830(LT) on 22Oct.

For any further queries, please log on to ba.com before arriving at the airport.
Thank you for flying with British Airways. Hope you have a comfortable and safe journey ahead.

Regards,

Shridevi

Amazing ! Logging on to the BA site all they had at that time was the announcement that due to the effects of the Hurricane some Short Haul flights were being cancelled or rerouted.

A Little later another announcement on the website stated (Youll love this)

"BA0010 delay. Passengers recieving notification emails from BA need not go to Airport. Passengers not receiveing emails should present themselves at the Airport at the normal time".

EHH ????? WHAT ??

Sod that. If you dont go to the airport at the correct time they can actually state you didnt check in. I arrived at the Airport at 0730.

There was already a couple of guys there waiting but they were completely in the dark about the cancellation and knew nothing about it even though they had given BA their emails for notification.

From the 20 people I asked, only 3 others had received any notification from BA.

0800 Check In staff arrive and dump A4 sheets on the check in desks. This informed us that the Delay/Cancellation was due to the outbound flight to BKK BA009 had 'Technical problems.

It also advised us that transport, Hotel and food would be provided (which it was)

I asked about being rebooked onto another flight, as at 0800 hrs n the morning there would he a hell of a lot of flights from BKK to LHR which we could be switched onto during the day. Got the standard Thai Reply "No Have Sir". (I later found out that a lot of club and first passengere had indeed been rebooked onto the 1250 Thai flight to LHR). BA had an obligation to rebook any passeger that asked to be rebooked onto other carriers. They failed.

We were then taken to a Hotel around halfway back to BKK for the night. A predominantly Chinese Hotel complete with spitoons.

Our early call would be at 0400 (!!!!) when Breakfast would be provided then transported to the Airport for departure at 0820. The breakfast was COLD. Cold Fried Bacon, cold sausages, cold fried eggs, unbelievable. When checking out we were asked if we used the Mini Bar? How could we? All the Mini Bars for us BA passengers were LOCKED.

Check in and boarding was as expected, apart from which, when the plane was all boarded and doors closed it was announced that the plane had not been refueld so could we all turn phones and computers off while it was being done!!.

Flight was half empty and we were delighted to find that nearly everyone had 3 most uncomfortable seats to themselves. Oh Bliss Oh Heaven.

Back at Heathrow later I spoke to one of the Cabin crew who told myself and some others that they had not even been notified of the Cancellation/Delay untill 22.30 on the 20th and that the delay was caused by a lightning strike on the earlier BA009 flight.

Final Insult.

Heathrows 'Arrivals Board, mixed up our flight BA0010X with the scheduled BA0010 due in 2 hours later and posted it was not due to arrive untill 1735 when we had actually landed at 1500 hours. Meaning a lot of people (me included) did not have people there to collect us.

Ive already sent in my claim for Compensation.

Edited by Goldpanner
  • Upvote 4

Goldpanner, that's a tale of abysmal customer service which everyone should be reading. I don't know what it is with BA, their CS stinks. we were "stranded" in the PI back when the skies above the UK closed due to the volcanic eruption. (It added 3 weeks on a 6 month break, so no big deal) but what got to me was the total lack of information for other travellers, apathetic Cabin crew and staff and a total disregard for the inconvenience caused when we got to HK.

The irony being we had booked Cathay Pacific for our inbound and outbound, but it was a codeshare flight with BA. All credit to Cathay, they kept us in the loop and got us as far as HK and even booked us on our connecting flight (when we were eventually given our return dates), but good old BA managed to put me in one seat, Mrs Butch in another and our 4 year old in between two other passengers further down the plane. Personally I didn't have a problem with this, as far as I was concerned , if they want to put my 4 yr old daughter with 2 strangers on a 12 hour flight, fucking good luck to them. At least I'll get some peace.

The BA desk in HK decided to fix it by upgrading 3 other passengers (well, someone got some good karma back, shame it wasn't us!) and giving us their economy seats then moving other people around the plane, rather than take the simple approach, which illustrated to me what a total bunch of fucktards they really are. When we arrived in the UK our claim went in, we got nothing in return, not even a letter of apology. Fucking wankers, the lot of them.

I'll only fly BA if there is nothing else around, but for the last few years it has always been Cathay to MNL. Any trips to LOS then I tend to stick with EVA who, while may not be up to the standard of a few years ago, remain consistent.

I was unaware of the fact that the Airlines need to provide transport and accommodation etc if you turn up to check in. That's a sneaky way of saving cash, telling their passengers not to come to the airport, and a good tip to remember for the future. Good tip worth remembering.

Thanks for the post, shame the trip home was marred by the events, hopefully mate the next one might be better.

• Upvote 1

Im now waiting for a resonse to my claim. Ive given them 14 days to respond. Unless they do I'll send a Notice before Action then file a County Court Claim against them.

If it had just been a simple delay with no bullshit I would have let it go but this one went beyond the pale

• Upvote 1

Things are getting better, after the final Huzar appeal decision

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/airlines-face-claims-for-millions-after-supreme-court-passenger-compensation-ruling-9832031.html

Britain’s airlines are preparing themselves for a flood of flight delay compensation claims after the Supreme Court threw out applications by two airlines to appeal earlier verdicts.

When passenger rights rules took effect a decade ago, cash compensation was payable only for cancellation and overbooking. But test cases held that a three-hour plus delay was equivalent to cancellation, and that passengers were due between €250 and €600, depending on the length of the flight.

The airlines’ only defence is “extraordinary circumstances”. Many carriers have asserted the defence when delays were caused by technical defects. But Ronald Huzar, a passenger from Stockport, successfully claimed compensation from Jet2 after a 27-hour mechanical delay on a flight from Malaga to Manchester in October 2011.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well 3 weeks on from my claim, no response from BA so it a now a letter before action then County Court.

Ave at 'em! I have a bad taste in my mouth still from some shitty treatment from BA many years back!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just been checking prices for May from Manchester and some BKK tickets are coming in at under £450!! :bhappy

Also the evening Emirates flight (EK19/20) is switching to A380 between Feb 1st and March 28th. Wonder if that is an indication of a permanent switch to A380 at some point in the future on the Ek19/20 rota.

Don't get me going! The prices for Thai Air (the only direct flight out of NZ to Bangkok) are sky high way into this year. Its about the same distance as LHR but all January the price has been almost $2200 or about eleven hundred pounds sterling. Mi year its $1750 so I may have to go back to Qantas or risk waiting for specials.

Probably because of the big drop in Oil prices, both Eva and Thai seem to have upped their economy baggage allowance to 30Kgs.

....and,with the basic loyalty club membership....Orchid Club,which Thai give out for free,on application....passengers in Economy get a further 10 kilo allowance.....so,that's 40 kilos,not bad,not bad at all! Probably explains why I got away with 35 kilos on my last couple of flights. I thought the check-in staff were turning a blind eye when in fact they were just respecting the new limits.

Thanks for that Billions, I do have a Thai Orchid club membership and will be booking in the next few days, but 20Kg is enough for me to lug about and these days i don't tend to buy much in Thailand to bring home.

Chok Dee

I can't comment on flight costs with other airlines, but last year I started tracking Thai Airways flight costs from Heathrow - BKK.

Between July and September for a flight in November the cost of their cheapest seat rose from 605.00 - 614.00. Currently for a flight in May it's 609.00. The most expensive last year rose from 1040.00 to 1054.00. This year it is currently 1049.00.

KM

Probably because of the big drop in Oil prices, both Eva and Thai seem to have upped their economy baggage allowance to 30Kgs.

Gus mate I know Thai have upped their baggage to 30 but can't find anything for EVA (fb, website) have they done it on the UK-Los routes do you know?.

Edited by Butch

Butch, It was on the WestEastTravel home page where I read about the 30Kg baggage allowance with Eva, maybe you have to book with westeast to get the allowance, or you can call the Eva office in London to see whats what.

• Upvote 1