Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Dubai Ultimate Airport.

If like me you like airports and flying the full series of Ultimate Airport Dubai is avaialable online.

You may have to click on several links to get one to work but youll find one. I always find 'daclips.in' always works

http://www.mywatchseries.ac/episode/Ultimate_Airport_Dubai_s1_e1.html

When youve watched an episode go to the original page and click "Next Episode"

• Upvote 1

If like me you like airports and flying the full series of Ultimate Airport Dubai is avaialable online.

You may have to click on several links to get one to work but youll find one. I always find 'daclips.in' always works

http://www.mywatchseries.ac/episode/Ultimate_Airport_Dubai_s1_e1.html

When youve watched an episode go to the original page and click "Next Episode"

What is Fulltab?

I remember when it was a shithole...Interesting series though.

If anyone is into planes, there's a good youtube doco called "747 in D check" which goes into the process of the D check each airliner has to go through every so often.

I remember back in 1999 when all Dubai airport was just a square departure terminal building,(and it was small, and I mean VERY SMALL building) before they built terminal 1.

I remember when it was a shithole...Interesting series though.

If anyone is into planes, there's a good youtube doco called "747 in D check" which goes into the process of the D check each airliner has to go through every so often.

I do too. Boy you could pick up a bottle of single malt cheap though!!!

Bought a bottle of Drambui last trip through Dubai and used a credit card, so didn't realise what I paid until I got the statement, won't be doing that again!

Dubai is still a shit hole. Stairs, elevators and bloody trains. Their Duty Free has been a rip off for the past twenty years or more. Emirates have gone down the tubes too.

Edited by Bob Belzy
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Just reading this shocking story today.......Dubai it seems can be a dangerous, brutal and unforgiving airport...........For the un-Birka'd that is.

While we are supposed to accept any ME custom or 'letter-box' garb with grovelling good grace........

...........this type of cultural acceptance is a one way street.

Have a read........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6044095/Mother-locked-three-days-daughter-sweltering-Dubai-jail.html

On my return from BKK in June via Dubai I disembarked to catch the Manchester flight, and went straight through security checks. After a long ramble I finally found my way to the A gate only to discover it was a bus. After a 40 minute tour of the Airport driving around the apron under A380's wings and views any airline enthusiast would dream of, I was dropped of at...........................yes, another security check.

Once at the boarding gate, the passengers were checked on arrival, and many were directed to another security check.

Think you need at least a 4 hour stopover if you want to do any serious shopping.

Really looking forward to doing it all again on Monday when I return.

• Upvote 1

I haven't been through Dubai for years and years. I can remember buying up 4 bottles of cheap Dom Perignon and selling them soon afterwards in the UK for a tidy profit though. Dubai used to be uber cheap for stuff, not sure what the prices are like these days.

As for the security checks, they take the absolute piss. I'm all for airline safety but they could perhaps streamline the process a little bit.

Edited by Butch

Just reading this shocking story today.......Dubai it seems can be a dangerous, brutal and unforgiving airport...........For the un-Birka'd that is.

While we are supposed to accept any ME custom or 'letter-box' garb with grovelling good grace........

Have a read........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6044095/Mother-locked-three-days-daughter-sweltering-Dubai-jail.html

As always totally one sided reporting by the Daily Fail...

She tried to enter Dubai without a valid visa so no doubt got snotty with the immigration official when refused entry and then started filming immigration official..... bad idea!!!

I have watched this programme since it started.

The new season starts on nat geo in uk next week.

There was a Heathrow airport version on ITV1 a month or two ago.

She thought buying a return trip ticket and another long flight was unthinkable. She stated she is out 30,000 pounds in legal fees, drained the bank account and had to close her practice. Maybe she should have thought a little longer. I have seen people lose it in foreign countries at immigration control points. Do they stop to think that they are not in their home country?

I think her definition of unthinkable may have changed.

I haven't been through Dubai for years and years. I can remember buying up 4 bottles of cheap Dom Perignon and selling them soon afterwards in the UK for a tidy profit though. Dubai used to be uber cheap for stuff, not sure what the prices are like these days.

As for the security checks, they take the absolute piss. I'm all for airline safety but they could perhaps streamline the process a little bit.

Those were days long gone. I was a Middle East road warrior and a transit via Dubai, with the single Malts at peanut prices are a thing of the past.

The prices these days are over the top, I used a credit card for a big bottle of Drambuie and had no real concept of the price in UAE Dirhams, I certainly noticed it on the statement in Sterling.

BiZ security was 2 checks last time I did transit, a hectic one that was bedlam on landing, and a perfunctory hand baggage one at boarding. These mega airports like Dubai, Doha etc are all about glitz and herding!

Have a read........

As always totally one sided reporting by the Daily Fail...

She tried to enter Dubai without a valid visa so no doubt got snotty with the immigration official when refused entry and then started filming immigration official..... bad idea!!!

As always there are two sides to every story.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dubai-police-claim-brit-mum-13065053

Now an airport official has told the Sun their side of the story, slammed the dentist from Kent and insisted there is "more to it" than first thought.

The official from Dubai Airport said: "UAE law is strict on people recording others on their mobile phone without permission, which will not have helped Dr Holman’s case.

“She became abusive towards airport staff, which is not tolerated."

It's understood Dr Holman was visiting the country on a five-day break.

Dr Holman had originally claimed she had assumed her visa was valid as she had visited the country many times previously and it hadn't expired.

But she said she was told it was a one-trip visa and no longer valid. The official said this was not the case and stressed her arrest was linked to filming inside the airport.

Edited by TheFiend

As always there are two sides to every story.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dubai-police-claim-brit-mum-13065053

The Daily Fail?

Just like that daily right wing rag the Guardian then......or The Times........

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/10/woman-held-in-dubai-with-daughter-for-drinking-glass-of-wine-on-flight

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mother-and-daughter-held-in-dubai-after-glass-of-wine-on-flight-twltqccgv

Yes, as always two sides.........He said she said.

It's clear you've picked one and this lady and her child got what they deserved. No criticism can be attached to Dubai officials.

The Daily Fail?

Just like that daily right wing rag the Guardian then......or The Times........

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/10/woman-held-in-dubai-with-daughter-for-drinking-glass-of-wine-on-flight

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mother-and-daughter-held-in-dubai-after-glass-of-wine-on-flight-twltqccgv

Yes, as always two sides.........He said she said.

It's clear you've picked one and this lady and her child got what they deserved. No criticism can be attached to Dubai officials.

Wrong, I haven't picked a side, just illustrating how the press sensationalise articles..... Notice how the fact that she is a Swedish national has been missed out on most of the articles.

She made a big mistake in deciding to film the immigration official. If she had stayed calm she could have used the argument it was Emirates responsibility to fly them back to the UK as they allowed her to fly with an invalid visa. She wouldn't qualify for Visa on Arrival with a Swedish passport.

Wrong, I haven't picked a side, just illustrating how the press sensationalise articles.....

Notice how the fact that she is a Swedish national has been missed out on most of the articles.

She made a big mistake in deciding to film the immigration official. If she had stayed calm she could have used the argument it was Emirates responsibility to fly them back to the UK as they allowed her to fly with an invalid visa. She wouldn't qualify for Visa on Arrival with a Swedish passport.

It was the Daily Mail......you specified not the general press.

Most news papers eventually caught up with he fact she was Swedish.

Most carried the same details as the Daily Fail including the 'Holy' Guardian.

She was in the wrong visa-wise...........

The Daily Fail if you can believe them says she's, 'free to come home...charges dropped and Dubai Authorities will pay for her flight............'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6049925/British-mother-jailed-Dubai-daughter-drinking-wine-Emirates-flight-FREE-home.html

I'll wait until CNN verifies it. ^_^

Edited by atlas2

Considering the incident happened July 13th I'm surprised it took so long for the "news" to hit the British press......

It's good that the UAE authorities have now dropped all charges and allowed her to fly home..... Perhaps she will be more careful in future.

A lot of incidents seem to center on people who don't understand how visas work or overstay a visa and exacerbate their problems by not showing deferential respect to foreign immigration officials.

Yes situations can be bad but we can certainly contribute to making them worse. Best to exercise self control no matter how stressed we get. It is not our country and it is not our legal system.

A lot of incidents seem to center on people who don't understand how visas work or overstay a visa and exacerbate their problems by not showing deferential respect to foreign immigration officials.

Yes situations can be bad but we can certainly contribute to making them worse. Best to exercise self control no matter how stressed we get. It is not our country and it is not our legal system.

Visas don't give automatic right of entry..... the final decision is up to the Immigration Officer stamping the Passport... Bad idea to start arguing with an Immigration Officer anywhere in the world, and not just Dubai.

• Upvote 1

Visas don't give automatic right of entry..... the final decision is up to the Immigration Officer stamping the Passport... Bad idea to start arguing with an Immigration Officer anywhere in the world, and not just Dubai.

True, and although not making excuses for how she was treated, one has to respect the culture of the place one is visiting. Emaratis can be a bit haughty, and not only illegally filming the official, she may have given him some attitude, I would expect a possible chauvinistic response.

True, and although not making excuses for how she was treated, one has to respect the culture of the place one is visiting. Emaratis can be a bit haughty, and not only illegally filming the official, she may have given him some attitude, I would expect a possible chauvinistic response.

Many decades ago there was this notion of the Ugly American traveler. It was because of the self righteous, holier than though attitude toward others. I think that contagion has spread to other cultures. Fortunately there is a cure. Being aware of that perception and not succumbing to it. I have no doubt that foreign officials know about it. Some may actually be hoping for it.

Let's call it, The Ugly American Syndrome but note that it is not exclusive to Americans.

Many decades ago there was this notion of the Ugly American traveler. It was because of the self righteous, holier than though attitude toward others. I think that contagion has spread to other cultures. Fortunately there is a cure. Being aware of that perception and not succumbing to it. I have no doubt that foreign officials know about it. Some may actually be hoping for it.

Let's call it, The Ugly American Syndrome but note that it is not exclusive to Americans.

Many years ago there was a reality TV series in the UK about Easyjet...... some travelers on that series on that program exhibited holier than thou attitudes if they turned up late for check-in or turned up without the right documents..... Plenty of Brits believe rules don't apply to them.

A spin-off series was done in the U with Southwestern Airlines....